CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St Jean

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

St Jean

Alright, I am in the military and being posted from Ottawa to St-Jean. My question is that I was a member at Hylands in Ottawa (military course, 36 holes and was paying around $800/year), I was trying to find any nice courses around St-Hubert/ St- Jean and so far the only one that I could find was Farnham for $1400 (quite a jump from $800 for 36 holes to only get 18 holes). My question is that I need help finding a good course to play at that does not charge to high of initiation fees or none as I will be in the area for only 4 years and then on to somewhere else in Canada, so not really interested in shelling out big money on initiation. If you know of any good courses or if you know if there is a military one and any review on them would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Claude

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    A local club ho is not allowed to move. Tell your sergeant. Anyway I don't know if there are any military courses on the Montreal south Shore. I know of a municipal course in Brossard and one in Longueuil. I would also check out the Granby area. I'll ask the bro in law for more info. Maybe bigeasy can tell you more as he is originally from that area. Good luck with the move.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Well, join the ranks of those who left wonderful Hylands. I'm in Borden now and luckily the 9-hole course is just steps away from the office and the 18 one, just 3-4 minute drive.

As for St-Jean, when I was there in the early 90s, there were 3 courses/clubs that stood over the others: Golf st-jean Ltee which is exclusively private ( (450) 346-6814, (450) 346-3854, (514) 990-2099 Serge Lajeunesse), Pinegrove, a very challenging and beautiful track from the back tees in St-Luc http://www.golfpinegrove.ca/contactinfor/contact.html and Club de golf Les Legendes, in St-Luc (Phone: 450.349.2915 )

Good luck at the Megaplex...
    nice_lag
    Almonte

bill1405

St-Jean

I'm originally from Farnham. I think I can help you with the courses in the region.

Don't expect to pay $800.00 in this area for 18 decent holes. Its impossible. Being within 30 minutes of Montreal the demand is to high.

- Brossard (I lived there for 11 years before moving to Gatineau): Very well located along highway 10. But sometime noisy and not well maintained.

- Longueuil: Municipal course (36 holes) very well maintained, bent grass, etc. But they don't have membership. Don't need them too much business with the green fees. In fact that is the problem in this area. More and more clubs are getting away from membership.

- St-Luc: Very near St-Jean. Have not played there for long time, but fairways used to be as hard as concrete.

- Pine Grove: If you are willing to spend the 20 to 25,000 dollars for initiation fees... And that after you past the interview for beign considered...

- I would consider St-Césaire. I was a member there for 4 years. Note a spectacular course, but for the price it used to be a good deal. They used to have a lot of tournaments but the would keep open starting times for members on weekends (from opening to 8:30 or 9:00 something like that). Besides you can get to the course from St-Jean through the back roads within 25 minutes, depending where you stay. If you choose the highway (35 and 10) they are at exit 48, approx. 2 kil. form the exit. I'll probalby be moving to the south shore myself next summer and St-Césaire will be an option, along with Candiac.

Hope this help.

Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi

Monteregie area golf

Bill1405 thanks for the advice, I went online and found a site that had a lot of course for the Monteregie area (South shore of Montreal). I will probably move to the St-Hubert area and found 2 courses that seemed to be good and within 30 min drive. Le Riviera ($1575/year and 18 holes, group Beaudet which ownes 5 courses and for $1700 you get a membership at all 5 courses but the other 4 seemed far) and Club de Golf La Madelaine ($1960/year, public but 36 holes) I have been spoiled here in Ottawa and belonged to a private military courses of 36 holes for cheap.
    Have you ever heard of those 2 courses and in so can you give me advise as to which one is more worth it.
    Thanks
    Claude

bill1405

St-Jean

I played Le Riviera once, 5 years ago. The problem with this cours is that they ran out of proprety to built the course. I'm sure you will see for yourself first.

I played La Madeleine about 10 years ago on the Presidentiel. The Doral was not even built yet. So I can't really comment.

Chieflongtee mentionned La Prairie as a possibility. I know they have a new owner for the last 2-3 years but if the have maintained the same philosophy as previous owner they just cut the grass and that's it. They also did not bother with a starter. You would put your ball in line and go from there.

And you are right, we are spoiled here in Ottawa for the amount of courses and their quality.

La Riviera

Bill, what do you mean by they ran out of property for the course. I see that they are a par 71 which is no big deal and from the back tee they are at some 6300 + yds which is not bad. You said that you played it about 5 years ago, can you tell me (if you remember) the conditions of the fw and greens. I know I am asking much but could be helpfull as I am leaning towards that course for proximity reason.
    Thanks
    Claude

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Claude,

Definitely try LaMadeleine. The Doral is a very nice 18-holes and very challenging. The only problem is sometime course condition. Apparently they improved quite a bit in that regard. St-Césaire is a nice pick too. However, IMO, the best course in that area ( I used to live on the south shore of Montreal) is Cowansville. It's a semi-private course, with mature trees and normally in excellent shape. Really worth the drive...

bill1405

St-Jean

I remember that the conditions, for a fairly new course back then, were fair. But the fairways were (too?) narrow. That is what I ment when I said they ran out of property.

Bill

Riviera

Thanks for the answer Bill, I called the Riviera and was not too happy with what they told me about their membership (ie hardly any tourny for members as they don't look after that and it is up to the 100 or so members to organize them). I will probably end up taking the membership at La Madelaine as it has 36 holes and better organization for tourny.
    Thanks
    Claude

Thread Information