CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

1dash1

Club Championship

364 days a year, a club plays under the regular rules of golf, unamended. No problems. No disputes.

One day a year, the club plays its championship. Same regular members participate - no sleepers or unknowns.

They impose the "one ball rule" for this tournament.

When asked why they have the rule, the answers vary from "tradition" to "because that's how other club championships are run". None of the responses hint at any need due to expertise.

(Note: The club happens to consist of women. None of whom can hit a drive further than 220 yards, most of whom hit their drives between 160 and 180. I.e., none of the players generate exceptional clubhead speed. Handicaps vary from 8 thru 30+.)

What do you all think about their once-a-year rule? Good idea or bad?

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    I don't know, i think it can be a good idea, it's the focus of a challenge.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dash1
    364 days a year, a club plays under the regular rules of golf, unamended. No problems. No disputes.

One day a year, the club plays its championship. Same regular members participate - no sleepers or unknowns.

When asked why they have the rule, the answers vary from "tradition" to "because that's how other club championships are run". None of the responses hint at any need due to expertise.
    I had always thought that the primary reason for the "one ball rule" in competitions was in order to verify ball identifications in potential lost-ball situations. So if you have to announce that you're playing a Titleist, then there is no way that a Top Flite you found in the woods can be your ball. That is the only reason that makes any sense to me.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Why would they impose such a rule?

Some fantastic performances would be eliminated by this rule. They could very easily deny the true champion.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Why would they impose such a rule?

Some fantastic performances would be eliminated by this rule. They could very easily deny the true champion.
    How would any fantastic performances be eliminated by this rule? All you have to do it is carry all the same make of ball for one round. That is not to hard to manage. If you can shoot 70 with a Titleist then how is teeing up a Topflite going to help you?
    Personally I don't think it is a big deal. Buy a dozen new balls for the round and go play, you won't run out of balls.
    Plus the rule brings a litte professionalism into the tournament, afterall the Pros have to play the same ball for an entire round, why can't we?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

1dash1
    The reason I posted this was to learn a little more about other's view on such things.

- To those who favor the rule based on tradition, I bow my head and withhold further argument. (If doing things for the sake of doing them is the purpose, what can I say to counter such reasoning?)

- For those who pose practical justifications for the one ball rule, I'd suggest that if such were the case, then the club should adopt the one ball rule year-round.

My personal opinion is that Committees should consider the need for local rules and Conditions of Competition. If one is needed, enact it. If it is not needed, dispense with it. When in doubt, leave it out. The fewer the rules, the better.

The game is complete and whole upon itself. The less the Committee tinkers with it, the better.

In this instance, the club does perfectly well without the one ball rule throughout the year. Clearly, such rule is unnecessary from the standpoint of conducting the competition.

That leaves the intangilble benefits of what may be otherwise gained ("be like Mikey" - mimicking other club championships, prestige, tradition, and what not). These should be weighed against the downside of penalizing a player for something that has nothing to do with the basic game (as governed by the 34 regular rules of golf).

It's like the Prom Committee's decision to make the dance a tuxedo affair - it's a value judgment of making the affair formal that needs to be weighed against the downside of excluding those who may be unable to afford the cost.

The decision is not "right" or "wrong".

Hopefully, the Committee's decision is well thought out.

I misunderstood the rule

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    How would any fantastic performances be eliminated by this rule? All you have to do it is carry all the same make of ball for one round. That is not to hard to manage. If you can shoot 70 with a Titleist then how is teeing up a Topflite going to help you?
    Personally I don't think it is a big deal. Buy a dozen new balls for the round and go play, you won't run out of balls.
    Plus the rule brings a litte professionalism into the tournament, afterall the Pros have to play the same ball for an entire round, why can't we?
    As I posted later, I misunderstood the meaning of a "one ball rule" which has yet to be clarified (but I gather it means each tournament participant must play the same type of ball throughout the tournament)

I thought it meant your get one ball for the tournament: lose it, and you are eliminated.

Imposition of that type of "one ball rule" could drastically change the outcome of a tournament.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quoting Oscar's grandmother: "Better to burn down the house than break a tradition."

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

(Note: The club happens to consist of women. None of whom can hit a drive further than 220 yards, most of whom hit their drives between 160 and 180. I.e., none of the players generate exceptional clubhead speed. Handicaps vary from 8 thru 30+.)

A local rule like this one is imposed to protect the rest of the field, and to simplify identification in case of a dispute over a lost ball or a new ball being put into play. A competitor should, as a matter of etiquette, announce to his group on the first tee, which brand and model of ball he/she is playing. Since the rules don't state that you are required to do this, either on the tee or when putting another ball into play, or that you can't in fact play different brands of conforming balls during the same round, it just makes things simpler for all involved. One less thing to worry about when you're on the course.

I like it. What are your thoughts on it 1dash1?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Ok I guess I need more clarification on the "one ball rule" I took it to mean you get one ball for the tournament: dunk it in thw water and youre dq'd

We have this rule in our texas shootout each year.

If the one ball rule simply means you have to play the same brand and # of ball all tournament long I have no problems with it.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    The R&A introduces the Condition of Competition relation to the 'one ball condition with the following

"The following two conditions are recommended only for competitions involving expert players:
    a. List of Conforming Golf Balls
    b. One Ball Condition "

I can't see how this fits in with the once a year idea. What has suddenly made all these players expert.
    Nor can I see what it has to do with identification. If a tour player declare he is playing with a Pro VI it is likely that half the field is using the same ball/type. They all put their own ID on anyway as required in Rule 6-5.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    Nor can I see what it has to do with identification. If a tour player declare he is playing with a Pro VI it is likely that half the field is using the same ball/type. They all put their own ID on anyway as required in Rule 6-5.
    Rule 6-5 does not require you to put your own ID on the ball. It only says that you should - not that you must.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Rule 6-5 does not require you to put your own ID on the ball. It only says that you should - not that you must.
    Yes, I should have remembered the specific usage by the RBs.

I was using the word 'require' as meaning 'instruct or expect someone to do something'. One of the definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    The main use of the one ball rule is to prevent players from playing a rock hard ball on the par 5's for distance and switching to a mushy soft balata on the par 3's for bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    The main use of the one ball rule is to prevent players from playing a rock hard ball on the par 5's for distance and switching to a mushy soft balata on the par 3's for bite.
    Competitions for experts then

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I gather it means each tournament participant must play the same type of ball throughout the tournament
    Same make and model for each stipulated round. You could play a different make and model for round two than round one. Bring as many as you want.

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    I dont see a problem with a one ball rule.....I only play one brand/make of golf ball anyway. Srixon Z-UR-S is the only ones in my bag next season.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ap_logan
    I dont see a problem with a one ball rule.
    I don't think that anyone would have any difficulty playing one kind of ball, but, why do the blue coats or anyone else feel that it is necessary that we play only one?

The game is probably easier when you get to know exactly what your ball of choice can do or not do and adding a second, contrasting ball to the mix is of NO advantage.

You can use a range finder to pinpoint a yardage, but you can't play a ProV1 on #2 if you play a ProV1 x on #1.

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    If I may ask.........why would you want to play one kind of ball on one hole...and a different ball on another hole in the same nine?

I play a specific ball all the time no matter what hole, or what weather. That way I have the feel for one ball.

Dont the Pros have to play with one ball (same brand/model) in a round as well?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ap_logan
    If I may ask.........why would you want to play one kind of ball on one hole...and a different ball on another hole in the same nine?

Dont the Pros have to play with one ball (same brand/model) in a round as well?
    Soft ball on a par 3 to stick it, hard ball on the par 5 to get maximunm distance.

Yes the PGA tour has the one ball rule as a local rule.

I sometimes wonder if this Condition was introduced onto the tours at the behest of the manufacturers. It ensures that their contracted players stick with their ball.
    I seem to remember McEnroe playing with a diguised Dunlop raquet when he was contracted to Wilson.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    I sometimes wonder if this Condition was introduced onto the tours at the behest of the manufacturers. It ensures that their contracted players stick with their ball.
    That wouldn't surprize me. I seem to remember following a tour event many years ago at Glen Abbey where a top player teed off with one brand and switched on the second hole. My friend and I asked the caddie and he said the player had to play a certain ball by contract but hated the ball. Can't remember who the player was.
    SH

Does tennis have a "one raquet rule"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Does tennis have a "one raquet rule"?
    No but the sponsors are ultra keen that 'their' players are 'seen' to be using them.
    A company I worked for made raquet strings and wanted the logo stencilled on the strings. We had big battles with the raquet manufactures about whose logo was on. Some bright spark suggested stencilling a different one on each face

So I am guessing you are totally in favour of the one ball rule.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Listen, ALL levels of professional golf use this Condition of Competition, so get off it. It's not a big deal. If you don't like it being used in your CC, go to the captain and state your position.

Two other things:

1. "Someone" COUGH COUGH BC MIST stated that balls really don't make a difference. Why do the REMAX Long Drive competitors use the Pinnacle Extreme Balls for their drives? I also challenge you to hit a regular Pro V1 into a howling wind as far as a
    Pro V1x. Doesn't happen. The regular Pro V1 spins a little more, and the X is able to cut through the wind a little better.

2. "Someone" got all bent out of shape when it was suggested that the typical private club players are better than others in this area. I think it's an inferiority complex myself. But if you look at the Intersectional matches over the last 10 years, Rivermead, Rideau View, and Ottawa Hunt are pretty much always in the A division. They must get lucky every year.

Back to the topic, however...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    sensfan63

"Someone" COUGH COUGH BC MIST stated that balls really don't make a difference.
    While I don’t mind being disagreed with, I would appreciate that if you are going to quote me, that you do so accurately versus lying just to make a point or to discredit mine. The only place where I said I saw no difference between a “Super Long” and a “ProV1x” is off the driver, as stated. I also stated at least one advantage(difference) of each type over the other.

Why do the REMAX Long Drive competitors use the Pinnacle Extreme Balls for their drives? Because they are paid to use them????

I also challenge you to hit a regular Pro V1 into a howling wind as far as a
    Pro V1x. Doesn't happen. The regular Pro V1 spins a little more, and the X is able to cut through the wind a little better.
    While your statement about these two balls is correct, your point is irrelevant as neither ball is classified as a distance ball.

"Someone" got all bent out of shape when it was suggested that the typical private club players are better than others in this area. If Canada has 100 world class curling teams and Japan has one, and the Japanese win the world championship, does that mean Japanese curlers are better than Canadian curlers? Just because the clubs you mentioned are in the A section of Intersectionals matches does not necessarily mean that they are better golfers than those at other clubs. It just means, and have you considered this? That there are just more of them. The depth of the private clubs makes the difference in winning or not, not each’s ultimate skill level.

I think it's an inferiority complex myself. What? Yours or mine? For your information, I spent many years as a member of two of the private clubs,(non-Clublink), played positions 1, 2 and or 3, on teams from Carleton and Rivermead (private) and Outaouais, in the “A” Intersectional matches. I assure you that being a member of a private club is nothing more special than being a member at any other, and playing on an “A” Intersectional team is no more or less significant that being on a team in “R” Division. While course conditions may be better on the average at private clubs, the beer tastes the same at the Meadows as it does at the Hunt, and is a heck of a lot cheaper, to boot. Each kind of club has some great people to play with and some jerks, too. I don’t know what the proper definition of an “expert” golfer is, but as I stated elsewhere, one does not have to be a member of a private club to be one. I would consider Chris McQuaig of the Hunt one, and Robert Fugere of Rivermead another, but I also listed elsewhere the names of others who are, IMO, experts, but do not belong to private clubs. Having also played with Canadian Amateur Champions, Warren Sye, Greg Olson and Graham Cooke over the years, and the likes of Brad Fritsch, Eric Kaufmanis and so on, I have a pretty good idea of what an expert golfer is. And while my golf game, like yours, is inferior to theirs, this does not make us inferior persons.

The one ball option is still unnecessary. Where's my rangefinder?

Apart from anything else, the main reason I'm against the idea is that I can't afford to use the same type, as that would mean buying them.
    I always play with 'foundlings', as long as they are new and expensive.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Apart from anything else, the main reason I'm against the idea is that I can't afford to use the same type, as that would mean buying them.
    I couldn't agree more. This is where the problem with this rule is. It forces a player who wouldn't otherwise do so, to go out and, IMO, waste money on golf balls. What the heck does that have to do with indentifying a club champion? Nothing. For experts yes, but if a 25 handicap player goes out to the Marshes to play in his division of the CC how many balls do you think he will need? He might be forced to CHANGE his regular, more expensive brand just to be sure he has enough balls to get around without running out. I'll have 3 dozen Molitors please.
    SH
    PS. Can you imagine what the market for used golf balls would be if this rule ever worked it's way into the every day game? Sure sounds like there's a chance that the manufacturers may have somehow had a hand in it's birth.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I think the secret is to play Nike golf balls if you don't have a lot of money cause I swear every other ball I find has a swoosh on it. I really think there must be Nike trees and they drop their fruit in the summer months. For all I know they might be good balls but I never played them, but you would never run out of those during a round down here in Pa. USA. Hit a ball in the woods and come out with three more nikes beside the one you went in to look for.
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 12-19-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Thread Information