100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    This email is in response to the question you submitted to the Royal Canadian Golf Association via our website, www.rcga.org.
    Please do not use Reply option to submit your further questions. They won't be answered.
    Your question was:

Here is the answer from the RCGA: (Not too helpful)

This question is related to the "one ball rule" that can be used in competition. The rule states that it is recommended for competitions involving "Expert" players. How do you determine what an expert player is? 1. Specifications of the Ball (Note to Rule 5-1) The following two conditions are recommended only for competitions involving expert players:

Here is our answer:

It is up to the Committee in charge of the competition to decide this. For example, the "one ball rule" is used at the Canadian Amateur. I would tend to err on the side of safety with respect to its application - in order not to trap players who may be unfamiliar with how it works.

Thank you for using our Ask a Question feature.
    We invite you back anytime!

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    I guess they really didnt answer what was considered to be an expert.........

But its up to the committee to decide if the rule is to be used. I like it.....others dont........ce la vie.

The plain and simple truth to this whole mess is that if you want to play by that rule when its envoked...do so.........if you dont want that rule...see your committee. Its that simple. If they dont want to change it you have the option of putting up with it, or not playing. Everybody cant have their way.

My idea was that it is like changing equipment during a round...but others dont see it that way.

Cheap balls are available, ie: 18 pack of Top Flites for $15......and a quality used ball can be had for a very reasonable price.

Guys, nobody is going to win this "discussion".....I dont think I have ever seen anybody get the last word from BC Mist LOL Its a matter of opinion if you like the rule or not.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ap_logan
    Cheap balls are available, ie: 18 pack of Top Flites for $15
    Hey man, I can buy 3 beers at my club for $15!!!! It's all about priorities!!!
    SH

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    I hear ya.....and depending on how the day went those 3 beers may be a nessecity!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Cheap balls are available, ie: 18 pack of Top Flites for $15......and a quality used ball can be had for a very reasonable price.
    I've got plenty of new balls for free. I can collect them from the OB alongside 1st which is not easily accessible whilst you are playing. Visiting parties always seem to use a new ball on the difficult 1st. Members wait til the 2nd.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Guys, nobody is going to win this "discussion".....I dont think I have ever seen anybody get the last word from BC Mist LOL Its a matter of opinion if you like the rule or not.
    If you want the last word, it is yours. However, as long there is a counter point to a NEW point, AND we remain civil, let the points of view flow.

Scramble tournaments are an interesting entity by themselves. The local organizers simply have you play by THEIR own modified rules regarding choice and use of golf balls, etc.. As a scramble format is NOT covered in the rules, IMO, it ought not to be used to make a point about the topic. Likewise,a long drive contest is NOT golf so again, none of the normal rules apply. I would suggest though, that this is one contest in which I would have the contestents (notice I did not say players) use one brand of ball.

Both SF63 and AP feel that changing equipment during a round should be kept unacceptable and I agree with the pertinent rules, and yes, it is logical. However, your golf ball is NOT part of your equipment,(check the definition) and so there should be NO "one ball rule."

I also agree that the private clubs have a disproportionate number of good golfers and some of the reasons are easy to understand. The financial comittment to play at these places is quite substantial and generally non-refundable, so players are not as transient, they play and practice more than the average non-member, many played under their parents membership as very young kids, and whose golf games developed under the watchful eyes of the parents and the club professionals in their well developed junior programmes. Memberships there are a little more "family" in nature. Paul Sherratt et al, at Rideau View, have done a magnificient job at developing their younger players, (Brad and Lee are just two) into low handicapped amateurs, and the fierce competition amongst the players at these clubs further develops their games.

We may have slightly difference definitions of what an expert golfer is. I have played with all of ones mentioned except Lee, his record speaks for itself, and I would agree that Mike, Chris, Bob, Brad and I gather Steven now, are "experts," I would not put Tom and Jeremy in this group at present, and this is probably due to family and job comittments. There have been a number of equally proficient experts from non-private clubs, namely Jeff Buder(now apro in BC) and Jody Hirkach(sp) from Arnprior, Mike and Bill Brown, Greg Olson, Chaudiere, Allan McGee and Chris Bernard, who both missed Canadian Tour qualifying by a whisker, and others over the years. BTW: If you remember Stan Kolar, one of the few master professionals in Canada, he named Bill Brown as the local golfer who had the greatest ability of anyone that he had seen.

I would equate the ProV1 with the Bridgestone B330S in that they spin more and fly a little shorter than their Big Brothers, however, the differences are still mouse farts for me ,although, if I had a choice between hitting a 8 iron into a green with the ProV1x, and a 7 iron with the ProV1 or B330S, I would choose the latter two as they both give me maximum control and would increase my accuracy where it counts - on and around the greens. At my swing speed the x gives me a little more distance, but for those of you with 105+ mph swing speeds, the extra distance would be greater. There is a trade-off with each type, obviously, but ultimately, control/accuracy is more important than distance, and I still don't see that HAVING to play only one type of ball, would benefit the game as a whole. Because the game is bigger than any one competition, I disagree that the rules could be different for one kind of play, tournaments, over any other.

My last comment on the topic. You can have the last word.

Thread Information