100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Actually Denny you should check out Canadian Tire as they have a 3 gallon compressor on sale for $79. It comes with the tool you are refering to. I know I have one. As far as no tape it is only for Star Grips. When it comes to grip size tape is factored in the equation. One layer of masking tape will equal a standard size grip. I purchased a transparent tube and a kit from Arnie Schwartz for $24 and it is a lot better than any shaft tube out there. If you want to be on the safe side buy a piece of PVC. I still prefer the transparent tube as I can see the grip all the way through.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 12-20-2005 at 05:27 PM.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    When you install grips with an air compressor you don't use tape. The grip just goes on over the shaft. I found my own answer today when I went to Artisan golf. The tape and solvant are really just there to slide the grip onto the shafts, you need same thing with an air compresser except it slides on a bed of air so no tape needed. Anybody know where to find an adapter for an air compressor to do this with? Something like this:

You can find the Adaptor for about 4-5 dollars in just about any store that sells compressor.
    Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.myostrichgolf.com/clubmak...roducts_id=789

The Grip Blaster - Grip Installation and Removal Tool

Blow grips on and off with air!

The Grip Blaster is a high quality machined tool that includes an air blow gun for precise control of air to do the job. The Grip Blaster's specially designed fitting allows for easy installation and removal of both round and molded (putter) grips.

Using your compressor and The Grip Blaster, you can dramatically improve your ability to save and reuse grips - great for allowing a customer to test a specific grip on his club in your shop!

Most grips can be safely removed in one piece with the proper application of air and a little solvent. Thin grips like Callaway grips, some wrapped grips and old or dried grips may not come off without being damaged. With practice, your success rate will go up, so don't give up!

Grips can be installed without grip tape - however grip tape can also be used for a more secure installation. Masking tape may be required for proper grip sizing even if grip tape is not used.
    Installing Grips with Air
    Clamp the golf shaft in an appropriate vise
    Size the grip (using build-up tape as necessary), and apply double-sided grip tape or masking tape to the shaft butt
    Dip the mouth of the grip in grip solvent - wetting the first 1/2" or so.
    Slide grip onto the shaft about 1/2"
    Place The Grip Blaster over the butt end of the grip, inserting the nossle tip into the grip air vent.
    Holding the grip near the butt, gently apply air while sliding the grip on - keeping The Grip Blaster firmly pressed against the grip butt.
    Short blasts of air may be applied to aid in aligning the grip once installed.
    Removing Grips with Air
    Clamp the golf shaft in an appropriate vise
    Puncture any grip tape covering the end of the shaft butt by sliding an awl into the grip vent hole. Remove the awl.
    Slide the Safety Tube over the grip, aligning the end with the grip butt
    Place The Grip Blaster into the vent hole of the grip, and apply a blast of air
    The grip will expand into the Safety Tube, which helps prevent the grip from exploding - though some may still explode or split. Remove these grips with a standard hooked knife.
    If the first blast of air does not free the grip, squirt a small amount of grip solvent into the vent hole and repeat
    If the grip "pops" and partially releases from the shaft, you may wish to remove the Safety Tube and assist removal by twisting the grip while applying air pressure. Many grips will simply slide free in one motion without assistance.
    Grips with underlistings may be removed by twisting the grip during the careful application of air. It takes some finesse, some solvent, and some luck, but even expensive, leather slip-on wraps can be safely removed and reused with The Grip Blaster.

Includes one Grip Blaster and one Safety Tube.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 12-20-2005 at 06:05 PM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Andre,
    I already have a compressor but want to the adapter. I think I will just buy one from crapy tire and put a needle on it. I don't really see the point though if you have to tape it and use solvant. I guess for removing old grips but I know that when I got my Accra shaft at Artisan he put a Titleist cord grip on the shaft using an air compressor without any tape and it didn't move a bit. The whole point of an air compressor to me is to eliminate having to waste time and mess with tape and solvant. I try it and see how it works.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Andre,
    I already have a compressor but want to the adapter. I think I will just buy one from crapy tire and put a needle on it. I don't really see the point though if you have to tape it and use solvant. I guess for removing old grips but I know that when I got my Accra shaft at Artisan he put a Titleist cord grip on the shaft using an air compressor without any tape and it didn't move a bit. The whole point of an air compressor to me is to eliminate having to waste time and mess with tape and solvant. I try it and see how it works.
    Thanks
    Whatever you do just be careful.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I will, I did hear that the grips can kind of explode on you if your not careful. Hopefully I won't learn that the hard way!

Pitching Wedge clubfixer is on a distinguished road clubfixer's Avatar
    About the nozzle. I just insert the pointed tip that it comes with into the hole in the grip and, no problems! Slides on and off easy. I STRONGLY recommend the use of a tube when removing!!! At least until the grip pops free the first time. After that you can wiggle the grip off with short blasts of air.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by clubfixer
    No, it will not move. Blow off the grip and save it, no loss there. The OD of the head of the 1/4" carriage bolt is slightly larger than the ID of the Graphite Shaft. The OD of the hex nuts are slightly smaller than the ID of the Graphite Shaft. A couple of wraps of electrical tape around the nuts snug them tight so there is no rattle. Blow the grip back on and your in business. When you want to remove it, simply pull it out and you are back to where you started. I can't think of an easier, less expensive way to test this theory. You can utilize different length bolts and # of nuts to come up with any weight you want to test. Try it with one of the butts you have cut off for final length so you can see from both sides how nice the fit is. Additionally, use a larger size bolt and nut for steel. Maybe 5/16", I have not tried it with steel.

Once you find the weight needed then you could use the cork and tungsten powder method if you desire.
    Tried the hex bolt thing (23gr. ) with a graphite shaft in a 7I to arrive at the exact total weight of the steel 7I that I am currently using. D2 vs. C4. Obviously it changed the whole bend profile of the graphite shaft. Overall, it felt more lively, but the major thing I noticed was the actual weight you felt in your hands through out the whole swing. There was definitly more control for ME ( maybe not for others ) of the club from the top. The trajectory was favorable.It seemed to discourage that dreaded over the top move. I didn'nt not like it, I would have to see results on turf, I think you would have trouble working the ball with this setup and I would not discourage people from giving it a try.

There does not seem to be any pattern that can be tracked as to who this can help, or how much weight is the right amount, that I have seen. I had recently built a set, 5 through SW, for a guy who hit all of them well except the 5. I put 32 grams in a 5 iron and now he likes it? This guy has a relatively flat swing with a definite shoulder first, over the top move. I had noticed that the marks left from the mat on the sole of his club changed from the rear edge to the leading edge, not that I noticed him casting the club prior to back weighting. The shots were down the middle with an 8 yard average gain from the 6 iron. Not to bad for not being able to advance the ball prior to back-weighting.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Play it as it lies...[/COLOR][/FONT]

A 1 plane swinger might like it as opposed to a 2 planer ?

Or maybe it will turn a two plane swinger into more of a one planer...

Also should mention that I did not have a problem feeling the clubhead with this swingwieght ( C4)

Same here. I could feel the hands more in the swing but not the added weight, or should I say the feel of where the head is during the swing.

Putter smellman is on a distinguished road

About Back-Weighting

After reading the responses to my inquiry, I think that many have some what missed the piont. The process of back-wieghting is not about making a shaft more Heavy. It IS about as one has said, the act of "fooling". I think it is an effect that increases Feel and is translated to hand action. I would like to keep the lines of communication open on this subject.
    Thanks, Smellman

Smellman,

Here is a link from Balance Certified that has some pretty interesting test results on this subject.

http://www.balance-certified.com/pag.../11/19/0150711

Putter smellman is on a distinguished road
    Thank you! This is way cool! I like this application better because of the ability to use the grip type that you like as opposed to the C-Forse brand, Victory Velvet Grip.

Thread Information