100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Ryu69 is on a distinguished road

Beginner Golf Set?

Hey guys, looking to get a buddy of mine a set of golf clubs (woods and irons included preferred) for Christmas. looking to spend about 300 to 500 before taxes. Just wondering what is a good set to get? He is a total beginner and wants to learn and get into the game? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I would go to Golftown or Sportchek, you'll definitely be able to find something within your budget. Wilson irons are always a good beginner set.
    Last edited by EDSGOLF; 12-12-2005 at 07:13 PM.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Last time I was there they still had a few Wilson complete sets at Chuck Brown's in Bells Corners at 50% off their already drastically-reduced prices. Would be worth checking out ASAP.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Putter Ryu69 is on a distinguished road
    thanks guys, will take a look.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Although every one loves shiny new clubs, they only look that way for a short time. The other option is to save money and get a better quality oem set by taking advantage of the many different sets that become available here.
    There are many well respected sellers.
    Money saved could result in better quality, or more well known used set.

p.s. (geez seems like a perfect spot to tell you, to just wait 3 days and a new set will be available from Geoff, but hey I don't know him, so I would never take a jab at him).
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark

p.s. (geez seems like a perfect spot to tell you, to just wait 3 days and a new set will be available from Geoff, but hey I don't know him, so I would never take a jab at him).
    too funny
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

We like to pull Geoff's leg. But fact is Geoff is one heck of a good guy
    I may be wrong but I believe these Clevelands will stay in the bag for a while. It's winter.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    We like to pull Geoff's leg. But fact is Geoff is one heck of a good guy
    I may be wrong but I believe these Clevelands will stay in the bag for a while. It's winter.
    Always been nice to me, and helpful in advice. You're right he does show all cleveland and it is winter...although where theres a dome..theres a will....
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Always been nice to me, and helpful in advice. You're right he does show all cleveland and it is winter...although where theres a dome..theres a will....
    Actually it's not a dome. I believe it's a cleaner's game on the 17Th. If he sells them I want to be first in line
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Oh you guys.. Just to let you all know as part of my CHA (club hos anonymous) program I am seeing somebody over the winter holidays in an attempt to cure my addiction.

Who am I kidding, its part of the enjoyment of the sport for me. SSSHHHHH don't tell my sponsor
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Your too nice geoff, must be a nice guy.
    Logged in and saw you were last reply. winced a little in preparation, but no pain. If it means anything I have been bugged in past about having an extra set or two around.
    I am kinda excited that I am just down to a few extra putters, 2 extra wedges, and a hybrid likely on its way out.
    Purging can be kinda therapeutic, especially now that I realize I can't buy a game (just lessons )
    Cheers, Shark

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    Well, for a beginner you can always find some good used clubs. That's what i did at first, i bought some cobra irons, an old big bertha driver, and cost me 200 dollars.

Your too nice geoff, must be a nice guy.
    Logged in and saw you were last reply. winced a little in preparation, but no pain. If it means anything I have been bugged in past about having an extra set or two around.
    I am kinda excited that I am just down to a few extra putters, 2 extra wedges, and a hybrid likely on its way out.
    Purging can be kinda therapeutic, especially now that I realize I can't buy a game (just lessons )
    Cheers, Shark

Thanks for the kind words Shark. But really in all honesty why would I take offense? I do change clubs alot, I enjoy trying different things. It's a running joke inside the forums, and it's not like anyone is personally attacking me. So why not have a little fun with it. No one is getting hurt and if I can get a few chuckles out of my response than what is the harm?

But at the risk of being warned about thread jacking, sorry Dan , I'll throw my two cents in.

I did the same as buckylasek. I didn't buy used, but I bought a new set that was really cheap. Just in case I didn't like the game when I first started out. Turned out I really enjoyed it and have been looking for the perfect clubs since, and probably will until I can no longer enjoy this game. So that would be my recommendation.

And what do you mean you can't buy a game?????

I guess that's where I've been going wrong all these years!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Thanks for the kind words Shark. But really in all honesty why would I take offense? I do change clubs alot, I enjoy trying different things. It's a running joke inside the forums, and it's not like anyone is personally attacking me. So why not have a little fun with it. No one is getting hurt and if I can get a few chuckles out of my response than what is the harm?

But at the risk of being warned about thread jacking, sorry Dan , I'll throw my two cents in.

I did the same as buckylasek. I didn't buy used, but I bought a new set that was really cheap. Just in case I didn't like the game when I first started out. Turned out I really enjoyed it and have been looking for the perfect clubs since, and probably will until I can no longer enjoy this game. So that would be my recommendation.

And what do you mean you can't buy a game?????

I guess that's where I've been going wrong all these years!!
    No I was saying the contrary. I first bought good used clubs, easy to hit, you know the ones that they produce for the old players . I didn't like the game at the beggining also, but when i first scored a par, i knew it was the game i would always play. I'm still looking for my hole in one....

bucky, what I meant was I didn't invest a lot of money when I took up the game. You said you spent only $200 when you started (even though you got name brand). I didn't get name brand but spent minimal cash in case I didn't like the sport.

Ok now i understand.

Thread Information