100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: world cup draw

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

world cup draw

It's still ongoing, but England's pool is set, and they have avoided getting a pool with two other contenders. Barring some kind of collapse, they should be through. Whichever pool gets the US is going to be a really fun one to watch

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    US is in with Dan's Czechs, Ghana and Italy. Tough group, but fun to watch for sure. Holland ends up with Serbia, Cote d'Ivoire (with Drogba) and Argentina. Ouch. Those are the two groups of death for sure. Brazil-Australia-Japan-Croatia won't be too far behind. Looking ahead to the knockout round, you have Brazil vs Italy/Czechs in the round of 16, then the winner of that one against Spain in the quarters. Another possible quarter match you could see is Germany vs Holland/Argentina.

I can't wait until June!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The top two teams in England's group will be playing the top two from group A (germany's group). Germany looks to be the clear favourite in that one, so hopefully England manages to come out on top. Hopefully both can make it through to the quarters - what a great matchup that would be.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    The top two teams in England's group will be playing the top two from group A (germany's group). Germany looks to be the clear favourite in that one, so hopefully England manages to come out on top. Hopefully both can make it through to the quarters - what a great matchup that would be.
    England and Germany can play each other in the round of 16 if one team finishes first in their group and the other finishes second. If they each top their groups, the soonest they can possibly play each other is the finals or third place game. A playoff spot would seem assured for England in that group, but they haven't beat Sweden in 40 years...you may get to see that Germany-England match pretty quickly.

And who knows who'll advance out of the groups, that was the beauty of 2002. Pedigree meant nothing in the last cup, France managed one point in their group, Portugal didn't make the knockout stages and neither did Argentina (who were probably the tournament favourites along with the French). South Korea put out Italy (dubiously for sure) and Spain! I guess Germany was the exception to the rule, making the finals with a crap team, just because they're Germany.

What happens this time? Will the favourites dominate? Can Africa finally assert itself in the deep stages? Looks tough with 4 newcomers and Tunisia, but the talent is there. I personally think Australia will surprise, especially with Hiddink. Perhaps also Cote d'Ivoire or Ghana.

My prediction is Holland vs Brazil in the final. I'm completely biased, but I think this will be a popular pick amongst the pundits, maybe second favourite to Brazil-Germany (the draw was set up for this outcome). Other contenders? Hard to count out Italy, Spain, Argentina, perhaps England but I doubt it . Two years ago, the Czechs and Portugal would be high up the list but I think their time has passed. I'd love to see a non Euro/South American team go deep, but it's hard to see this time. Although who thought Korea would do so well last time?

Man, I can't wait!!!

Thread Information