100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    IF you canceled through credit card ... If your NOT a CONFIRMED ADDRESS he's getting a chargeback and he may have no idea that you've even filed it yet. It takes a while for a chargeback to get back to paypal but let me tell you if you are not confirmed he will be held liable as paypal never sucks up the bill.

If that is the case it shows us the major problem with SELLING using paypal; what was to stop you from getting a perfectly niec set of irons and than doing the same thing and the seller being out both... A problem to say the least.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    If that is the case it shows us the major problem with SELLING using paypal; what was to stop you from getting a perfectly niec set of irons and than doing the same thing and the seller being out both... A problem to say the least.
    There is absolutely nothing you can do about it and it is a big problem. In fact, it happens more than you think. Which is exacly why I think Denny should hang onto the irons. Otherwise, if the other party ends up filing a complaint and Denny doesn't have the irons to return, he will look like the guilty party in this instance.
    Trust me, the refund will go thru PayPal and they will take the money back from the credit card of the original owner of these irons. Then he will undoubtably contact dleber. At that point it might be a good idea if the irons were still around .

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    In the meantime play the heck out of em... he can't say anythign about the condition when / if they get returned

LOL! Now THAT, I agree with...
    In fact Denny, if you want to lend them to me until he contacts you they can be my NCGT Golf-o-Max sticks for the winter.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I am not so sure that the guy is missing ANY money from his account.

Strictly speaking, you did not pay the seller with your credit card. You paid him via PayPal, using your credit card as the source of funds. If you had gotten your refund through PayPal, then they would take the money from his PayPal account and the seller would be out the money you paid him.

However, you got your refund through your credit card company. The seller probably does not have an account with your credit card company, so your credit card company has no way of getting the funds back from him. In all liklihood, your credit card company is writing off the refund paid to you under their customer protection program.

This might be why the seller isn't getting back to you. I'm sure he would be all over you if he was out both the money AND the goods. Even so, if I were you I would hold onto the clubs for a few months - and you might want to check your PayPal account frequently. There is always a chance that the seller could go through PayPal if your credit card company gets their money back from him and you still have his clubs.
    Exactly.

And yes, Reid, if it became a sticky issue, and I had his address I'd mail them back. Is it a sticky issue? No. Is he waiting and seeing? Yes. Does he have the address? No. Given all these conditions, I'd have no trouble selling the clubs. Would I sell them now? No, i'm not suggesting that. In a year, I'd sell them or give them to someone and say "I might need these back, so don't sell them."

Stop assuming things...Im saying morally, in the long run, I would have no qualms about keeping both the money and the product. And thats all I'm saying.

Sorry GP, I must have missed the part about "morally, in the long run" and "In a year, I'd sell them or give them to someone and say "I might need these back, so don't sell them." in your original post....
    In the future I'll try to remember that I should not assume that what you write is what you actually mean.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    This is from Paypal about chargebacks:
    Protection Policies

What is a chargeback?

A chargeback occurs when a buyer asks the credit card company to reverse a transaction that has already cleared. In these cases, the amount of the reversed transaction is deducted from the seller's account. All sellers who accept credit card payments run the risk of chargebacks and are liable for chargebacks.

If sellers accept credit cards, whether in person or through PayPal, they may encounter a chargeback from a buyer - just as sellers accepting personal checks might receive an occasional bad check. Chargebacks are an unfortunate but realistic cost of doing business, and most sellers factor this cost into their business risk model.

PayPal offers sellers a way to protect themselves against chargebacks when they follow the terms of our Seller Protection Policy (SPP). However, if a seller has not followed the Seller Protection Policy, that seller will be responsible for the amount of the chargeback.

For more information, go to the Understanding Chargebacks page or learn how to respond to a chargeback with a step-by-step tutorial.

Now according to my credit card company, they know this was a Payapl transaction and they are going straight to Paypal to resolve it. The money is taken from his Paypal account and Paypal and the Credit Card company duke it out. From what I have heard Paypal doesn't win to many of these battles and my address at the time of the sale was not confirmed. All I can say is that this was i real learning experience! I have done around 50 Ebay transaction and this is the first one that has gone bad, but I am glad I didn't go through Paypal. I do know others who have and the results are not the greatest and they charge you admin fees, plus they have strict time frames. Lets face it Paypal makes no money from the buyer so they are really there as seller protection. Anyway live and learn and hopefully others have as well.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Now according to my credit card company, they know this was a Payapl transaction and they are going straight to Paypal to resolve it. The money is taken from his Paypal account and Paypal and the Credit Card company duke it out. From what I have heard Paypal doesn't win to many of these battles and my address at the time of the sale was not confirmed. All I can say is that this was i real learning experience!
    Ahhh, I see. So all the more reason to hold onto the clubs then. Eventually PayPal will get paid (unless he never has money is his account ever again), and the seller will be looking for his clubs back.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

I do a lot on ebay and oddly enough the only time I have had issues is with sellers> There are a few bad ones, but the powersellers generally want to resolve issues with there buyers.

From a recent coversation with CIBC, they told me that if you give out your number you are responsible for the transaction.

I also have found that if you are patient, ebay will help too.

The problem is, if yo have someone who is out there to rip somebody off you become a victim! I have had around $350 in transactions that I never even recieved the goods that I purchased.

Buyer beware!

On another note, I would certainly say the clubs were mis-represented too!

Jim

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    Sorry GP, I must have missed the part about "morally, in the long run" and "In a year, I'd sell them or give them to someone and say "I might need these back, so don't sell them." in your original post....
    In the future I'll try to remember that I should not assume that what you write is what you actually mean.
    Sometimes its worth responding, sometimes you just gotta let it go. Good luck in life, Mr. Masson.

I agree. Let's just let it go. Ultimately we agree on the end result in any case.

Thread Information