CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar

Dominican Republic report

I was there this summer, and it's a really nice place to play. I played on 3 golf courses over there
    Teeth of the dog, incredible golf course, better that what i imagined, really one of world's golf wonders. It's quite far from most of the hotels, like 50 miles away from punta cana.
    Punta Cana golf links, really nice too, whe can easily recognize Pete dye's signature there, green surrounded by water, and bunkers.
    Cocotal golf club. Not well known, but i could play there free with my hotel pass. It's just ok, nothing exceptionnal, really easy courses , low slope. I played under par there.

Courses are fairly flat so they put a lot of water hazards and bunkers. Got to be used to Bermuda Grass too. High bounce wedges is nice too as conditions are smooth.

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar

Dominican

Anyone know how much the green fees in Dominican cost and whether you have to pay for things like a mandatory caddie? I'll be booking a vacation to somewhere in the Caribbean in the next week or so and would appreciate any helpful info. We are leaning towards Punta Cana but I'm open to other locations as well. Thanks.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Punta Cana or Sousa are the best. Peurto Plata where I stayed, I did not like. In all my trips to Cancun (5) , Ixtapa (1), manzanillo (1), puerto vallarta PVR (2), Cozumel (2), peurto plata DMR (1) Sousua (1), Montego Bay (1), etc
    I found peurto plata the worst. Many others like it, but it is dangerous to wander on your own, had to sign disclaimer renting bikes, that I was warned of extremely high crime rates.
    Very remote.
    Every hotel is spaced out, good for privacy, bad for mtg people. Travelled half hr nearest bar, it was tiny. Golf was overpriced, had to pay $10 us mandatory caddie, plus courses were in my opinion very plain for $47 US.

Sosua is unbelievably beautiful (I am certified diver, went there, its great).

Friends/golfers staying in punta cana said opposite. Yes it is a little remote, but good hotels, fair prices for courses, higher police presence, so safer. Nicer water, crystal blue, peurto plata is darker, not as nice.
    I would stay there, can't speak to courses on that side.

You are looking at roughly $50 low end to $150 (always US) for any course. Caddie fees low end $9 for 18 plus tip, or $25 high end. Usually required. But lots of fun, you gotta enjoy it.
    http://www.dominicanrepublic.com/Tou...lf_courses.htm

http://www.caribbeangolf.com/destina...n-republic.htm
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    I was in the Dominican Republic last week. I played La Cocotal once. That was enough. Very ordinary course, and not very well maintained.

But I played "La Cana" twice and it was excellent. Once of the nicest courses I ever played. Highly recommended.

(I managed to 2-putt here for par) LOL
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

I got permission from the woman to go golfing at least once while in DR. I will be staying at Gran Paradise Bavaro beach in Punta Cana which has no information on golf so I don't think it is situated close to a golf course. SOOOO, is it difficult to get around if I want to get to a golf course like a cab or hitchiking or something? Any info would be appreciated. I called the travel agency but the agent was pretty useless...

I made a last minute decision to go to LaCana instead of Lo Cocotal and was definitely the right choice. Course was amazing. A nice treat and the highlight of my vacation.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMMER
    I made a last minute decision to go to LaCana instead of Lo Cocotal and was definitely the right choice. Course was amazing. A nice treat and the highlight of my vacation.
    Off to La Cana this Friday.. I played there a few times before and always found the course to be excellent. We stay right there at the resort in the building closest to #5 par 3 on the ocean.

Definitely the course to play!
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMMER
    I have heard that course is amazing. How much were the green fees? Did you get a package deal from your resort including transportation? If not, how did you get to the course?

I am not sure if you stayed at that resort or not... has anyone stayed at another resoort and golfed at this course with a package deal?

Thread Information