100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Ted747 is on a distinguished road

Gone and forgotten

Greetings and salutations,

I've been reading the various threads over the summer as a guest and finally decided to jump in as a member.

I started golfing 5 years ago and am from Ottawa. The last three have been spent almost exclusively at the Raceview/Falconridge golfing on weekends with a buddy and his wife. Before that I golfed a lot at the Kingsway, as well as other courses in Quebec and on this side of the river with a friend who has since married an American woman and relocated to Seattle.

Anyway, on the Labour Day weekend this year, we decided to golf on the Sunday, 9 holes on the Raceview. When we got there a group of 12 girls in their late teens, early 20's were kibbitzing around and having a whale of a time. This was fine, they weren't hard on the eyes to say the least. As it happens they had been booked for the 3 tee off times before us, ours was for 9:30. 9:30 rolls around and they're still frolicking. Anyway, my buddy is all for them going ahead even though they don't have a problem with us going first. So, we're waiting while they tee off. Their balls go a few yards and we're thinking it's going to be a long wait. So buddy starts griping to us and one of the girls in the third group tells us to go ahead and the party in front will let us play through. So we tee off and play through. Get to the second hole and the first group is on the fairway looking for balls etc. We play through, but Buddy is now griping because he's having a poor game, the ball going everywhere but on the fairway. We tee off on the 3rd hole, a par 3. His ball goes in front of the the water, ours go on the green. He hits again and it lands in the water. Anyway, the wife decides to hole out and I follow. He finally gets on the green in a rage threatening that this is the last game this year. We go on to the fourth hole and I'm up on the ridge, tee off a good one and come down only to see him and the wife off on the horizon heading back to the clubhouse.

Has anything like this happened to any of you? I decided to golf alone for the rest of the season and found I enjoyed it more than golfing with them. This turned out to be the final straw in a long line of similar incidents over the 3 years. I'm not a competitive golfer, just like to relax and enjoy the game in good company.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar

fun times at Stonebridge

The guys that I golf with are generally pretty cool headed, with some exceptions, myself included. My favourite not so proud moment in golf came several weeks ago at Stonebridge. Playing #6 I believe it was (runs along Jockvale with the green in beside that pink house) had a nice tee shot. Nice and straight just out to the 150 marker in front of the water. Thinking OK a nice little 8 iron to the green and at worst we have a par. What really happened... duffed the 8 iron, the ball hit the rocks just on shore between the water and the green and fortunately bounced into the bunker. I'm thinking WOW did I ever get lucky. Walk up to the bunker only to find some nice compact wet sand. UH OH. Again I'm thinking ok a nice little SW and I'm on the green. WACK, skull it, and it ends up going across the green into the adjacent bunker. By this time I was getting pretty discouraged and I'm sure a few curse words were being uttered under my breath. Bunker #2 is in similar state as first, nice compact wet sand, although now I've left myself with a downhill lie. SWEET! So I'm thinking, ok nice little shot and can still muster a bogie, no big deal. WACK, half skull it to the opposite end of green, leaving myself with a 60 footer easy. If I wasn't frustrated before, I was now. Again, I’m sure some curse words could be heard under my breath. Trying to think positively I line up the putt and all I want to do is have solid contact, however when I exchanged my SW for the putter, I must have picked up my skirt as well, as I left the putt half way to the hole. By then I think I was cursing somewhat louder as I noticed my FC’s were starting to chuckle and who could blame them. End up 3 putting for a triple. I decided that the ball I had been using deserved to go into the water, like it should have on my second shot, so I returned it to where I felt it belonged. Tee up a new ball on 7 (par 3) and blast it way left of the whole, just on the green, leaving myself with a 50 footer with an easy 10ft of break to the right. Drop it in for birdie. My FC’s were as shocked as I was.
    Last edited by Law; 11-28-2005 at 04:38 PM.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

True

Yeah, I've had my share of devil balls. Anyway, even if you're having a bad game there's always that chance that you'll birdie the next hole as you so well point out RLAW. That's one of the things that makes golf so addictive.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Im guilty of losing it, but the last 3 years have been very nice.

Your buddy created his own hell when he let them go ahead. He should have slept in the bed he made, or enjoyed the views in front of him all day.

In any case, find buddies that are fun to play with, because I certainly enjoy the game MORE in good company.

Lightbulb

I'm working on it. Thanx GP

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Use the forum here to arrange games with new golf buddies or join the NationalCapitalGolfTour.com to meet new friends, who never loose it

Thanks for the information Dan. I'll try it.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Ted

You could always come out to Golf-O-Max with us as well. We are having a fun night of golf on the 17th. Read more about it in the Arrange a Game threads, or on our site under Silly Season.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I used to be guilty of the occasional tantrum as well until, one day at Manderly a single joined our threesome and inadvertently enlightened me. The guy was last to tee off, hits a mediocre drive, and then proceeds to curse and slam his club all the way down the first fairway until he reached his ball. This continued shot after shot, hole after hole. It quickly dawned on me what an idiot someone looks like, and is, for throwing a childish tantrum because the ball had the audacity to go somewhere other that it's intended destination.
    Most golf buddies are used to the temperament of those they usually play with, but if you're joining a group you haven't played with before, I would say it's a good idea to tone down the tantrums.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    Welcome to the forum Ted

You could always come out to Golf-O-Max with us as well. We are having a fun night of golf on the 17th. Read more about it in the Arrange a Game threads, or on our site under Silly Season.
    Appreciate the invite, but as luck would have it, I have tickets for the Sens/Leafs game that night. I'll keep tuned to the Arrange a Game threads. Thanx

Thread Information