100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 250 Foot Putt

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

250 Foot Putt

Those of us who are members at Greensmere have watched with interest, the construction of the new 18 holes, 9 of which will be opened next year for sure. Most holes have been cut out of 50 to 80 foot trees, the fairways will continue to be generous for the most part, the greens large in area, with several significantly elevated from the fairway. The 9 that will open next year will be a combination of 4 from the west 9 and 5 from the south 9, and a lot more difficult than the current back nine.

Large ponds have been created and will be in play on 9 of the 18 holes and will ensure an ample water supply for the entire 36 holes. This will prevent the unfortunate rationing of water that occurred this year and the resulting deterioration of conditions.

Of interest is #2 on the "west" nine, a hole that has a gentle left to right sloped and curving green that is over 85 yards deep. There is a small finger of the green on the right, similar to #12, that is 25 yards deep, but, your ball will have to carry a 60 yard pond that fronts this finger and the right side of the rest of the green. It will be possible to have a 250 or so foot putt that will travel uphill, downhill and curving left to right, if you land on the front with the pin on the back.

Let's hope we get good growing conditions come spring time.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Very interesting Lyle. Can you say four putt. When we played really didn't look at the new layout but going by what you say it should be entertaining and can't wait to give it a try next year.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I think my strategy will be to hit it closer than that .

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    It will be possible to have a 250 or so foot putt that will travel uphill, downhill and curving left to right, if you land on the front with the pin on the back.
    As long as there's no tractor in the middle of the green...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    ... It will be possible to have a 250 or so foot putt that will travel uphill, downhill and curving left to right, if you land on the front with the pin on the back.
    Lyle:

Unless they enact a local rule prohibiting it (I wonder whether they could enact such a rule), I could see someone (probably me) hitting a wedge from such a position. The thought of that happening would make any owner or greenskeeper cringe.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Lyle:

Unless they enact a local rule prohibiting it (I wonder whether they could enact such a rule), I could see someone (probably me) hitting a wedge from such a position. The thought of that happening would make any owner or greenskeeper cringe.
    I can't see you underclubbing by 8 clubs, but, I would suggest that you chip with a 7 iron or longer instead of a wedge as there would be less turf taken. If the wedge is hit a little heavy the ball will plunk in the water, whereas a rolling chip shot will be able to break around the edge of the green to the pin.

Besides, the green will be monitored from the club house, so if a wedge is used on the putting surface the "GREEN" berets will be sent out and you will be taken and placed in the well adjacent to the new 4th south, green. If you can extricate a ball with the wedge you used on the green, you will be allowed to leave. The well is cylindrical, 15 feet deep and 4 feet wide, so the shot should be easy for you.

Actually, if Sphere Hunter can swim, he will be able to get more golf balls from this pond, than from all other places on the course, combined.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Besides, the green will be monitored from the club house, so if a wedge is used on the putting surface the "GREEN" berets will be sent out and you will be taken and placed in the well adjacent to the new 4th south, green. If you can extricate a ball with the wedge you used on the green, you will be allowed to leave. The well is cylindrical, 15 feet deep and 4 feet wide, so the shot should be easy for you.

Harsh penalty for playing within the rules of golf.
    Trying to find that one in the book

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Actually, if Sphere Hunter can swim, he will be able to get more golf balls from this pond, than from all other places on the course, combined.
    I have my Speedo ready ad waiting! Spent many hours swimming in the ponds at Techumseh in my misguided youth. Sounds like this hole has character, something we need more of at Greensmere.
    SH

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter
    ... Sounds like this hole has character, something we need more of at Greensmere.

SH
    You've got plenty of characters at Greensmere, trust me on this. And I like every one of them.

Thread Information