CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New OB stakes

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

New OB stakes

From Sunday's intersectionals at Mont Cascades...

New ob markers were put up inside a fence line which used to define out of bounds. The fence posts were painted white to identify them as OB markers.

The fence was not repainted when the new OB stakes were added, and a ball came to rest in such a position as to be in bounds if the fence post was included in the OB line. If the fence were omitted and only the stakes used, the ball would be OB.

Can the player argue that since the fence had not been repainted that the fence should still be considered an OB marker?

As I said this one happened and the person who told me the story was unsure what the ruling ended up being.

By the way Garry were you at Mont Cascades on Sunday?

The Boys from Mont Cascades really cleaned up winning 58 / 60 points what a sweep! My buddy Steve (nine1) played for Cascades and was the only one on thier team who failed to win all 6 points!

Do you know what the record is for most points won? 58 has to be a record! No team could get all 60 could they?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    One of the complete powers that the Committee (those in charge of the competition) has is to define out of bounds. It is their responsibility to accurately define the course and out of bounds. Obviously, in this case, they failed. The best I can do is give the actual procedure for determining out of bounds.

When out of bounds is defined by reference to a fence, the out of bounds line is determined by the inside of one fence post to the inside of the next fence post (at ground level). The fencing between the posts has no bearing on the OB line.

When out of bounds is defined by stakes, the out of bounds line is determined by the inside of one stake to the inside of the next stake (at ground level).

The Committee has full power to rule on whether the ball is in or out of bounds. The player can argue and disagree, but the decision is absolute.

The situation could have been avoided with a simple statement before the round that OB on this hole will be determined by the new markers.

I had a similar situation at Kanata Golf Club. The 18th green is situated near the parking lot which is enclosed by a fence. It is not immediately clear to the players whether the fence is an out of bounds fence. BTW- I just called Kanata and after much discussion was told the parking lot is out of bounds. I remember it as being in bounds last year, so these problems are not uncommon.

I rule the ball is OB.

hehehe.. I was not there and without a more detailed decription from Dan I should not even be guessing.

Thread Information