100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Putter standard is on a distinguished road

is hitting from the right side an advantage??

Hi to all the players here who have far more experience than me. I am just learning to play golf and i am taking lessons from a pro shop in Toronto. The instructor asked me to change to hit as right handed because he said lefty are usually at a disadvantage when it comes to playing on the field?? is he saying this because all the courses are design for right handed players?? if anyone can answer my question, it will be greatly appreciated as i am really confused on why left handed players cannot compete with right handed players.

thanks

william

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    he sounds like an idiot to me!! A right-handed golfer who hits a fade is at the same level as a left-handed golfer who hits a draw. If he said that, i would suggest getting lessons from another pro!! You should be playing from the side that feels most comfortable to you, if you are comfortable playing lefty, stick with it.

Mike Weir and Phil Mickelson dont seem to be at a disadvantage!!

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    If your natural inclination is to play left, play left. Your learning curve switching will be much longer and much less enjoyable. There are plenty of club designs now for lefties thanks to popular left handed pros.

Fields DO tend to favour right handed players, but not to a degree that you'll suffer a big disadvantage, or disadvantage of any kind once you learn to hit the ball.

In short, the above is correct: he's an idiot.

yes, that is exactly what i thought even if i am just a beginner at golf. But he went on to explain about being a lefty means left arms are more powerful. and if i change to hit right handed, my left hand will be able to guide the club through the swing better??? is that part true?? thanks again for answering.

william
    Last edited by standard; 11-09-2005 at 11:44 PM.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Find someone who's actually willing to teach you, not someone who wants to try and make you into something you're not. There's no reason to not begin from your most comfortable side.

If you hit a baseball bat from the left side, or swing a hockey stick from the left side, do the same with a golf club, you'll learn much quicker.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i dont' buy that idea. I am left-handed and don't find that i "guide" my swing any better than a right-handed guy playing right-hand. The only reason i am right-handed golfer is because 12 years ago, the first set of clubs i was giving was a right set, and that is what feels comfortable to me.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by standard
    yes, that is exactly what i thought even if i am just a beginner at golf. But he went on to explain about being a lefty means left arms are more powerful. and if i change to hit right handed, my left hand will be able to guide the club through the swing better??? is that part true?? thanks again for answering.
    Even if thats true, itll take u way longer to learn, so theres no real advantage. Go with your body instincts, thats why you're left handed in the first place. Theres no real advantage to having one arm "stronger" than the other, because the swing is about rhythm, not strength.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Get a new pro. He is an idiot plain and simple.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I am shocked to even read this post. The fact that a Pro told you to switch is just unbelievable, I would expect that kind of comment from the local guy who thinks he is a pro but not from a qualified instructor. Play your natural side and you will enjoy the game more and get better faster. Get a new pro ASAP, what a moron!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Instructional opinions will vary, however, one of the essentail characteristics of a good golf swing is having the lead wrist, in your case, right wrist, FLAT at impact. Is your "weak" right hand strong enough to achieve this? Of course it is, so DON'T CHANGE.

With a stronger left hand/arm/shoulder, there is a greater tendency to come over the top at the start of the downswing, however, a pro who knows what he is doing, will teach you how to have the arms swing down ON PLANE, another essential to good ball striking. If this is done, then the extra strength that you have in your left arm, will be a bonus, not a liability.

A third essential is to have your hands ahead of the ball at impact, and having a strong pulling action by your weaker right arm may help, but, you can make the arm stronger by doing one little thing - exercise.

Fire the coach.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    From MikeWeir.com
    At the age of 13, Mike wrote a letter to Jack Nicklaus asking if he should switch from left-handed to right. Jack wrote back to not change and stick with your natural swing.

Weir holds on to Nicklaus' wise words
    16/4/03 1:41 AM

Mike Weir has never forgotten the advice. He was 13 years old when he wrote that letter to Jack Nicklaus. Weir wanted to know whether he should play golf left-handed, which is natural for him, or try to learn to play from the opposite side of the ball.

"I just told him what I would tell any youngster," Nicklaus recalled Wednesday. "If you're a natural on one side or the other, I don't recommending changing. It was just a short letter with my advice, but I don't think I've ever sent one to a future Masters champion before."

Weir mentioned the letter on Sunday night as he sat at the podium in the media center at Augusta National. He was wearing the winner's Green Jacket, just as Nicklaus had done six times previously.

Nicklaus said he was flattered and proud that Weir still had the long-forgotten letter, the type he sends out by the dozens. He added another to the Masters champion's collection after watching Weir's victory on TV.

"Of course I wouldn't remember the letter, but I was flattered he would keep that and I just sent him a note yesterday congratulating him," said Nicklaus, who missed the cut at Augusta National. "Maybe he'll frame that as well."

Nicklaus was in central Texas Wednesday for the opening of Cimarron Hills, which is his 216th and latest creation. He said watching the Canadian left-hander prosper at Augusta National was the highlight of his weekend.

"Let me tell you, I don't watch a lot of golf tournaments on television, I just don't," Nicklaus said. "But I didn't miss a shot of the last 36 holes with Mike playing. What he did was just amazing, because that golf course was obviously not his type of course. They all said it would set up for a big hitter who worked the ball and he was one of the shorter hitters off the tee.

http://www.mikeweir.sympatico.msn.ca...e=&iCategoryID=
    'Nuff said.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Just to answer the question in the thread title, to me it is an advantage on most courses to be right handed. Most doglegs are left to right & most right side swingers prefer a fade. If you could just choose a side, I'd choose right. But I think as we've seen in the posts above that its not just a matter of choosing a side to hit from.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Augusta is not set up for a right handed fader. Ask Bruce Lietzke. Ideal for a lefthanded fader. Anyway I play hockey left handed but baseball right handed. But given the choice I will go with my strong side anyday. One could learn to play equally well from both sides but one side will always be a little weaker than the other. Best eaxmple is a switch hitter in baseball. Moreover if you happen to be a natural 'hooker' most courses will fit your swing.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Anyway I play hockey left handed but baseball right handed. But given the choice I will go with my strong side anyday. One could learn to play equally well from both sides but one side will always be a little weaker than the other.
    So what you are saying is that the power of your left handed hockey shot comes from your left arm, but your wish it was your right because it is stronger. With your baseball swing you are better right handed because your right arm is stronger. Therefore, why do some people feel that power in a golf stroke comes from the body, and not the dominant/stronger arm?

thank you very much for the insight. I will definitely think about changing the coach but my girlfriend actually believe him and went out and get some right handed clubs for herself( she and i are both left-handed) so i will see how she is hitting the ball and let u guys know. As for me, i am sticking with my left side and start from there.
    thank you again for all your comments!!!!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Hi to all the players here who have far more experience than me. I am just learning to play golf and i am taking lessons from a pro shop in Toronto. The instructor asked me to change to hit as right handed because he said lefty are usually at a disadvantage when it comes to playing on the field?? is he saying this because all the courses are design for right handed players?? if anyone can answer my question, it will be greatly appreciated as i am really confused on why left handed players cannot compete with right handed players.

thanks

william
    What kind of credentials does this guy have? Probably none.
    Back when my great great grand daddy was going to school they used to make kids write only with their right hand - same ass*backward thinking. As for right-handed courses...LOL!!!
    This guy needs his own infomercial for sure.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    What kind of credentials does this guy have? Probably none.
    Back when my great great grand daddy was going to school they used to make kids write only with their right hand - same ass*backward thinking. As for right-handed courses...LOL!!!
    This guy needs his own infomercial for sure.
    It wasn't that long ago...my sister's friend who is a lefty and the nuns made her write right handed. That screwed her up as her hand writing is awful. She is only 45 years old now. Crazy thinking back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    It wasn't that long ago...my sister's friend who is a lefty and the nuns made her write right handed. That screwed her up as her hand writing is awful. She is only 45 years old now. Crazy thinking back then.
    There was a reason for it. Cleanliness. People use to write with fountain pens and since writing is from left to right these people would drag their hands and clothing against the ink. Lefthanders still have that problem nowadays but to a lesser extent.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    So what you are saying is that the power of your left handed hockey shot comes from your left arm, but your wish it was your right because it is stronger. With your baseball swing you are better right handed because your right arm is stronger. Therefore, why do some people feel that power in a golf stroke comes from the body, and not the dominant/stronger arm?

Lol
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There was a reason for it. Cleanliness. People use to write with fountain pens and since writing is from left to right these people would drag their hands and clothing against the ink. Lefthanders still have that problem nowadays but to a lesser extent.
    Well that, and being left-handed was a sign of the DEVIL's work.

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

Left is right

When I started playing, I went right handed, partly because of the availability of clubs. My father and older brother are both right handed. After about 5 years, I realised the error of my ways and moved to left handed. This is my natural approach. Within a month, I was playing better than ever. I recommend that you stick with the left handed approach.

It may be that right handedness is a benefit for certain holes, but I think this also works the other way. Some designers know that most people will slice and therefore place the corner so it will favour a southpaw.

I have tried a variety of pastimes both left and right handed and have come to the conclusion that left handedness is it for me. However, looking at the left vs. right handed clubs for sale section, I feel rueful sometimes!
    Cheers,
    Tim

i watch my girlfriend practice today and she is ok hitting from the right handed position. But me, i am going to stick by my left hand and go on from there, thanks again for all you guy's input.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    In some instances the body has a lot to do with it. Being the golf encyclopedia that you are I am sure you have read the book 'search for the perfect swing'. They show pictures of 2 one-armed golfers and these 2 golfers happen to hit drives over 280 yards(quite a feat) " Now I have no idea whether these 2 are left or right handed but both of them hit from the right.So in their case power has to come from the body wouldn't you think?
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 11-11-2005 at 06:16 AM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

In some instances the body has a lot to do with it. Being the golf encyclopedia that you are I am sure you have read the book 'search for the perfect swing'. They show pictures of 2 one-armed golfers and these 2 golfers happen to hit drives over 280 yards(quite a feat) " Now I have no idea whether these 2 are left or right handed but both of them hit from the right.So in their case power has to come from the body wouldn't you think?
    Why? Whatever distance I may be able to achieve by hitting the ball with one arm, comes mostly from the one arm. My body has to be positioned and balanced to achieve this and so must move forward, however, most of the speed comes from that one arm. What is your reasoning as to why the body is the power producer? If this is true, if I had a bigger body would I hit the ball farther?

BTW: The above feats are awesome. Even with two arms I can't hit the ball 280.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    There was a reason for it. Cleanliness. People use to write with fountain pens and since writing is from left to right these people would drag their hands and clothing against the ink.
    sounds logical but...

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Well that, and being left-handed was a sign of the DEVIL's work.
    i prefer this explanation. Evil lefties!!

Lob Wedge john doe is on a distinguished road
    you are left handed and want to play left handed golf? I don't think what hand you write with has anything to do with which way you should golf or any sport for that matter.

I am left handed and it is clearly my dominant hand/arm. I use my left for all the day to day stuff that anyone would use their dominant arm for.

Things I do right handed include:
    golf, hockey, baseball. I throw with my right arm.

I can play most types of racquet sports equally well (or poorly) with either hand, but which hand I am using impacts the footwork and the relative strengths/weaknesses of my game. More often than not, I switch hands while playing to reach a ball.

So the pro suggests you switch to playing right handed because your dominant arm can guide your swing? Well, I'm no pro but I did spend 6 years working at various golf courses around town and used to play to a single digit handicap and IMHO that is crap. He is suggesting you play the way that I do, which is simply dominant hand on top. If there was any real virtue in that, the majority of the golfing world would play left handed. More people have a dominant right arm, if that arm were to be in top position, left handed golfers would rule. They don't. So much for that theory.

Frankly, I think that the power in a golf swing comes in the rhytm and the last 2-3 feet before impact. That last 2-3 feet club head speed comes from the rolling of your bottom wrist which if you switch, is your weak arm.

Which foot do you kick with? If you kick with your right foot, play golf that way.

As for your girlfriend, playing left handed might be right for her.

Which hand you write with is not, in any way, a determining factor here.

As far as I can see, the only advantage of being a right handed golfer is on site club selection. But, you clearly have access to the internet and can order what you want on line so I don't see that as a disadvantage either.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe

Which foot do you kick with? If you kick with your right foot, play golf that way.
    Not sure why you claim this to be the case, but it doesn't apply for me. I think if you get too hung up trying to say "if you play this sport left, you play this other sport right." There is no golden rule. I write right, play hockey left, golf right, raquet sports right. I kick a ball with my left foot, unless i'm drop kicking it, in which case I'm a righty. I throw a ball with my right, unless its rugby, in which case I'm more comfortable throwing with my left. Now, I'm not claiming that I'm not an oddity (because I am), but this just goes to prove that trying to come up with one rule for choosing what hand to play just doesn't work...unless that rule is..................

DO WHAT'S COMFORTABLE...there you have it...the only piece of golf insight I think I will ever feel qualified to give

"Richard"
    Left handed clubs are cheaper on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Left handed clubs are cheaper on ebay
    But they won't give you any store credit.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    But you have to lurk forever waiting for what you want!

Thread Information