100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Par Samick is on a distinguished road

Golf Balls that people play

Wondering what balls people play and their hcp....

I was a 4.2hcp last year but I havent kept track this year due to work, new house...and not much time to play. I will be getting a membership next year..

I tried the Srixon Z-UR-S and loved it, nice med-high flight, goes long off the driver and gives me the skip-skip-stop wedge from 40 yards. Feel is like a weighted marshmellow off the irons!

Nike One Gold was nice, but not great. Firmer feel, lower flight (which gave me less distance on driver), and the spin was not bad.

Bridgestone B330S was a bi disappointing.....firmer than Nike One Gold, about the same ball flight and distance with driver, just not worth the $ to ante up.

I had a peculiar thing happen with the B330S that always happens with a ProV1 too.....I cant keep these things in the fairway! Everytime I tee up a ProV something bad happens! In the woods, in the water...it goes everywhere but the fairway for me! I dont know what it is but I cant use them, same thing happened with the B330S

Anybody have any thoughts on a soft high flying ball (3 piece urethane)?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If they were still available, I'd suggest the Maxfli Revolution Tours. I haven't tried them, but the Black Max is supposed to be pretty much the same performance.

If you're not married to Urethane, check out the Strata Tour Premier. Probably the best performance to price ratio around.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I love the Pro V1x, huge distance and great feel around the green. The problem with balls is that everyone is looking for something different and what feels good for one feels awful for another. The good thing is we have lots of different balls to choose from.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am a 4 handicap and love Callaway HX Tour and HX Tour 56.. also a Prov1 guy. Thats pretty much it for me.. I have played the B330 for a bit not bad but didn't like it around the greens as much.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Whatever is on sale! I'm now a 13 capper and can not tell difference with balls I use.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Whatever is on sale! I'm now a 13 capper and can not tell difference with balls I use.
    What's on sale is not a bad idea as a general rule.

It is however, VERY important to try and play one type of ball as much as possible. By doing this you will be able to judge the spin/roll/release of the ball and play appropriately.

Switching back and forth between a spin ball and a distance ball will just screw you up.

For example, after going through a ball test, I decided on the Tour Premier / Revolution Tour. I picked up 12 dozen of the Revo's which I am slowly (or sometimes quickly ) working my way through.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the handicap question: I'm an 8.1.
    Last edited by jvincent; 11-08-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Ball fits your swing

Don Irving at Artisan suggests that one uses a ball which is more suited to their swing speed etc... Don sugested a lower compression ball with lower spin for me and it seems to have helped. I tried ProVs but I really do not have the swing speed to compress that ball well enough to make her much further than the balls I use.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    I dont have much problem compressing a golf ball.....my swing speed with my 983 is between 104-110.

Something I noticed on the box of the Srixon Z-UR-S is that they list the recommended swing speed for their ball usage. Z-UR-S is rated for players having 80mph swing speed or greater, whereas the Srixon UR-X I had been previously using had a 90mph swing speed rating or greater. Pretty interesting, and too bad other manufacturers dont have something similar.

One ball I tried a while ago and liked pretty good was the Callaway HX Blue....they go for a pretty good price now and spin as good or better than anything, nice and soft.....hmmmmm, wonder why I stopped using them? OH, the cover...it would scuff like you threw it in a mulcher! They do have a new tougher cover though...might give them a shot, and about the price of the NXT Tours now I think. Not too bad considering they used to be Callaways Top Ball.

Anybody like the HX Tour, or the new 56?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Love the HX tour and the 56.. thats what I plaed all year..

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ap_logan
    Wondering what balls people play and their hcp....
    If greens are firm - Bridgestone B330S as it has just the right amount of stopping power and is durable.

Normal greens - ProV1X. Good distance, more boring into the wind, one hop & stop action on greens, very durable. Good into the wind. Longer than the ProV1 at any swing speed.

November golf - Topfite "Super Long," 'cause I don't want to lose any of the above in the leaves, goes farther off the irons than any of the above, at this time of the year I don't care about the control around the greens or the score, as I am just happy to be able to play.

Any shot hit on the center of the club face feels good, regardless of the sound it makes. +0.8

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I went through 2 doz prov1x this season, and I think I'm going to switch to nxt tours for next year. I haven't noticed a distance, spin or feel difference between these balls, and the nxt seems not to get totally chewed by my irons on a well-struck shot. my hcp is 12, was 10 and will be single digit next year.

8 Iron sdcfan18 is on a distinguished road sdcfan18's Avatar
    i like the prov1 myself...can't get the X to spin very well...if I'm on a budget , i will usually get Wilson Px3's. a great ball at a fraction of the price of prov1's...i should note that the do scuff pretty easy, my spin milled wedges tear the thing to bits, seems to be fine with other wedges though...try some, you'll like 'um

...I'm an 8 handicap

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Red face

I buy used titleist nxt tours. I stick to one type so I know how it will react. I have lowered my handicap by 5 this season (now 11.8).

I punch in every round even though lately I am playing in the cold, windy, slop.

Found a titleist pro v1 and used last couple rounds with it. I sense more of a spin in it that isn't quite so good for my game, now that I think about it.

Drives curve a little more than usual (sometimes where I want, sometimes not).

The nxt are cheaper, last longer (one ball used for 6 rounds and still not scuffed up) and a little less sidespin. Feels a little firm for putting, however I usually make it to the hole, whereas the pro v is so soft I have to use more effort.

I save money this way, and get good performance for my level of play.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    I punch in every round even though lately I am playing in the cold, windy, slop.
    Don't forget that the official posting season for Ontario ended on Oct 31 so scores in Ontario (and probably Quebec as well) aren't valid for handicapping purposes.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Hey I didn't know that? Thanks. This is only the first full season I have tracked my handicap/scores. Thanks, for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Don't forget that the official posting season for Ontario ended on Oct 31 so scores in Ontario (and probably Quebec as well) aren't valid for handicapping purposes.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    HX Tour56 for me. Spins enough to hold and stop on greens but not as much as the ProV1 on approaches that will cause draws/hooks or fades/slices. But I wish Callaway would make a more durable cover. After a few holes the ball looks like it has been played for days.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

bg_racing

whatever

I usually try whats on sale. so usually wilson smart cores or maxfli a10's, if the course has a ton of water usaully a cheap ball to try to save some money.

5 Iron sandee11 is on a distinguished road
    Maxfli Revolution Tour.

they were on sale and they are good.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Top Flite XL3000.

As a newbie I knew I was going to go through many, many balls as I learned so my Dad and I went Dutch on 12 dozen from an ebay store. Pretty decent ball and the price was right. Although I am finding it a little hard for my liking.

About midway through next summer I plan to upgrade to the next level and find something a little softer - I've enjoyed playing with some of the balata balls I've found during my too-often walks in the woods. I had a nice Callaway (Blue?) that I enjoyed for about 17 holes last summer - but he too, alas, ended up in the drink eventually.

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    I have the Pro V1X, a bit harder than normal PV1, but i can go much further with it. I never found a ball that drops and stop like the Pro V1. I think Titleist did a really good business with it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckylasek
    I have the Pro V1X, a bit harder than normal PV1, but i can go much further with it. I never found a ball that drops and stop like the Pro V1. I think Titleist did a really good business with it.
    Very tempted to give the Titleist a try next season as the new ball in the bag (insert your own dirty joke there ).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by mcnorth
    Very tempted to give the Titleist a try next season as the new ball in the bag (insert your own dirty joke there ).
    Lol , just undestood. Well i think they are quite easy to find on the golf course, sometimes before the golf course closes i go and look for some balls, and 1/2 are Pro V1's. When they are in a very good shape i keep them. And if not i use them as shag ball.

I want something that feels like butter and doesn't have as much spin to help me hit more fairways. Length is not a huge concern for me as I'm really concentrating on being a playable length but in the fairway.
    Last season as I worked out many beginner kinks (my lousy grip especially) my slice was bad and you could just see the ball spinning left (I'm a lefty, obviously). With a cheapo 370cc Hippo driver I was hitting the occasional 270 to 300 yarder but just as often I went 150 yards forward and another 150 yards left. At other times, some shots appeared promising but ended up rolling forever and into the woods - rarely did more roll help me. Of course poor club selection and faulty swing mechanics are to blame more than some $1 ball - but as equipment freaks I'm sure you know what I mean.

It's easy to fix a slice. I think a good ball, smooth and without too much spin will be a Precept Lady, Lady but it is really nice though.

As long as it isn't pink I'd give a go.

Yeah, most of my slice problems were corrected with a simple grip adjustment - I had the club way too much up in my palms. The offset clubs made a noticeable difference as well. This season I'll continue to work on smoothing out my transition move and some other swing errors (plane - I'm too flat right now). My grip issues seem to be well in hand, if you'll pardon my bad pun.

I have bought a medicus 2 years ago and i still use it, it's the best training aid available on the market for me. If you buy one, and use it everyday, you'll see your golf game improve consistently. But it doesn't repllace some basics, like keeping eyes on the ball etc..

Thread Information