+ Reply to Thread
    Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar

Top Myrtle Beach courses

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning a trip to Myrtle Beach with some friends for next year and we're starting to look at the huge list of golf courses down there. There's so many courses that it's difficult to choose!

So what I'm looking for is your opinion of the following courses in Myrtle Beach. I would like to have replies mostly by people who played those courses (if possible!), not just by reading on them or hearing from other people.

We're looking for nice courses in terms of layout, landscape, challenge, good deal, you know: the whole deal!

Also, if you know of some websites and/or newsgroups that posts this type of info (not looking for golf vacation or packages websites, I know them all!!!), let me know

1. Worlds Tour
    2. The Dunes
    3. Legends - Heathland
    4. Man O War
    5. Long Bay Club
    6. Myrtle Beah National - King's North
    7. Wild Wing courses (all four of them)
    8. True Blue
    9. Tidewater
    10. Caledonia

Feel free also to tell us which courses you enjoyed playing, why you enjoyed them and what was good and bad about them.

Thanks

LongBallHitter

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Re: Top Myrtle Beach courses

Originally posted by LongBallHitter

Also, if you know of some websites and/or newsgroups that posts this type of info (not looking for golf vacation or packages websites, I know them all!!!), let me know
    Thanks

LongBallHitter
    MyrtleBeach.com is a good site. I am sure you have seen it, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

My trip

Longballhitter,

We had 8 guys go down last Nov. and played 8 rounds in 6 days.

From your list we played (with my ranking out of 5):

Wild Wing Falcon (5/5) Great test, great shape, nice layout.
    Wild Wing Woodstork (3/5) Nice track but no comparison to Falcon
    Long Bay (4/5) Challenging with some spectacluar holes.
    Legends - Heathland (3/5) The least impressive of the bunch but still a good track.

Also played:

Rivers Edge (5/5) A must play. Best track we played all week.
    Lions Paw (3/5)
    The Pearl east & west (3/5)

If your looking for good accomodations - we stayed at the Caribbean condos. They are nice, roomy, affordable and centrally located.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

I haven't played any of those

mostly because they're all pretty expensive $100+. I can suggest a place to book your package. We've gone with these guys for the past four years and the service and prices have been great. He'll also tell you which courses are worth the $ and which are in the best shape.

http://www.myrtlebeachgolf.com/depar...n-packages.htm

Ask for Marty Ekster and tell him the Paterson group from Ottawa recommended him.

Jeff

PS I've heard great things about Tidewater...

Pitching Wedge GrantTotten is on a distinguished road

Ballpark cost?

4lag:

What was the approximate per-person cost for your outing? I've never done the Myrtle Beach thing and was thinking it would be fun sometime.

Cheers,
    Grant

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I don't remember the exact cost but the base package which included 6 nights, 6 rounds & daily breakfast. Was about $240US per guy in mid-Nov.

We upgraded to better courses and with mandatory carts this cost us about another $100US per golfer. But I think if you are going to drive all that way it is worth paying a premium to get on the better tracks. Also we did some replays which were for cart fee only.

We stayed in very nice fully equioed 2 bedroom condos.

www.caribbeanresort.com

We bought groceries and made our our dinners and made sandwiches and packed our own beer for the golf course each day which saved us a ton of money.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

for golf and accomodations

we paid $610 CAD for what I would call middle of the road courses(decent, but not top end) and condos right on the beach. We looked after our own travel (car or plane). This included 5 nights accomodation and 5 rounds of golf for 12 guys.

These are the courses:

Eagle Nest
    Pearl West
    Lions Paw
    Panthers Run
    Pearl East

Jeff

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    longball - i highly recommend Heritage in Myrtle Beach, also the back nine at the Dunes is probably the best nine holes i've ever played.
    We played 10 different courses when we were there & those two stuck out as the best of the 10 we played.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    hi..we go down fairly often...so here are some
    of my favorites...heritage, dunes, tidewater
    and the witch are three that come to mind right away..oh yeah oyster bay...again some of these courses are extra cost and we didnt play them all in one trip...also try condo world for place to stay as they have some good deals..

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Talking Barefoot Resort

One resort, four courses. Dye, Fazio, Norman & Love III. Incredible golf. Its just across the Intercoastal waterway from Myrtle beach. They actually built a swing bridge that crosses over from Greg Norman's restaurant (best Calamari I've ever had). Definitely check it out.

chucky
    Wild Wing (4 courses named after birds) is a must. Heathland Moorland And Parkland are all great - Play Parkland for sure. the Heritage is my personal favourite of the Legends Group. Heather Glen is the nicest 27 holes there and the Prestwick is my favourite in the whole strip. You should be certain where these courses are in relation to your hotel - can be some long drive times involved.

Make sure that you go To J. Edwards Steakhouse.......prime rib is out tof this world.

Putter davep is on a distinguished road

Myrtle Courses

I was down last year and played

Pawleys Plantation
    Deer Track
    Seagull
    National
    Wildwing Avocet
    Wildwing Falcon

I thought Pawleys was very nice with lots of water and a nice layout. The two courses at Wildwing were fab with a beautifully sculptured course with lots of bunkers and water.

I'll be there in February.

Have fun.

Sand Wedge Moose is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

Just came back from Myrtle Beach. Didn't play any of those courses this time, but I have played some of them in the past. Highly recommend Long Bay, Kings North, Tidewater and Caledonia. Didn't play Heathland, but we played Moorland at the Legends and it was great. Tough course, lots of sand. As for others that are nice all around, I would recommend Marsh Harbour, Pine Lakes, Arrowhead and The Witch is beautiful. Depending on the package you get, these courses may have surcharges. A nice course we played on this trip was BrickLanding. No surcharge and it had some beautiful sights. Treated us really nice too. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like some more information.

ronmathews11@hotmail.com

Thread Information