100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

Question graphite iron shafts longer than steel

Could someone tell me why graphite shafts in irons are usually 0.5 inches longer than the steel shafts. Shouldn't they be the same length?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I had the same question awhile ago, here's what was discussed.

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=8531

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Thanks!

From reading your thread, it has to do with swing weight so isn't there another way to adjust swing weight on graphite shaft with the same length as steel. Probably with weights or lead powder or something...I'm no club maker.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    From reading your thread, it has to do with swing weight so isn't there another way to adjust swing weight on graphite shaft with the same length as steel. Probably with weights or lead powder or something...I'm no club maker.
    Yes, you can add weight to the head and/or shaft tips to get the same effect. Golfsmith used to sell a set of "graphite weighted" heads that were heavier than normal to allow graphite shafted clubs to have the same swingweight as steel when built to the same length.

However, when you're building thousands of sets like the OEMs are, it doesn't make sense to inventory two different weight heads so they just make one set, and build the graphites longer.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    Could someone tell me why graphite shafts in irons are usually 0.5 inches longer than the steel shafts. Shouldn't they be the same length?
    If you were to buy club heads made by Tom Wishon, you will find that he has drilled a weight port at the bottom of the hosel that can accomodate 10+ grams of weight, without having any of it up the very small inside diameter of the tip.

This allows for proper swingweight OR MOI(Moment of Inertia) matching of the clubs without increasing the length of the club, which in turn, would necessitate altering the lie angle, too.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    If you were to buy club heads made by Tom Wishon, you will find that he has drilled a weight port at the bottom of the hosel that can accomodate 10+ grams of weight, without having any of it up the very small inside diameter of the tip.
    Hi BC MIST

This hosel port design I hate. Only on steel shafts, when I turn the club upside down with the head up to wipe off the excess epoxy, the hosel weight ports falls out. I'm a big fan of the lead weights that plug into the bottom of the shaft.
    Kind regards, Harry

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Just put the hosel weights in and let them dry before you assemble the shaft.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ
    Hi BC MIST

This hosel port design I hate. Only on steel shafts, when I turn the club upside down with the head up to wipe off the excess epoxy, the hosel weight ports falls out. I'm a big fan of the lead weights that plug into the bottom of the shaft.
    I never turn the club upside down to wipe off excess epoxy. Where did you pick that up Harry? I've used the Golfsmith's weight ports before and never had any problems .
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    without increasing the length of the club, which in turn, would necessitate altering the lie angle, too.
    So does that also mean that if you grip down on the club for let's say a low shot under the trees which require good distance your club lie is altered?
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'm a big fan of the lead weights that plug into the bottom of the shaft.
    The weights that go up the shaft are fine and easier to use overall, however, when I MOI matched my clubs(graphite shafted) there was not a plug heavy enough to achieve the desired head weight.

This hosel port design I hate. Only on steel shafts, when I turn the club upside down with the head up to wipe off the excess epoxy, the hosel weight ports falls out.
    This can happen, of course. Or, you could use "stickier" epoxy. Or even epoxying the weights in the weight port with 5 minute epoxy before installing the shafts. Or, just install the weight plugs in the head after the epoxy has cured.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    So does that also mean that if you grip down on the club for let's say a low shot under the trees which require good distance your club lie is altered?
    Yes. In a normal set of irons, what happens to the lie angle as you go from the 3 iron to the gap wedge? The lie angle of each succeeding club becomes more upright as the club becomes shorter, so when you choke way down on the club, it’s length is shorter, so the effective lie angle has become flatter, ie., more toe down, increasing the chance of the ball going right.

If this does not make sense just take a club and set up on a flat surface to an imaginary ball. For those of you who still have a traditional swing, the toe of the club will be slightly off the ground. Now, choke way down on the club to the point where the butt may be contacting your belly, and observe what has happen to the lie of the head when it rests on the flat surface. The heel is now off the ground so the lie angle has effectively become very flat.

If you encounter an uphill/sidehill lie when you play, AND you choke down on the club, the choking down somewhat reduces the amount of uprightness that the upright part of the lie would give you. But if you had a downhill/sidehill lie, AND choked down on the club (theoretically) the choking down increases the amount flatness that this downhill lie would normally give. Too bad you couldn’t choke up on a club for this kind of lie.

[QUOTE=BC MIST]Yes. In a normal set of irons, what happens to the lie angle as you go from the 3 iron to the gap wedge? The lie angle of each succeeding club becomes more upright as the club becomes shorter, so when you choke way down on the club, it’s length is shorter, so the effective lie angle has become flatter, ie., more toe down, increasing the chance of the ball going right.

Makes sense. I had a smilar shot yesterday. Choked a 3 iron all the way down the grip. Ball ended up pin high but to the right of the green.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I never turn the club upside down to wipe off excess epoxy. Where did you pick that up Harry? I've used the Golfsmith's weight ports before and never had any problems .
    Hi Andre

Since the first club I made 10 years ago. I just find it more comfortable that way.
    Kind regards, Harry

[quote=BC MIST.[/quote]

Hi BC MIST

[[Or even epoxying the weights in the weight port with 5 minute epoxy before installing the shafts.]]

Yes I have done that BUT would rather just use plug weight in the shaft tip.
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information