100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar

Question Boredom at Bighorn

Can anybody explain to me why Sergio got relief from the sprinkler on the 15th hole?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It looked tome like it was very close, just in front of his ball. Wouldn't that be a pretty normal ruling when it's interfering with the swing?

I gotta agree with you. It was very dull, and I was looking forward to the play under the lights, which was cut short due to the format, just before it got dramatic. Oh well.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Lightbulb

The Rules Nut asking US for a rule interpretation - ya gotta love it!

I would assume that the PGA/club has a local rule similar to this:

RCGA Rule Book, Appendix 1, Part B: Specimen Local Rules, Section 5 - "All fixed sprinkler heads are immovable obstructions and relief from interference by them may be obtained under Rule 24-2..."

So, after entering the Rules Contest 50 times and winning nothing - I finally answer one right and I win (wait a minute, let me check) - nothing!

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    I would have invoked rule 6" - the 6 inch tickle.

Interference by an immovable obstruction occurs when a ball lies in or on the obstruction, or so close to the obstruction that the obstruction interferes with the player's stance or the area of his intended swing.

So where was the interference:

1. his lie ?
    2. area of swing ?
    3. his stance ?

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    I have seen Sergio take advantage of the rules on more than one occasion. I realize knowing the rules is part of golf, particularly when they work to your advantage. But - last year Sergio got relief from a bush he hit his ball into becasue the stands were in his line of sight. This means Sergio is able to hit a golf ball through a solid object. The rules official brought this to Sergio's attention & Sergio told him he had hit balls through bushes before .The official gave him a free drop.
    The problem is officials are afraid to rule against a golfer of the status of Tiger or Sergio.
    Do you think someone like Len Mattice or another lesser known golfer would get the same treatment? -i doubt it.

A player may not obtain relief under Rule 24-2b if (a) it is clearly unreasonable for him to play a stroke because of interference by anything other than an immovable obstruction or (b) interference by an immovable obstruction would occur only through use of an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing or direction of play.

Before any decision is made on the "line of sight" relief, a determination should have been made by the official as to whether it was REASONABLE for Sergio play out of the bushes. The two are separate.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    The incident I am referring to happened last year, I'm not sure which tournament it was.
    The official actually questioned Sergio - "you can hit a ball through a bush?" to which Sergio replied "I've done it before"
    I have to believe, deep down, the official knew he was right but ended up giving Sergio line of sight relief anyway, which allowed him to drop away from the bush without penalty.
    I think the official was intimidated.

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road
    I remember seeing the incident also, and I believe it was during the playoff when Mike Weir won the 2001 THE TOUR Championship. Garcia was way right, and behind a bush, trees. and a scoreboard. He was given relief that I thought was ridiculous. In my opinion there was no way he could get through that bush and trees to even make it about 150 yards to the scoreboard. But then again, I was in my living room watching it, not there at the course
    Last edited by jimrobin; 07-30-2002 at 08:56 PM.

Thread Information