100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    allanhouston90

Tip for the day.

If you struggle with your accuracy and where your hitting the ball on the clubface try taking a bit slower backswing then while keeping your left arm straight, when you get ot the top of your backswing (which should be a lot more on plane than before) Fire your body like you would on a normal shot.

Hope that helps guys.

-Joel

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Joel. Keeping my left arm straight only allows me to hit 3/4 swings. I am not flexible.Whenever I try to keep my left arm straight I try to make up for it on the downswing and believe that does not work for me. I'd rather have a shorter driver which will keep me from overswinging and increase my chances of hitting the ss.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Have you put yourself on camera? Most of the time a 3/4 swing is really full and a full swing is actually past parallel. Just try the above on camera and see how far back it the club really goes not how far it feels.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by allanhouston90
    [FONT=Arial]If you struggle with your accuracy and where your hitting the ball on the clubface try taking a bit slower backswing then while keeping your left arm straight, when you get ot the top of your backswing (which should be a lot more on plane than before) Fire your body like you would on a normal shot.
    A slower, smoother, backswing increases the probability that the arms and the clubshaft will be in a better position at the top, so we finally agree on something. However, to "fire the body" as you suggest, IMO, is as much the cause of inaccuracy and off center contact, than a backswing that is too fast. A good golf swing must be in SEQUENCE and it must be in BALANCE, so if either the body OR the arms fire too fast for the other, poor shots result because the timing is off.

While we all know that the lower body moves targetward first, just before the arms finish their backward motion, many golfers in some way either loosen and regrip their hold on the club as the arms start down, or, those who are less flexible as the Chief above points out, cup their left or lead wrist, which gives them a false feeling of power or backswing completion. With this now open club face, most golfers would slice the ball. Golfers would benefit from a slower start to the downswing(Mark O'Meara type swing) followed by an acceleration through the ball, a ramp downswing, versus a double peak downswing, like Sergio.

Two questions, the answers to which may SEEM obvious, but are very important to understand if accuracy is going to be increased:
    (1) What is the most important ON PLANE position?
    (2) What is a FULL backswing?

Many instructors de-emphasize the importance of having the left arm straight at the top of the backswing, but how many Touring pros DO NOT have a straight left arm? Very few. Of course, LPG'ers would be laughing at the thought of a straight left arm at the top.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I personally don't believe in taking it back slow or fast. Take a look at Nick Price. A real piston but that works for him. Some people have fast tempos and some others moderate and some slow. Same deal with the downswing.

allanhouston90
    Just a tip guys, and BC I was just trying to say that you can swing how you always do with your driver on the downswing. Keeping it more controlled in your backswing, like you said allows you to start your downswing on plane.

Like I said just a tip that I found works for some people.

Thread Information