CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    amsterdam

Exclamation Forgiving cavity backs that are workable

Thinking about buying some new irons. I play from an 8 hcp but I’m not looking for blades. Tried a couple, but feel that I need the extra forgiveness of a cavity back to compensate off centre hits. However I would like my irons to have some workability, and I prefer irons with a smaller sole and reduced offset.

Haven’t got the chance to demo everything just yet, but so far I like the Callaway x-18 pro (tour and fusion are a bit too pricy), the Mizuno mx-23 and the Ping i5. Would like to try the TaylorMade LT and the Titleist 804 os as well.

Any thoughts on these irons?

I will get fitted for them!

Btw: have tried Mizuno mp30, mp32, mp33 and mp37, Ping i3+ blade and s59, Ben Hogan Apex FTX, Titleist 690.cb, 690.mb and 990 DCI, Cleveland cg1 and Nike pro combo, pro combo tour and the nike blades as well. Those are not for me.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I don't think you will like the the Titleist 804's, they have an offset look and are geared towards the higher handicappers. You may like the Titleist 704's or even a set DCI 762's. Both have great feel, traditional looks and are forgiving enough on mis-hits but do not take over the shot making abilities. If you have the money, the new ones are the 735's which are a combo set, haven't tried them but look pretty nice.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I'm a 7 or 8 cap and i play the TaylorMade RAC TP 2's and i'm in love with them. I know you'd love em.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I play the TM 300 Forged irons and love them. These are very easy to work, yet give you some room to miss them without killing the distance and accuracy. You can also scoop these up for about $300 in near new condition!

Par Samick is on a distinguished road

Cavity Back Irons

I bought a set of Cleveland TA3's last year brand new off Ebay for $350 Canadian, had them custom fit with Rifle Flighted 5.5 (tipped to 5.7) and I wont look back! I was an 8Hcp when I bought them in early spring and went to a 4.2. They are very sweet feeling especially if hit on the centre, yet, miss arent terrible results either (but let your hands know a bit). They are chromed, forged and have a great look. Cavity back, touch of offset, not much. Whats not to love? I'll be wearing the grooves off these sticks!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    X-Tours or X-16s or 18s. Lots or workability and plenty of forgiveness as well. I know the 16s and 18s aren't forged but great sticks. And I would recommend the 704s as well. Owned a set and they were great clubs as well.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 10-21-2005 at 09:58 AM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I think your description pretty much sums up the mizuno line. Something along the lines of the mx series which I used to play.

I just sold my mx20's a month ago to move to the cally fusion. I am very happy.
    However, I would based on price and what you are looking for recommend the mx. Every review on golfreview.com generally says workability with forgiveness. I gave up most of that workability when I went to the cally's.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    X-Tours or X-16s or 18s. Lots or workability and plenty of forgiveness as well. I know the 16s and 18s aren't forged but great sticks. And I would recommend the 704s as well. Owned a set and they were great clubs as well.
    You owned the 704's .. I really want to try them.....
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    I'm surprised by your note about the MP-30's. But, to each their own. I find them just as playable as the MX-23's, but with better distance and shaping.

I would highly recommend the X-16 pro series with S300 Sensicore shafts. A great workable set. I played them for nearly two years before switching up to Mp-33's. Great sticks, just be prepared to play everyday, otherwise your game will suffer accordingly.

Another sure fire setup is the new M675's by MacGregor. These forged beauties deliver pinpoint shotmaking and advanced workability. And they look sweet too.

Just my thoughts....

R35

amsterdam
    Man, I wrote a long post and my pc crashed. No I have to write it all over again....

Well, in summary: The mp-30 and mx-23 don't really differ that much. Hit em both again today and felt the mx-23 to be just a little more forgiving. And the mx-23 still offers great shot shaping possibilities. To this point I have never felt much need to shape shots, other than the occasional draw/fade around a tree. I might when I get to a <5 hcp level, but then again, I'll might never get that low. So I think I'd prefer the little extra forgiveness, even if its just in my head. Cause its all between the ears. I do consider to mix it up though. Something like 3-6/7 mx-23 and 7/8-pw mp-60. If I were to buy Mizuno. Anybody here ever done something like this?

Hit the Titleist 704cb and 804os as well, but didn't like either of them. The Mizuno's felt much better. Ping and Callaway felt very nice as well.

Thanks for all the replies!

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road
    If you're willing to look at something a couple of years old then the Hogan Apex Plus or Edge Pro irons would fit the bill. I've also been very impressed with the latest Snake Eyes forged heads. The Snake Eyes combo set gives you the benefit of a basic cavity back in the longer irons and a more pure blade (but still surprisingly forgiving) look and feel in the shorter irons. I find (when I'm swinging well) that most of the newer cavity back irons have a basic shot tendancy for me (some want to go straight, some a bit left, some a bit right) and deviating from that pattern is a fair bit of effort with unpredictable results ... not that there's anything wrong with a club that wants to hit the ball straight ...

Thread Information