CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Graphite Shafts in Irons

Just wondering if anyone out there is playing Graphite in their irons? Im currently playing to an 8 cap and using Rac TP 2's with Rifle 6.5's. I have thought about experimenting with graphite shafts as i like the feel and lightness any thoughts on the subject? Also wondering if any of you clubmakers have any good reccomendations for the shafts themselves? Thanks guys.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There are plenty who play with graphite in their irons.

Graphite not-withstanding, Rifle 6.5s are not only plenty stiff, but are also on the heavy side. Moving to a much lighter shaft, not sure how light you want to go, will result in a much different feel when you are swinging.

Whether this is a good change for you or not is hard to predict.

There are also some lightweight steel, TX-90, Rifle Air, DG Superlite, that you might want to consider.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Graphite is an excellent alternative as its lighter weight provides the potential for more distance. Most don't play with graphite in their irons mainly because of cost. If you have any kind of wrist/elbow/shoulder problems then by all means get graphite shafts in your irons. 2 weeks ago I played early one morning and the first couple shots were painful i.e my fingers were stinging. I am sure that the shock would have been a lot softer with graphite. Any particular reason why you're using 6.5?

I used to use 6.0's and i found them a bit soft, my clubs are extended by an inch and i like the feel of the 6.5's better. I'm thinking of trying out this change over the winter but i dont want to weight change to be extremely drastic. How much do Rifle 6.5 compare in weight to your average iron graphite shaft?

Rifle 6.5s are 130 grams raw.

You can get graphites in weights ranging from above 100 grams to 66 grams and perhaps even lower these days.

If you're going to go with graphite at the same lengths the swingweight will have to be readjusted

John. Just thought about this. Since your clubs are an inch longer sw will not be an issue. what's the swingweight on your irons now D4?

I think it's d4 Andre. I really like the ballflight i get with the Rifle 6.5's and i've always wanted to try the graphite. Checking out Golfworks it's a pretty pricey proposition for a decent set of graphite iron shafts though. I would have no idea what ones to go with nor if any of them are stiff enough for me.

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

Graphite is little more forgiving

From what I have read and experienced, graphite will give you better shock absorbtion, as mentioned in an earlier post. On the other hand, steel has better control for direction and shaping shots. Since my shots take their own shape, and I am getting older, it's graphite for me. However, there is less feedback from off centre hits, so you need to decide which is more important.

If possible, it would make sense to rent a set so you could try them out on the course first.
    Cheers,
    Tim

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    I switched to graphite this year and I am very satisfied. I will never go back to steel. My shafts are Graffalloy Prolites in the regular flex. My steel shafts were True Temper Extralites with Sensicore also in the regular flex. The shafts in my driver and fairway "woods" are graphite and I thought it just made more sense to have the same type of shafts in all of my clubs. The swingweight of my irons went fron D4 to D1, and I feel I get the same results with less effort.
    He who hits last, walks alone

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy.Reeve
    From what I have read and experienced, graphite will give you better shock absorbtion, as mentioned in an earlier post. On the other hand, steel has better control for direction and shaping shots. Since my shots take their own shape, and I am getting older, it's graphite for me. However, there is less feedback from off centre hits, so you need to decide which is more important.
    Have used graphite shafts(currently Wishon Interflexx) in my irons for several years now and see NO reason to go back to steel.

It is possible these days to find a graphite shaft that suits one's swing characteristics and because the original poster's swing speed is apparently quite high, then a heavier graphite would probably be better. If a suitably weighted shaft is chosen, then I dispute the fact that grahite is less accurate. The accuracy problem may be simply a function of choosing a shaft that is too light and has too much flex or torque for the individuals swing. The same would happen if an unsuitable steel shaft were chosen.

Being able to shape a shot is mainly a function of how the golfer swings, to a small extent the structure of the head(blade versus cavity) and not the shaft. I suppose a shaft that is extremely flexible(L flex) might make it more difficult to fade the ball for a X flex golfer and vica versa, but the difference between what the golfer needs and the too flexible or too stiff shaft would have to be very, very extreme.

Hitting a club off center is very obvious regardless of the material in the shaft. Interestingly, much has been written about the shock absorbtion of graphite to lessen the risk of tendonittis(sp). Golfers who use steel, hit down on the ball, make contact close to the CG and take a divot AFTER the ball, have less tendon problems, so again the problem is a function of how the golfer swings, and not the material in the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Interestingly, much has been written about the shock absorbtion of graphite to lessen the risk of tendonittis(sp). Golfers who use steel, hit down on the ball, make contact close to the CG and take a divot AFTER the ball, have less tendon problems, so again the problem is a function of how the golfer swings, and not the material in the shaft.

They are more shock absorbing than steel. Try hitting both alternately in a driving range on a cold day. You can also ask Scott Verplank.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    They are more shock absorbing than steel. Try hitting both alternately in a driving range on a cold day. You can also ask Scott Verplank.
    I will concede that graphite shafts are more shock absorbing that steeloverall, however, I read or heard that there are some that are worse. I tried the UST Proforce 95 gram S shafts, for example, a few years ago and there were brutal.

Is it true that stepless shafts are more shock absorbing than stepped? Placing some homemade sensicore down any steel apparently helps, as well. I wrapped around a straw, some door frame insulation and according to the golfer, this helped. Using shock absorbing grips also works.

I wonder, too, if forged heads lessens the shock that gets to the hands. The old original PING's, were very brittle(17-4 steel) and any off center hit hurt.

Toe hits would also cause more vibrations to work up the shaft. I hit balls off the Fiberbuilt mats and they significantly reduce shock versus the kind they have at Landsdown Park in the winter which are brutal. Also, the turf from whch I practice at the club is very soft so I never get sore arms from the sessions.

While it is what we should be striving for, if the golfer's hands are ahead of the ball at impact, where the trail wrist is still flexed, there won't be a lot of shock. Easier said than done.

Have you received/viewed the tape yet?

[QUOTE=BC MIST

Have you received/viewed the tape yet?[/QUOTE]

I have thank you very much(friday) I have not viewed it yet as I am too busy reading your replies. Just kidding. Once I do I will get back to you. Thanks again. Did you coneand deburred your irons when you put graphite shafts in them?

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

Graphite shafted 4 iron

I have a quick question, along the same line as this thread.
    When I was trying out irons at GT this year I found that I did not see much of a difference between the steel shafted irons and the graphite shaft irons, until I got to the 4 and 3 irons. When I got down to the 4 and 3 irons, it was suprising how much easier it was to hit the irons well with the graphite shaft.
    What is it that graphite does that makes such a difference, particularly in the long irons? I decided to go with steel shafts, but should I reshaft the long irons with graphite?

Just wondering

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    What is it that graphite does that makes such a difference, particularly in the long irons? I decided to go with steel shafts, but should I reshaft the long irons with graphite?
    It could be a number of things.

The weight of the shaft is probably the biggest factor, i.e. the graphite shafted 3i/4i is lighter and therefore easier to hit for you. Or it could be that the flex profile of the graphite shafted iron suits you better.

In the end, it's mostly about preference.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I just went back to steel from graphite (different irons though). I went almost 2 yrs ago to graphite due to pain in my shoulder and elbow.
    My scores have gone down almost 6 strokes on avg. Is it because I am more accurate? More suitable new irons?

I don't know but wouldn't chance it. I have dropped my handicap from 17 to 13.4.
    I used to say graphite was the same but don't feel the same way anymore.

If the pain returns I would look at shock absorption add ons vs graphite.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I used to play with metal shaft in my irons.

Went to graphite this year and my left elbow is painfree although I played more and the ground was a lot harder (dry).

My swing is hte same, divots on every shot and high ball flight. Distance has not change too much maybe a bit longer but probably because I have more confidence. I sometime will pull my short irons probably from having a faster swing but all in all I will not go back to metal shaft.

Chambo

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Placing some homemade sensicore down any steel apparently helps, as well. I wrapped around a straw, some door frame insulation and according to the golfer, this helped.
    Hi BC MIST

Sensicore and homemade product of the same [straw + foam] promotes internal shaft rusting, and premature shaft failure right in the region of the grip. This is due to the open cell construction of the foam which wicks up moisture due to condensation. A superior product, void of this failure mode, is Pro-Soft inserts.
    Kind regards, Harry

Thread Information