CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think we will be just fine, he only has 3 points. As long as Alfie, Spezza and Heatley are up front, we will have goals and wins.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Dan (broken27) how do you react to the 5? Enough? To much?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Perfect. Let the punishment fit the crime.

Now we'll see if the Sens have the character to continue to defend their perfect record with one of their best out of the line-up, or if it will be their excuse to try and justify their first loss...
    It wouldn't be much of an excuse though would it?

Don't forget that Havlat still plays on the 3rd line and while exciting on the penalty kill, is more there for breakaway opportunities than shot blocking.

He has only contributed 3pts to the team this season. While the Sens will lose the added dimension of Havlats trickery, the top two lines, goalies and defence still remain.

It would be a lame excuse if they did use it. Leave the whining to the Maple Leafs, I say.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Dan (broken27) how do you react to the 5? Enough? To much?
    I think 5 games is likely 2 too many, but since he has priors, I guess it fits. Shouldn't have kicked the guy, but I agree with his assessment that when you're off balance like that, you can have impulsive reactions...

No biggie.

How this guy gets stuck on the third line is beyond me...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

I would like to see him up with Alfredson, the 2 of them could feed each other. There must a reason they don't do it, maybe they have no chemistry...who knows. The up side is that Ottawa has a lot of depth this way through out all there lines and any given night the 3rd line can score like a 1st line, the numbers on the lines is just logistics.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Well it's 5 games for our starting kicker. Seems fair, not overly harsh but gets the point across.
    Seems very fair.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    It would be a lame excuse if they did use it. Leave the whining to the Maple Leafs, I say.
    I just can't get get you outta my head.
    Cause your love is all I think about.
    I just can't get you outta my head.
    Cause your lovin' is all I think about................

It's a song. Seems fitting at this time.

Whining? have you been reading this board lately. I'd say since the Sens were declared the favourites to win the cup by everyone ( me included ) The whining from sens land has hit fever pitch. Don't worry about the Maple Leafs they'll survive.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Havlat was stupid and a repeat offender but didn't cause an injury. I believe he deserves a ban (don't get me wrong) but I just don't want the NHL to go crazy and give him 10 games or more.
    10 games would not be out of the question if Havlat kicks for the third time. Seen the video of the 2nd incident....that kick was way past being innocent. It just missed the groin by inches.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Whining? have you been reading this board lately. I'd say since the Sens were declared the favourites to win the cup by everyone ( me included ) The whining from sens land has hit fever pitch. Don't worry about the Maple Leafs they'll survive.
    Quite sadly, I'll have to agree with this, except the last sentence... I mentioned it earlier that I find it strange how people are looking for stuff to dislike about this team. First it was Hasek and his helmet, now Havlat's kicking... Started with Alfie's hairdo last season I think...

I can understand being opposed to kicking in hockey, as I don't personally endorse it myself... But even on the sports radio waves, everyone seems to have some beef about something. I heard someone talking about Fisher's lack of ice time in the last game, which was funny since he didn't play...

Dan

Yeah I stuggle to see how Hasek's helmet and Havlat's skate should turn real Sens fans off supporting the Senators. I can only imagine that the moaners are not true fans and are only hanging around for Sens to get thrashed or dumped out of the cup so that they can tell the world that "I told you so".

I will support this team through thick and thin and I am liking what I am seeing on the ice at the moment.

One thing though, I would love to see is soccer style songs sang at games in appreciation for certain players rather than "GO SENS GO".

You know things like. "Dany Heatley, Oh Dany Heatley, you make me happy when skys are grey, you'll never know how, how much we love you, oh please don't take our Heatley away."

Yeah I stuggle to see how Hasek's helmet and Havlat's skate should turn real Sens fans off supporting the Senators. I can only imagine that the moaners are not true fans and are only hanging around for Sens to get thrashed or dumped out of the cup so that they can tell the world that "I told you so".

I will support this team through thick and thin and I am liking what I am seeing on the ice at the moment.

One thing though, I would love to see is soccer style songs sang at games in appreciation for certain players rather than "GO SENS GO".

You know things like. "Dany Heatley, Oh Dany Heatley, you make me happy when skys are grey, you'll never know how, how much we love you, oh please don't take our Heatley away."
    I love how Hank thinks... Always onwards and upwards it seems... Well done. Actually, I doubt many of you caught the article I wrote about this very idea about a year ago, after I attended a game where the whole crowd boo-ed Yashin, who gave so much to our community both on and off the ice...

I wouldn't go so far as to endorse the particular song Hank has proposed (both my loathing of Heatley as a player, and the tune itself...lol), but maybe if we put out heads together we could figure things out...

Dan

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Dan-iel Alf-red-son, tra la-la la-laaaa, Dan-iel Alf-red-son, TRA la la-la-la-la-la

Singing in arenas would be FANTASTIC. People who haven't been to a game have no idea of the atmosphere at footie games.

Here's one for Hank:

Oh Kanata in the sun,
    Senators 7 and Rangers 1

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I wouldn't go so far as to endorse the particular song Hank has proposed (both my loathing of Heatley as a player, and the tune itself...lol), but maybe if we put out heads together we could figure things out...Dan
    That was just my little example.

Some of the stuff I have heard at football (soccer) matches over the years is hilarious and really clever.

Take Chelsea (before they were bought by a multi-billionaire and spoiled the EPL by pricing every other team out of the market), the crowd had a song for a defender called Franc Leboeuf that went "he's here he's there he's every-f**king-where, he's Franc Leboeuf, he's Franc Leboeuf". After the game F Le B was being interviewed and said that he liked the song but would prefer if they didn't swear as he has a 5 year old who comes to the games. Next game the fans had changed the lyrics to "he's here he's there, we're not allowed to swear, he's Franc Leboeuf, he's Franc Leboeuf". Classic stuff.
    Last edited by Hank Hill; 10-19-2005 at 11:30 AM.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I have been watching the hockey threads here for a while without saying anything since things get out of control way to quickly and the point is lost.
    I will say this as a fan of hockey kicking has no place in hockey. I think everyone knows that even Havlat who did an extremely hard thing by not making excuses for his actions and admitting that he had kicked and that he knew it had no place in hockey. Personaly I will reserve judgement on him for now given that he is a huge talent and I am willing to live with his occasional brain cramps.

The real point for me here is whether or not he kicks, Hasek wears his helmet during the anthem, or Alfredson gets his hair cut makes absolutely no difference to me as long as the Sens win.

The funny part of all this is that I am not a huge Sen fan. Actually I was at the game to see the Bruins.

Quote Originally Posted by psniddy
    The real point for me here is whether or not he kicks, Hasek wears his helmet during the anthem, or Alfredson gets his hair cut makes absolutely no difference to me as long as the Sens win.
    So are you saying that if the Sens lose then Havlats behaviour, Alfies hair and Haseks lid are an issue to you?

I follow a team whether they win or lose. It's in my blood. I always wonder whether in North America where franchises move around, a lot of people don't get too attached to teams in case they leave for a new city, and are only interested in the team if they win. I can imagine the uproar that would occur if Newcastle United decied to up sticks and go and play in Devon (which is on the other side of the country). Full out riots would ensue.

So are you saying that if the Sens lose then Havlats behaviour, Alfies hair and Haseks lid are an issue to you?

I follow a team whether they win or lose. It's in my blood. I always wonder whether in North America where franchises move around, a lot of people don't get too attached to teams in case they leave for a new city, and are only interested in the team if they win. I can imagine the uproar that would occur if Newcastle United decied to up sticks and go and play in Devon (which is on the other side of the country). Full out riots would ensue.
    I think his post was just worded weirldy and that he means those other things are irrelevant, the main this is how the team is playing... If I am speaking out of turn, or am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Loved those Le Boeuf songs you posted up there, just hilarious the second one that is censored... Clever fans!

I don't think North Americans are quite as finicky as you describe... Maybe in newer markets like Ottawa, Nashville, San Jose, Carolina and going back to 1976 or so, fans used to cheer for other teams, and haven't had a chance to get the passion levels up. I know in Boston, NY, Detroit, Chicago (not as much), among other cities, the fans are pretty die-hard. You'd be hard pressed to find more loyal fans than Detroit...

Okay, so maybe it isn't taken to the fanatic level that you see in soccer, but that's sometimes a little out of control, and rioting is hardly the way to support your club...lol.

But I agree, there are a lot of "marginal" fans out there, who are on and off the bandwagon all the time...

Dan

I think his post was just worded weirldy and that he means those other things are irrelevant, the main this is how the team is playing... If I am speaking out of turn, or am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

I have read it again and I think you are correct, it's more a case of bad grammar than anything else. Psniddy, please accept my sincere apology.

I don't think North Americans are quite as finicky as you describe... Maybe in newer markets like Ottawa, Nashville, San Jose, Carolina and going back to 1976 or so, fans used to cheer for other teams, and haven't had a chance to get the passion levels up. I know in Boston, NY, Detroit, Chicago (not as much), among other cities, the fans are pretty die-hard. You'd be hard pressed to find more loyal fans than Detroit...
    I should have been more specific. I really love the noise that the Montreal fans make, really passionate, Boston, Detroit and Toronto too. Die hard. I can understand that it would take a while for fans to warm up to a new fanchise. I hope the Ottawa fans (me included) can really crank it up a couple of notches this season and make the Coral Centre a wall of noise.

Okay, so maybe it isn't taken to the fanatic level that you see in soccer, but that's sometimes a little out of control, and rioting is hardly the way to support your club...lol.
    Yeah the rioting and violence (in many countries) is a black mark on a fantastic sport, enjoyed worldwide.

But I agree, there are a lot of "marginal" fans out there, who are on and off the bandwagon all the time...
    Only really happens with the successful teams in Britain. Those who threw away thier Arsenal shirts and bought Chelsea ones this season should hang their heads in shame.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I really love the noise that the Montreal fans make, really passionate...
    I have a video tape of the Montreal / Central Red Army game from New Years Eve 1975. I still get chills when I watch it. The passion of the fans was incredible. Every time on of the Habs started up the ice with the puck you could hear the roar start to build, and when the puck was going the other way you could hear the fear. IMO, with the exception of the '72 Summit Series, that is the best game that I've ever seen.

I watched the Sens game on Saturday night and you could hear a pin drop most of the time, like the fans were bored or something. The only time they seem to get ramped up is when the Leafs are in town.
    Last edited by LobWedge; 10-19-2005 at 01:18 PM.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road

I am saying that these things have no bearing or very little bearing on whether or not they win so I don't care. I want to see Ottawa win because it would be great for this city financially and might spark some civic pride.

I just reread my original post and it was wordy to say the least. Sorry and appoligies accepted.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    I have a video tape of the Montreal / Central Red Army game from New Years Eve 1975. I still get chills when I watch it. The passion of the fans was incredible. Every time on of the Habs started up the ice with the puck you could hear the roar start to build, and when the puck was going the other way you could hear the fear. IMO, with the exception of the '72 Summit Series, that is the best game that I've ever seen.

I watched the Sens game on Saturday night and you could hear a pin drop most of the time, like the fans were bored or something. The only time they seem to get ramped up is when the Leafs are in town.
    I've only been playing and watching the game for forty years - New Year's Eve 1975 WAS the greatest game ever played. Maybe game 8 in Moscow was more emotionally charged, maybe the gold medal game in Salt Lake had the most viewers, but for shear entertainment, Canadiens/Central REd Army was the best.

I can't really judge things I was too young to ride the emotion of, but sounds like the atmosphere was as intense as the game... I've watched it several times, most recently on NHL Classics.

To me, the most memorable hockey moments of my lifetime are the Czechs winning gold at Nagano and (sadly) the greatness of Steve Yzerman as he passed the Cup to crippled Vladdy Konstantinov. Just incredible.

Best game ever? Game 7 of NYR/VAN Cup finals in 1995 (yr?).

dan

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Anyone else find it hilarious that Leaf fans (or message boards) are calling him Martin "that's my purse" Havlat?
    I'm a Sens fan, but that reference to King of the Hill is absolutely CLASSIC! I think it would be great to chant "That's my Purse" after Havlat's first goal once he's back!

To explain, there was an episode where Bobby Hill too ka woman's self defense class and won a whole bunch of fights by screaming "that's my purse" and kicking his assailant in the groin.

Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    Anyone else find it hilarious that Leaf fans (or message boards) are calling him Martin "that's my purse" Havlat?
    I'm a Sens fan, but that reference to King of the Hill is absolutely CLASSIC! I think it would be great to chant "That's my Purse" after Havlat's first goal once he's back!
    Classic! Great episode of KOTH too.

Well, Havlat delivered a proverbial kick to the groin of the Sabres tonight (and we're only through 2 periods). This kid is going to be the best player in the league soon... Especially if they gave him better linemates.

He's just awesome.

Dan

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Well with 4 goals tonight, I guess the Sabres are wondering where he is on the ice... wow... the guy really doesn't want to be traded.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Looks like Havlats suspension really gave his season a "kick start"...................cheesy I know, I know.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Apparently the Sabres had his purse....now that game was a kick in the groin! (this pun is going to get WAY overused in the next day or two).

And what about Mcgratten...what a tough kid!

I don't care if you like fighting or not Mcgratten is a tough kid and he is going to be a big reason why nobody messes with our superstars this year! Is it just me or does Domi's nose actually look better!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I don't care if you like fighting or not Mcgratten is a tough kid and he is going to be a big reason why nobody messes with our superstars this year! Is it just me or does Domi's nose actually look better!
    One lucky punch and Sens Nation is goin wild. I actually hadn't seen the fight till a couple of days McGratton got a hand free and got a luck shot in. Man you guys made it sound like he had Tie by the collar and was thumping him to oblivion.

Anyway getting back to the cheering thing. Yes the Sens should stop the Go sens Go thing. it's lame as crap considering your provincial enemy was doing it before you got a team back in the capital.

Time to create an identity. It's a canadian thing I guess. Because we yell that stupid cheer with everything "GO CA-NA-DA GO" it sounds ridiculous. I'm not talking about Ole ole ole ole. or anything. But I'll give those Habs fans credit for being different.

I'm sitting in the nose bleeds tonight, first time ever. I'll start as a sens fan but if it's lame as crap. I'm cheering for Tampa Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I'm sitting in the nose bleeds tonight, first time ever. I'll start as a sens fan but if it's lame as crap. I'm cheering for Tampa Bay.
    Typical Leaf fan, jump on one band wagon...if this go down hill, there's always another.

Thread Information