Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Originally posted by Gary Hill
    em69 -

Could you explain what you mean by "the front of the tee-box."

Tee-markers ?
    Teeing ground?
    The whole teeing area?

Where did you get your information that the par 3's are measured from the front of the "tee-box"?

Gary,
    I caddied during the Eagle Creek Classic a few years ago and all the pros would pace of the distance of the par 3s from the front of the teeing ground to where the tee markers are placed on that day.
    i.e If a hole measured 170 yards from the blue teeing ground, they would pace off from the front of the blue teeing ground to where the tee-markers are placed (so obviously the hole would never measure less than 170). This would give them the exact yardage to the front of the green. The pros would then look at the pin placement charts and add the distance to the green.

I'm just saying this is how the pros did it during the tournament.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Eagle Creek has permanent markers set in the teeing ground indicating the distances. These represent the distance to the centre of the green which would be useless to the pros since they need to figure out exact yardage to the pin.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    The tee-box, tee marker, teeing ground and whole teeing area question was my attempt to understand exactly what you meant by "front".

The tee markers ARE the front of the teeing ground.
    "Tee-box" is unknown to me.

I will grant you that the Par 3's at Eagle Creek have permanent markers at the front of the teeing areas instead of the usual "middle" or from the "post".

The calculation must therefore be made using these front markers instead of the usual "post" markings.
    (The old yardage books provided the distance from these front markers.)

I still am confused as to how this relates to: "We can learn a lot from these guys."

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

Learn what?

I too am confused Gary as to what we should be learning from these guys.
    Yardage for pros & yardage for the average player are different animals. For me, if I know it's 150 to the middle of the green that's enough information based on my ability.
    If a caddie gave a pro yardage of "150 to the middle" he would probably be fired on the spot. I think all pros want the distance to the flag in paces from the front of the green - something that is hardly necessary for the average duffer.
    What have I learned...

Thread Information