100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar

Checking for wind

I notice some people with reach down and rip out some perfectly healthy grass, fling it in the air and observse its journey to the ground. I chuckle inside every time, wondering exactly what they think they are measuring, and how the are reacting to that measurement. Do people seriously gain some insight from doing this, or is it simply some ritual designed to install a greater confidence in the shot they are preparing to make.

Just curious.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    It's a pretty good way to check the direction and the speed of the wind. If the grass flies from your hands the you know its a pretty strong wind and maybe I should club up. Sometimes a flag maybe still but you know above the trees there is a string wind, flinging a little grass by the tee box sometimes helps you figure it out. How do you check the wind, lick your finger!

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    Sure if there's signicant wind in your face you'll factor that into the distance you intend to hit your shot. For example, If I'm standing at the 100 yard marker, the pin is at the back of the green (add 4 yards) , hitting INTO the wind (add 3 yards), and the green is elevated 10 feet, I'm going to be hitting a pitching wedge instead of a gap wedge. If there was no wind I might try to "step on" a gap wedge or at least make sure I hit it well.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it's actually very helpful.

Wind can change dramatically in terms of direction and speed over the course of a shot, a hole and a round. For me it's mostly the direction I am interested in as you are always back and forth on the course, hitting from different sides of the fairway, etc and it makes a huge difference. It helps with club selection and sometimes even how hard to swing that club.

Well I used to do this myself, but after asking this question in my mind, it seemed baseless for an accurate reading of how the wind will effect my shot. I do observe many things trying to determine wind conditions, like the leaves on the trees (or the ones running across the fairways after they fall), tall grass, smoke from a cigarette, my partners toupee blowing off, LOL.

I just wondered what real accurate information people could gleen from this, that is not readily observable in other ways. Maybe there should put a weather vane on golf carts.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    From my experience, if you drop a piece of grass from shoulder height and it travels farther that 47 and a half yards you probably should seek shelter. Unless you are currently under par; then all bets are off and you should suck it up and finish your round!!!!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    From my experience, if you drop a piece of grass from shoulder height and it travels farther that 47 and a half yards you probably should seek shelter. Unless you are currently under par; then all bets are off and you should suck it up and finish your round!!!!
    Wind blows like that a lot at my course. Hell you could toss a good sized divot in the air and it would go 10 yards somedays!
    I always love watching "ZINGER" do the wind test with the grass. He kind of flicks it in the direction the wind is blowing, I wonder how he factors in the "FLICK DISTANCE"

ONLY SEEK SHELTER WHEN THE BALL WILL NO LONGER STAY ON A TEE, OR THE GREEN. IF YOU SEE SMALL TREES BEING UPROOTED, OR A MEMBER OF YOUR FOURSOME GETS KNOCKED TO THE GROUND IT MIGHT BE TIME TO HEAD INTO THE CLUBHOUSE!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    I do observe many things trying to determine wind conditions, like the leaves on the trees (or the ones running across the fairways after they fall), tall grass, smoke from a cigarette, my partners toupee blowing off, LOL.
    How does observing smoke from a cigarette differ from the grass "ritual"?

I know - a bit smart-alecky question but if picking up and tossing some grass to see what the wind does is ridiculous and useless, then the cigarette smoke would be equally as unhelpful. Couldn't help myself...

Really not much, neither seem particularly indicative of much but basic direction at your current position. It was just one example of things that can be observed.

Actually the most helpful observation is when the person before you hits the ball and then announces after falling short (on a seemingly good shot), that they should have taken more club because of the wind.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    zoic, if the grass means nothing to you, please tell us how you judge the wind?
    How do YOU know when to hit two more clubs or two less clubs?

I'll keep throwing the grass thanks.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Well I do not take the wind into consideration at all, unless it is rather noticeable, like over 20kph or more. Then I use the methods suggested above like looking at tree leaves, tall grass, other peoples shots. I suppose when I can hit my irons the same distance each time consistently I will be more concerned about the wind, until then I am more concerned about whether I will hit the ball well, and just let the wind have its way for now. For teeing off, I just try to keep the ball lower if I can.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

hmmmm

Well, I know exactly how far I hit each iron so even a little bit of wind can affect the shot. It's more of a "feel" thing than anything else, but if there is a bit of wind in my face I know I will need more club to get it there. A bit of wind behind and I may just swing a bit easier.

Same goes with sideways wind. Aim right or left of the flag depending on where its coming from.

If it's blowing hard, adjust accordingly. The grass simply gives me an idea of how hard and which direction. The other things I look at are the trees and the flag. Sometimes it is fairly calm where you are standing, but the tops of the trees are blowing so you know there is lots of wind up there. Same goes for the flag.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    If you hit the ball on a high trajectory, the wind is ALWAYS a consideration. If I think there is any wind at all, I check it by tossing some grass or dead leaves. It can easily mean a 2-club difference for me.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

If I think there is any wind at all, I check it by tossing some grass or dead leaves. It can easily mean a 2-club difference for me.
    That really seems to be where the problem is for me. I see the effect of wind on my shots, and can determine direction and to some degree speed or intensity (often I check the weather channel to see the big picture for the day), but I do not seem to hit my irons the same distance consistently, so using the wind info I gathered and tying it to my club selection seems to be hit or miss.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    Well, I know exactly how far I hit each iron so even a little bit of wind can affect the shot. It's more of a "feel" thing than anything else, but if there is a bit of wind in my face I know I will need more club to get it there. A bit of wind behind and I may just swing a bit easier.

Same goes with sideways wind. Aim right or left of the flag depending on where its coming from.

If it's blowing hard, adjust accordingly. The grass simply gives me an idea of how hard and which direction. The other things I look at are the trees and the flag. Sometimes it is fairly calm where you are standing, but the tops of the trees are blowing so you know there is lots of wind up there. Same goes for the flag.

I agree with jeff (funny how that works). I go by feel and flags for intensity. The grass allows me to determine direction when I am not sure which way the wind is blowing.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I also use it for direction... I find that if there is wind in my face it's tough to tell if it's head on or coming across diagonally.

Thread Information