CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf and Women

3 Wood golfdoc is on a distinguished road

Golf and Women

Well, since the pros are taking about it, we should to.

No women at Augusta. Is it right or wrong?

In my opinion, it is the choice of Augusta. There are many places in the world that have mens or women only restrictions. Augusta has every right to say no women allowed. There is nothing stopping a bunch of women from opening a wome's only course.

Hey, there's an idea... Women only course...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Nor is it any business of the lawmakers if the PGA wants to make walking a local rule.

I am getting pretty tired of all the politically correct pushing for equal access. Jeez I could not join Augusta, and I'm a guy... Who can I write to? I am being discriminated against!

Seriously though, PC is fine when it comes to fair treatment for all, but these are private and exclusive organizations. They should be free to make their own rules.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I agree with Dan that private clubs can make their own rules.

1) Are we going to start complaining that it's discriminatory to poor people that private clubs charge over $1 to be a member?

2) Are we going to start to complain that men can't join a women only league!!!

I could go on and on but I think you get the point...

Bottom line is: If the rule says you can't, you can't.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

I wonder?

I wonder what would happen if I tried to join the Women's Golf Around League advertised on this site or insisted that I be allowed to play on Women's night at the local course instead of Men's night?

PC has a place but it gets abused for the wrong causes. That said I do believe it is only a matter of time before prestigeous clubs like Augusta allow women. It will happen, it just makes sense.

Say, doesn't the Ottawa Hunt Club still have a men's only lounge?

Hey Golfdoc, if that women's only course gets off the ground I'm definitely signing up to be a cart girl, err boy.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    There seems to be more & mnore finger-pointing whiners in the world today. The worst part is - the people complaining about Augusta & the like want everyone to see the world as they view it and play by their rules. Isn't that the ultimate in hypocrisy?
    If a course or club doesn't operate the way you would like - too bad - take your business elsewhere - the problem is these people just need something to complain about.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road
    :crying my ball my rules....same holds true here
    my course my rules, if u dont like it tough...
    go and build your own course, then you can make up whatever rules you think should be in effect..cause its your course, but guess what..
    some whinney ass will complain about it too...
    there are lots of places to play, things to do, if you cant get in one door, go into the next and enjoy...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Oh well, since mr shank won't play devil's advocate on this one, I guess I will!

Augusta is a private and exclusive club, played on private property, so they get to make the rules on who gets to join. No argument there.

But to me, the real question is not whether or not they have THE RIGHT to ban women from the club - the real question is what is the REAL PURPOSE and motivation behind such a rule?

If the real purpose is to provide a kind of sanctuary for men - a place for guys to hang out without the baggage that comes from being in "mixed" company - then I think that's fine. That's what men's & women's leagues are all about at other clubs too.

But if this policy really comes from the elitist and sexist attitude that women don't belong on a golf course (which I suspect it does), then I think the people at Augusta need to grow up.

I keep hearing people defending the club's RIGHT to set their own rules and policies. I've never questioned that right. What I'm not hearing is any explanation about WHY the club has such a policy. Just because they have the RIGHT to make a decision doesn't mean I'm not allowed to question it.
    Last edited by el tigre; 07-26-2002 at 12:44 AM.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

G.O.L.F.

G.O.L.F.

Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden.

Isn't that how the word golf was introduced??

blur13
    It is not, as is widely supposed, an acronym for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden"! Here's the story:

The word "golf" is recorded as long ago as 1457, in the statutes of the Scottish Parliament, when the sport was banned because it interfered with archery practice. The word was also spelled "gowf", reflecting the way the Scots pronounced it. Some say the word derives from an Old Dutch or Old German word "kolb, kolven" meaning club, clubs.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    It's my understanding that Augusta doesn't actually have a rule spelled out anywhere that forbids women from joining. They simply don't have any women members.
    Having said that, I still believe it is the right of any private club to base membership on whatever criteria they think is acceptable. If that means no women, then so be it. You can put my name on the waiting list.
    Thanks for the history lesson blur, but I prefer Shtick's acronym for GOLF.

Putter captain is on a distinguished road
    Hey 4jag, there is an all ladies course in Toronto (The Toronto Ladies Golf Club). I don't think you want to be a cart boy because I know a person who worked their and he said that all the ladies are old and ugly!
    Augusta has no problem with women playing their course and the women are allowed to play at anytime (even the first group Saturday morning) as long as they are with a member of course. However there are other courses in the States where women can't even get inside the front gate. So why don't these womens groups go pick on them and leave Augusta alone?

Thread Information