CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Who is the biggest club ho

Saw this thread on another site and thought I'd present it here. So how many changes has everyone made this season.

Who would you like to start us off??... ... Geoff??
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Just by the ads on here Geoff has got to be "The Club Ho"!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I don't know if I qualify to be a ho, maybe just a golfing slut. But anyway this is the first year I've been using a R7 knockoff called a SVG 7 titanium driver, it has a grafalloy pro launch shaft and the total length is 46 inches. It just smokes the ball, although I had to learn to really tee the ball up high to get the perfect trajectory. I'm easily 12 to 15 yards longer because I actually get some roll now. I'm not going to tell you my avg. drive because 50 year olds aren't suppose to hit that far but I now have the knickname F...g Egan because of the skins I've been winning this year. I don't forsee any changes for next year unless I get a new 5 wood. Frank

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213
    I don't know if I qualify to be a ho, maybe just a golfing slut. But anyway this is the first year I've been using a R7 knockoff called a SVG 7 titanium driver, it has a grafalloy pro launch shaft and the total length is 46 inches. It just smokes the ball, although I had to learn to really tee the ball up high to get the perfect trajectory. I'm easily 12 to 15 yards longer because I actually get some roll now. I'm not going to tell you my avg. drive because 50 year olds aren't suppose to hit that far but I now have the knickname F...g Egan because of the skins I've been winning this year. I don't forsee any changes for next year unless I get a new 5 wood. Frank
    SELL ME THAT DRIVER FRANK! I'll turn 50 in Feb, I need all the help I can get!

As for being a CLUB HO, not me. I have two sets of irons, two drivers, 1 3 wood, 2 putters, two hybrids I just traded. Plus my 3 wedges. Hardly A HO
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Switched drivers a couple times but still hanging on to my irons and fairway woods.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    This season?.... I can't even remember back that far...
    But quite frankly, the biggest 'ho on this site is RGK5. That I know for a fact. MitchDoc is pretty close. Of course they are both from out of town.

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    Started the season with X14's, then switched them to X18's and about 2 weeks ago switched them to Titleist 804's.

Started the year with Callaway GBBII and then switched to the 454...

3 Wood mike k is on a distinguished road

How Many Iron Sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    But quite frankly, the biggest 'ho on this site is RGK5. That I know for a fact. MitchDoc is pretty close. Of course they are both from out of town.
    Reid, how many iron sets did you say you've used in the last 2 years? The number 23 comes to mind. At least you can display the sets you keep around.. heh, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by mike k
    Reid, how many iron sets did you say you've used in the last 2 years? The number 23 comes to mind. At least you can display the sets you keep around.. heh, heh.
    Honest to God I can't remember the exact number of irons I've used over the past couple of years. I seem to recall coming up with over 20 last year alone when trying to make a list at the end of the season (it's around here somewhere) but I'm pretty sure I forgot some.
    I do know that in the last 9 rounds I've played I've used 7 different iron sets. And as I recall by the end of May this year I had already gone thru 8. There were a bunch in there in between but it's not like I keep track LOL! And this has been a pretty slow year in which I vowed to not change equipment as much.
    On the bright side, I've stuck with my G2 driver since May after going thru 4 or 5 other drivers in the first month of the season, and I haven't experimented much with fairway woods or wedges this year. Putters are another story but even that has settled down somewhat. My irons addiction however is still going strong. In fact just about 5 minutes ago I completed a trade for another set of irons that will be on their way to me later today. The irons I traded for them I picked up last month and have barely used but...
    Anyway, off to the post office... .

Reid

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Tweaking

Tweaking is half the fun. I switched irons this year to X-14s, added a V-steel 7 wood, changed my 2 woods to V-steels, changed shafts on my 3 wood and driver, switched to graphite shafts on the new irons, got rid of the 7 wood in favour of my new 3 iron, switched sand wedges, added a 60° wedge so I got rid of the 4 iron and finally I added a rescue mid 3 instead of the 3 iron, sold my 2-ball for a Scotty, got rid of the Scotty for a Hippo putter blade and now I just received the 2 bar Guerin Rife. I also needed a new bag to house this important stock of equipment, oh and a new push cart, oh and new shoes, 3 pairs. Do I shoot any better, HELL NO, but man, that was fun!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Alright I've seen my name a few times so I better defend myself. I searched high and low to see if I could find the proper definition for "club ho". To my dissmay I could not find it. So I'll give mine. I believe a club ho is someone who constantly changes equipment just for the sake of change (guilty) but who also amasses such a wide array of equipment (not guilty) that they could play for a week and not use the same setup twice. So in my defence I ever only own one of everything at any given time. But some forum members who shall rename nameless ( insert subliminal message here: Saint, Reid Masson, others, end subliminal message) own x number of sets and putters, wedges, drivers etc, etc, etc. If I remember Mr. Saint you told me you have no less than 8 sets of irons and are planning on building two more. So I ask you all not to judge so quickly as to who the biggest club ho is, because some of us are closet club hos...................

The defence rests your honour!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Ho ho ho...

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I'm glad not to see my name in the list

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I believe a club ho is someone who constantly changes equipment just for the sake of change (guilty) but who also amasses such a wide array of equipment (not guilty) that they could play for a week and not use the same setup twice. So in my defence I ever only own one of everything at any given time.
    Just because you only do it "one-at-a-time" doesn't mean you ain't a 'ho.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by big easy
    I'm glad not to see my name in the list
    Oh, you're right up there.... however sticking with those TA-1 Gunmetals for over a year cost you points LOL!

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

club Ho

You guys make me feel better when I look at the number of times that you change clubs. I think I'll make my wife read this thread the next time she mentions that I change club tooo often.

Thanks for being more club ho than me.

Claude

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    It still amazes me that some of you change clubs so frequently. Anything to make you feel like a better player I guess.

I haven't changed a club in my bag since replacing my 3 wood for a 2 iron three years ago. So, to me, you are all club ho's!!

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Oh, you're right up there.... however sticking with those TA-1 Gunmetals for over a year cost you points LOL!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    It still amazes me that some of you change clubs so frequently. Anything to make you feel like a better player I guess.

I haven't changed a club in my bag since replacing my 3 wood for a 2 iron three years ago. So, to me, you are all club ho's!!
    It amazes me as well....though I like the benefit of picking up nearly new clubs at discounted rates.

I make the odd change, but it's usually a driver, adding a hybrid, etc. Changing a set of irons is a major move for me and not something I want to do often.

My bag is to the point that I can't forsee making too many changes in the near future....

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Has Tickyboy made it to OG yet? I know he's on TGN now and judging by the swap threads on GEA he'd give you guys a run for your money. Except I guess you three are the ones populating those threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Switched drivers a couple times but still hanging on to my irons and fairway woods.
    And I think Andre's being pretty shy...

Maybe for the site ho championship you could db search and tabulate the number of posts of the contenders in the classifed forums vs the total posts in those forums. Has to be Geoff hands down since I joined this site this spring. In his latest what's in the bag post, count how many of the items were up for sale WHILE HE POSTED IT!!!!

You guys are great, you must be killing your wives, but honestly this is a great forum. I'm no ho, but I've got pretty much a whole new bag this year: new irons, new driver, new putter, new bag. This stuff replaced my old set which I'd spent several hundred dollars on without a clue as to what I was doing. I followed this site and learned tons about what I was looking for, I got great advice from forum members on the irons and driver purchases, and I got a great putter and bag thanks to LeftyLucas and Covanant. I can't imagine a better local golf site filled with better people anywhere.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    For those who like "switching" clubs....wouldn't be easier to go thru and demo all the clubs at GT to find the best set or individual club? I've only been to a GT store once (just recently)....and I thought that I was living a dream.....so many nice and pricey clubs, so little time. Thru strong will power, I didn't buy any clubs, but did spend almost $200 on a pair of Adidas golf shoes and a Maxfli glove.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    For those who like "switching" clubs....wouldn't be easier to go thru and demo all the clubs at GT to find the best set or individual club? I've only been to a GT store once (just recently)....and I thought that I was living a dream.....so many nice and pricey clubs, so little time. Thru strong will power, I didn't buy any clubs, but did spend almost $200 on a pair of Adidas golf shoes and a Maxfli glove.

Dave
    Oh, we do that too... .
    For me at least it's not about the search for the magic sticks. I've hit enough to know that there aren't any. It's about enjoying and appreciating different equipment and there characteristics.
    Ironwise, I could take out my wife's set of irons (and I have...) and I'd probably score exactly the same. So it really doesn't matter what I put in the bag, within reason of course.
    But it is great fun trying out new sticks, different shafts and different combos . Over the years it's helped me learn a lot about golf clubs, my swing and what works for me. Play shovels on Saturday and practice hitting high spinners coming into the green.... switch to blades on Sunday and it's a round full of knockdowns. Final scores will be about the same. Lots of fun, although it usually does take a couple of holes to fully adjust...
    I used a different set of iron for each of the 3 Ottawa Golf Tour events I played and sucked equally in each one.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    Saw this thread on another site and thought I'd present it here. So how many changes has everyone made this season.

Who would you like to start us off??... ... Geoff??
    This season I've had:

Drivers: 510TP, TM320, ZT 330, 580XD, 983K, 983E, Ignite 460(present)

3-woods: PT15, Orlimar 14, S2H2(present), Mac MT persimmon

Irons: 588P(present), Firesole, Apex blade, Adams A1, Precept EV, Mizuno Pro,

Putters: 2-ball, Anser(present), Bettinardi, Jazz, Palmer blade,

I agree with Reid and that's not about finding the magic sticks. It's the appreciation of the club; the design and look and the feel in your hands. It's a like a taylor who walks through a clothes store and he touches all the material to feel it's quality. I have had over a dozen sets of clubs in my bag this year, 5 drivers, 3 3 woods and 3 putters. I'm not compulsive but I like feeling that each club has and seeing the performance of each club. I know what I like and what I don't like. If I can sell of some of the sets I have I'm going to buy more sets. I'll always have me favourites that I won't sell. I'd like to keep my passion (notice I said passion, not compulsion) to about 4 sets with 2 drivers and 2 putters. So everybody, buy my clubs so that I can buy/trade/sell some more.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I like this thread because i don't feel so bad about how many clubs i have used. I thought i would take the time to list how many i have used this summer anyway, to see what i am really at:

Driver: R7, R5, Cally Great Big Bertha, Ignite 460, Titleist 983E, R510 TP

3Wood: R7, Cally Warbird, V-Steel, Ignite T-60, Titty 904F, Sonartec SS-03, SS-3.5

Hybrids: Sonartec TRC, MD, Cobra Baffler, Titty 503

Irons: Taylor 300, Mizuno MP-30, Titty 804, Nike Forged, Titty 690CB.

Wedges: Cleveland 588, Vokeys, Trusty Rusty

Putters: 2-ball, Yes! Tracy, Cammy Red X, Cammy Sante Fe Tei3, Cammy Studio Style, Cammy Studio Stainless, Taylor Rossa, Ping Anser, Bobby Grace M5-GT, Yes! Tracy I and II.

I think that's it!! Lot of clubs and really haven't improve too much, still stuck at 0.7! I see that the problem is i haven't tried much Ping!! GolfTown here i come!!

The great part is, that other than putters, i have never own two of anything, i always trade a driver for a driver, or sell a driver before buying a new one!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Maybe I really am a golfing Ho!!! I really haven't bought much lately but I have every club that I have ever used sitting in 30 gallon drums,(3 drums to be exact) I just always figured that I was a pack rat or maybe I would open up a museum or something, now I think I may need therapy or at least a couple of tables at the next flea market. Anybody interested in a set of titiest accuflow woods??? (just joking, I really can't sell any of this stuff, I really do need therapy!!!! I'm so depressed!!) maybe I just need to go shopping at Dick's sporting goods.

My contribution

I started out with Hogan FXT's, then went to Snake Eyes 600's, then to MacGregor PMB's, then to Mizuno Pro's, Mizuno Pro II's, Hogan Apex plus, MP-33's, MP-14's, Kenneth Smith Blades, Kenneth Smith CB's, Wishon 550C/500M, back to Snake Eyes, Cleveland TA7's, back to KS blades, Snake Eyes, Taylor Made TP's, Raven Undercut. I missed the Kenneth Smith CB's, so now I'm planning to build a new set. Favourite irons are the Kenneth Smith blades and CB's (wish they made a combo set) and the Snake Eyes 600's. Awesome feel...Tommy Armour Forged 845CM

Driver.. Taylormade 320 - Cleveland Launcher 460, KZG Gemini 460, Titleist 975J.

Wedges... Vokey's, Clevelands, Ravens, Maxfli's, Snake Eyes

Putters: Ping MyDay, Scotty Cameron Newport Platinum, Odyssey White Steel 2-ball,Yes Tracy II, comming soon Scotty Cameron Red X
    Last edited by The Saint; 10-22-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    2 Questions:

How do you guys afford this?
    How do you get any consistency? Whenver I change/add clubs, there is always the invariable breaking in period....it takes me quite a while to determine if I like/dislike something. Then again, I may only play once a week....

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    2 Questions:

How do you guys afford this?
    How do you get any consistency? Whenver I change/add clubs, there is always the invariable breaking in period....it takes me quite a while to determine if I like/dislike something. Then again, I may only play once a week....
    I discovered a few years ago that once you accumulate enough good quality equipment you don't need to spend money on golf clubs any more. Lots of trades. I'm on a first name basis at the post office, and when my wife goes to pick up the mail and there's a clubbox there they always tell her that someone appears to have sent her more long-stemmed roses .
    The other thing is that I've gone thru enough clubs that there is virtually no break in period required. I can switch back and forth pretty easy. I know what works with blades, CBs, big headed drivers, small-headed drivers etc., and can switch back and forth and make the appropriate adjustments for the type of clubs I'm playing that day.

This is a great thread BTW. I can remember back a few years ago when I thought OG was basically a non 'ho zone. I really could not do many trades on here because there just were no other true club 'hos on the site.
    Now there are lots of true golf club afficionados on this site. Lots of my GEA brethren have joined and quite a number of Ottawa area folks are now into hoing. There's some nice lists of sticks in this thread.
    But if you really want to see a list of clubs, RGK5's list of every stick he's ever owned is pretty impressive. I've seen it posted on the GEA before.
    Bob, do you want to share your list with OG? Should we advise Dan to reserve more server space?

Thread Information