CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar

Changing putter length?

Just wondering if one can easily convert a putter's length without effecting performance? I find most 35 inch putters too long. I like to see or try one at 34 inches...or maybe shorter at 33 inches. If I buy a 35 inch putter, I would like a local clubmaker to convert it to 33-34 inches without performance issues.

Dave

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Just wondering if one can easily convert a putter's length without effecting performance? I find most 35 inch putters too long. I like to see or try one at 34 inches...or maybe shorter at 33 inches. If I buy a 35 inch putter, I would like a local clubmaker to convert it to 33-34 inches without performance issues.

Dave
    Sorry, but putter length will definately impact performance. Just like any other club in the bag, shortening the shaft will increase accuracy at the expense of distance. If you're OK with that, then by all means saw away.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If you shorten it it will be a bit more upright, I would think you could get away with this bit more on a putter if you are only going from a 35 tp 34/33. You could do this yourself very easily unless you can find a club maker who can flaten the lie angle to original specs once it has been cut. Otherwise, grad a saw and chop it off!

Thanks, guys.

Dave

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    DavidY. Nothing is keeping you from gripping down and see what it feels like. If after a while you seem to putt better then if you still want to do this have someone measure the swingweight then have it cut then add lead tape to bring it back up to its original swingweight. Your best bet would be to go see a competent clubmaker who does putter lie fitting.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Sorry, but putter length will definately impact performance. Just like any other club in the bag, shortening the shaft will increase accuracy at the expense of distance. If you're OK with that, then by all means saw away.

Sorry Terry but I do not agree with you on this one. 80% of distance is generated by loft. Robotic studies have shown that the difference in yardage between a 42 inch driver and a 46 inch driver is only 2 yards. Moreover you may hit the shorter driver even farther because you are more likely to find the sweetspot more often with a shorter club.

You might be interested in the following:

A test was done in San Diego by Golf Laboratories using two Nike 460 drivers. One at 43.5" and one at 45". 8 golfers were used. 4 with handicaps of 10 or less, four 11 or above. Distance went up by 5%. Dispersion went up a whopping 500%!

Please also read the following.

http://www.pga.com/improve/tips/equi...shon080304.cfm

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee

A test was done in San Diego by Golf Laboratories using two Nike 460 drivers. One at 43.5" and one at 45". 8 golfers were used. 4 with handicaps of 10 or less, four 11 or above. Distance went up by 5%. Dispersion went up a whopping 500%!
    Ummm, I was just having some fun - but haven't you just proved my point anyway? After all, distance did go UP - by about 10-15 yards it seems.

Personally, I use a short putter - a 33" Odyssey most of the time and a 32" Golfworks some of the time. Both were originally 34" that I had cut down.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Sorry for bringing this topic back up. Awhile ago, I bought a 34" Rife Guerin 2 Bar Blade putter with adjustable weights (a total of three different weights provided). I have found that I still have to choke down to putt properly (by feel). If I shorten this putter by an inch or two, is it correct that I don't need to adjust the swingweight (it's already adjustable to a certain extent) or just adjust my putting stroke accordingly? Thanks.

Dave

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I'm looking at getting an Oddysey putter at 34". I was considering getting a 35" and cutting it myself as they are pretty common. But you're telling me Oddysey has made different head weights and shafts for each putter length? Just wanted to confirm before I start hacking away.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Guys, don't sweat the whole swingweight deal for a putter.

When it comes to putters TOTAL WEIGHT is much more important. Taking an inch off the shat will reduce the total weight by a miniscule amount.

The reason for changing the length is to get the putter at the right position WRT to your eyes/body. I.e. it move the ball closer to you so your stroke can be more pendulum like.

The thing to worry about when changing length is the lie of the putter. If the lie was correct at the original length you may need to get it adjusted. Of course if it was incorrect originally it may now be correct.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie
    I'm looking at getting an Oddysey putter at 34". I was considering getting a 35" and cutting it myself as they are pretty common. But you're telling me Oddysey has made different head weights and shafts for each putter length? Just wanted to confirm before I start hacking away.
    I was going to do this to an Odyssey putter too and was worried about the after effects. I called up Odyssey customer support to ask them this and they told me they just cut a 35" to 34" or 33" with no adjustment to lie or weight. Thought this was kind of odd cause I know that Scotty Cameron Red X has different putter head weights(10g adjustments) for different length of putters so I thought all putters manufactures did the same. I ended up ordering a 33" putter from Golftown...they found one in their Vancouver Golftown and shipped it to Ottawa...took only a few days.

"Richard"
    I had a 45" putter changed to a 32" putter

works great. You have to remember if it is a mallet putter its going to feel very head heavy (if you are cutting down a belly putter)

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    I got Don Irving (Artisan) to cut my putter down to 34" (from 35") a couple of weeks ago and add weight to maintain a D2 swingweight. I also had him install a harder rubber grip to increase the feedback. I cannot believe the difference that removing 1" can make. I feel so much more confident over the putts even though I am not fully adjusted to the shorter putter. If you are consistently putting poorly and have a 35" putter, I highly recommend you try shortening your putter. If you are a chicken, try gripping your putter an inch lower and see if you like it.

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    Had my Ping cut down to 33" from 35 at Golftown. no problems with swing weight or lie angle. They can bend it for you a degree or 2 if need be. Don't sweat it
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Pitching Wedge clubfixer is on a distinguished road clubfixer's Avatar
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Play it as it lies...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Sorry for bringing this topic back up. Awhile ago, I bought a 34" Rife Guerin 2 Bar Blade putter with adjustable weights (a total of three different weights provided). I have found that I still have to choke down to putt properly (by feel). If I shorten this putter by an inch or two, is it correct that I don't need to adjust the swingweight (it's already adjustable to a certain extent) or just adjust my putting stroke accordingly? Thanks.

Dave

Dave, I have the mallet G-R and if you cut it you can still adjust the lie with your tool and then play with the weights to adjust your putt speed. That is the beauty of that putter, the weight will be a moot point if you re-adjust your lie angle afterward.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Not sure if this is a dumb question, but why don't you guys just buy the putter at the length you want it instead of cutting them?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Not sure if this is a dumb question, but why don't you guys just buy the putter at the length you want it instead of cutting them?
    I built mine to a specific length (34") on purpose and decided that it wasn't right for me after a few rounds so I changed it to 32".

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I built mine to a specific length (34") on purpose and decided that it wasn't right for me after a few rounds so I changed it to 32".

I was speaking in terms of people who buy from a retailer...For example...if you buy a Cameron from GT or your local pro shop, why don't people just bring it back and exchange it for the proper length? That or have a fitting done and buy the proper length right off the bat.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I did not notice any difference when I cut my TM Monza down to 33 from 35 inches. Oh wait, yes I did. MORE PUTTS went in the hole!
    I would bet most amateurs use a putter that is too long for them.
    My YES is 33 1/2" and I usually grip down another 1/2". I am 6'2" and I putt much better with a shorter putter.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I did not notice any difference when I cut my TM Monza down to 33 from 35 inches. Oh wait, yes I did. MORE PUTTS went in the hole!
    I would bet most amateurs use a putter that is too long for them.
    My YES is 33 1/2" and I usually grip down another 1/2". I am 6'2" and I putt much better with a shorter putter.

Agreed. I think the reason for this is the fact most retailers and pro shops carry 35" as their standard length.

My YES Victoria is 34" and my Odyssey White Hot XG #9 is 33".

It's best to get fitted based on your putting stance too. Some people crouch over A LOT like Nicklaus used to do so they would require a shorter putter than they would think.

My point basically is that a putter is weighted for it's length. When you cut it you obviously change the way it's engineered. With the possibility to get fitted, I don't see why anyone would have to ever cut down or lengthen their putters.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Agreed. I think the reason for this is the fact most retailers and pro shops carry 35" as their standard length.

My YES Victoria is 34" and my Odyssey White Hot XG #9 is 33".

It's best to get fitted based on your putting stance too. Some people crouch over A LOT like Nicklaus used to do so they would require a shorter putter than they would think.

My point basically is that a putter is weighted for it's length. When you cut it you obviously change the way it's engineered. With the possibility to get fitted, I don't see why anyone would have to ever cut down or lengthen their putters.
    To be quite honest I did not notice much difference in the weight of the Monza when I cut it. If weight is an issue you can always put some sand or lead powder down the shaft to make it heavier.

My YES Tracy II, now this was interesting. I was at my course one day and one of the members was on the putting green. He was trying out a YES and another putter. His YES was one of the new ones with the weights that you can change. He told me that putter was C9 swingweight when he bought it. Too light he said. He had added 9 grams of weight. He likes his putters to be at D2 swingweight.

Well I tried his, tried mine and what a difference. Mine now has 12 grams of weight added, and I notice I do not decel on short putts anymore. When I regrip this putter I will put the lead powder inside the shaft so I can get rid of the lead tape on the flange.

I realize this is off topic. But it comes down to length of putters and weighting.

OEM's should adjust the weight of a shorter putter. However it would be interesting to take a 33 and 35 inch putter, same make. Put both on the swingweight scale and see if there is any difference.

Weight is easy enough to add if you cut a shaft down. Everyone has a different feel when it comes to weight of a putter. Some like light ones, some like heavier ones. At least you can add weight!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    If I get my putter cut down an inch, is there a way to keep the original grip? Or do I have to cut it off and replace it with a new one.
    Thanks!

Thread Information