CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar

Ferrule questions...

Just wondering if anyone has re-shafted a set of Mizunos and knows a good ferrule replacement. The stock ones should be ok, but if one happens to crack or melt on removal, i'll just re-do the whole set.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I think the inside diameter is 13.8, but don't quote me.

Cheers,

R35

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    Just wondering if anyone has re-shafted a set of Mizunos and knows a good ferrule replacement. The stock ones should be ok, but if one happens to crack or melt on removal, i'll just re-do the whole set. Cheers, R35
    Hi Rockford35

Mizuno irons take a taper tip shaft. Tip diameter is 0.355 inch.
    I just ream them to accept a .370 inch parallel tipped shaft.
    Kind regards, Harry

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ
    Hi Rockford35

Mizuno irons take a taper tip shaft. Tip diameter is 0.355 inch.
    I just ream them to accept a .370 inch parallel tipped shaft.
    How is Duane doing Harry?

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road
    Just wondering if anyone has re-shafted a set of Mizunos and knows a good ferrule replacement. The stock ones should be ok, but if one happens to crack or melt on removal, i'll just re-do the whole set.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I think the inside diameter is 13.8, but don't quote me.

Cheers,

R35
    I see in a past post that you have MP30's. Coincidentally I just reshafted (Rifles) a set of MP30's last night. I used ferrules I got from Golfsmith. The product code is 306 TI. They require a little turning.

Quote Originally Posted by laxgolf
    I see in a past post that you have MP30's. Coincidentally I just reshafted (Rifles) a set of MP30's last night. I used ferrules I got from Golfsmith. The product code is 306 TI. They require a little turning.
    Lax,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been debating whether I should try and salvage the original ferrules with the serial numbers or just go new. The 306TI's was what I had decided on originally, but wanted some second opinions.

Did you use the tapered Rifles or have you bored out your heads?

Thanks,

R35

Seeing as I was a first timer, I used tapered shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by laxgolf
    Seeing as I was a first timer, I used tapered shafts.
    Hmm. Your response rears other questions.

Should one bore out the heads and go .370 off the hop or stick with a set of shafts at .355 that he knows will be great.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm going with Flighted Rifles, splined and pured....just an FYI..

R35

Easy answer. Tapered shafts are made for mass production. Butt trim to length only. In other words what you get is what you get. No room for tweaking. You get whatever frequency the shafts come in. Parallel shafts on the other hand offer you countless possibilities i.e soft stepping,single frequency ,2 cpm slope, 4 cpm slope whatever the clubmaker decides. It is a no brainer to me.

Hmm.

Should one bore out the heads and go .370 off the hop or stick with a set of shafts at .355 that he knows will be great.

R35
    I know from experience that they won't be great. I've seen it too many times i.e frequency all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I know from experience that they won't be great. I've seen it too many times i.e frequency all over the place.

Chief,

Interesting comments.

It's my understanding that the Rifle Flighted series comes frequency matched from 3-PW, even in the tapered series (within 4cpm). Wouldn't that somewhat disagree with what you're saying here?

I'm not questioning your remarks, more questioning my understanding of it all. Wouldn't a spline aligned set of Flighted Rifles be somewhat on par with a set of frequency matched parallel tips?

R35

Providing the head weights go up in 7 grams increments then yes you'll have a frequency matched set of clubs with a 4 cpm difference per club. So yes it would somewhat disagree with what I am saying. Question remains though. Which frequency is right for you to begin with? Wouldn't you be better off with the same frequency across the set. As BC would say why would you have a lady's flex in your long irons.an amateur flex in your mid irons, a regular flex in your short irons and a telephone pole in your wedges. As for spining I simply don't believe in spining steel shafts. Twang them any which way you want in a frequency meter clamp and they will go straight up and down. Different scenario for graphite shafts though. Some of them are real wobblers when not properly oriented. Just ran across one last night as a matter of fact. Food for thought.

Again, thanks for the info, Chief.

Then why am I reading that many Tour pros come back to tapered shafts in their irons? Is that a myth?

(I do have 6gram weights for my Mp-30's for the new shafts....)

Cheers Chief. I apologize for the newbie questions, I'm a work in progress.

R35

How is Duane doing Harry?
    Hi Chieflongtee

Do you know me from another forum? You wouldn't happen to be André would you?

Duane got his handicap to +1 this summer, and set a course record '64' to a club that is 54-years old. He had 30 on the front 9 and missed a 25-yard chip in eagle by 6" which would of been a 29. He is now finishing his last year of university at WLU. He continues to improve each year, so he hasn't hit the block wall yet.

He plays MP-30's in left hand, a set we bought just for the heads. He pulled the X-100 shafts before they ever hit a ball, reamed the hosels, and blueprinted the set to his requirements. He loves them. It's harder to find nice stuff in left hand, but more is being made all the time. A lot more nice stuff in LH then made 5-years ago.

Sorry, I just don't recognize you by the handle. Send me a private email if you will.
    Kind regards, Harry

You guessed right Harry. Is your NF4 on the way?

Again, thanks for the info, Chief.

Then why am I reading that many Tour pros come back to tapered shafts in their irons? Is that a myth?

(I do have 6gram weights for my Mp-30's for the new shafts....)

Cheers Chief. I apologize for the newbie questions, I'm a work in progress.

R35

We're all a work in progress. As for your claim about the tour players I could not answer your question. But then we never get what's on the tour.

You guessed right Harry. Is your NF4 on the way?
    Hi André

I only know 2 people in the Ottawa region, and the other guy is a Ph.D statistician.

I'll probably wait a full year or so before I buy one. I just bought a hydraulic shaft puller for big bucks. Do you have your NF4 built? Are you building these for others? If so, send me a private email with some pictures of your NF4. Take care!
    Kind regards, Harry

It appears we have the exact same setup. I installed Flighted Rifles 6.0's in my MP30's. I weighed the heads individually and they were surprisingly all within the specified weights. I called Mizuno on this and spoke to one of their guys and he told me that Mizuno makes sure that the head weighting is to spec before the shaft is installed. Take that for what it's worth, but mine were dead on or very, very close.

I hit them for the first time this weekend. My first impressions is that my trajectory is higher than before, and it appears that I've gained a full club across the set.

Hmm. Your response rears other questions.

I'm going with Flighted Rifles, splined and pured....just an FYI..

R35

Lax,

When re-shafting, did you reinstall the weights in the shafts that come stock to match original swingweight? Or did you weigh your heads and new shafts and found that they were close to bang on without them?

R35

Since the heads/shafts were so close to spec in weight I didn't bother but will be checking swingweight when I regrip later this winter. That being said, of the 8 shafts that I pulled, only 2 of them had 4 gram plug weights so they weren't all over the board as you can expected from the major OEM's. I've heard horror stories though and found this to seem a little strange. I hit them this past weekend and they felt great. I didn't notice any weighting issues.

FYI: Mizuno ships the MP30's with a D2 swingweight.

I learned a TON about golf clubs just by doing this reshaft myself. You are absolutely going to love the Flighted Rifles in the MP30's. After around 400 range balls, I know I'm sold.

Lax,

When re-shafting, did you reinstall the weights in the shafts that come stock to match original swingweight? Or did you weigh your heads and new shafts and found that they were close to bang on without them?

R35

Sweet.

I had 6 of 8 with weights in them, 3-8iron. But, they were all 4 gram. The Flighted, being lighter shafts by a few grams prompted be to be ready with two sets of weights, just in case.

I've read a few others that have changed their 33's and 30's to Flighted and have loved the results. So it's not surprising hearing your love affair with the same setup.

This is my first full change out. I've put shafts in from new into a driver, but never removed any, especially from a better set like Mizunos. I was tempted to bore out my heads after hearing a few opinions on the board here, but opted against it.

We'll see what happens.

Keep in touch Lax, let me know how the Miz's are treating you!

R35

Lax,
    When re-shafting, did you reinstall the weights in the shafts that come stock to match original swingweight? Or did you weigh your heads and new shafts and found that they were close to bang on without them? R35
    Hi R35

I would never reshaft and use the same weigth that I pulled out of the old shaft. Some shafts can be all over the place in weight and this will change swingweight.
    Its best to dry fit the head and cut shaft, check swingweight, then add the weight accordingly. Then you know you have it spot on mate.
    Kind regards, Harry

Tour,

This was my plan all along. Sorry if it came accross otherwise.

My plan was to have each to within a couple grams of spec, which is why I have the two sets of weights. I did find it strange that the irons from 3-8 had 4 gram weights, and the shorter irons none.

I appreciate the advice tho. Any tips and tricks one learns from others that have gone through this in the past is worth it's weight in gold. Dynamic Gold! (Booo-urns, that was sooo bad )

R35

Thread Information