CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poplar Grove

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Poplar Grove

Thinking of playing PG after work today; anyone have any comments or insights onto the course this time of year? Also if they have 4 9 holes; any recommendations for someone starting out?

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Thinking of playing PG after work today; anyone have any comments or insights onto the course this time of year? Also if they have 4 9 holes; any recommendations for someone starting out?
    Keep an eye open for balls coming from other fairways. You may get a little distracted by the constant yelling of 'fore' as balls land in your fairway.

Haven't played the course in years. The last time I was there the conditions were better than expected. I think the 4 nines are red, white, blue and green. Play the red and white courses if you can. I think the green one is a waste of money. It is more like an executive course if I remember correctly. Not sure about the blue.

Thanks for the tips. I highly doubt there will be alot of people there today at 5PM. (I hope not!) The great thing about bad weather is it's like having your own private course lol.

Rob

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Keep an eye open for balls coming from other fairways. You may get a little distracted by the constant yelling of 'fore' as balls land in your fairway.

That's why I stopped playing that course a few years ago. Felt like I was playing combat golf.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Yeah, you wanna wear your hockey helmet when the place is busy. I have seen people spray the ball 2 fairways over, since a lot of them just run side by side.

IIRC the red is shorter but a little tougher due to layout. White is pretty open and blue also, but blue is longer than the other two. The green executive course is great for practicing your irons, but more trees, thus more leaves (a pain at this time of year).

Thanks for all the answers;

On the topic of Warzone; i felt that way on the executive at Falcon Ridge; I found the layout alittle dangerous and I was uneasy to say the least; most of the TEE's gone wrong could cause serious harm. For instance the 9th at Falcon; if you hook you go right to the 2nd tee off (Which I did w/ lots of people waiting); it was embarassing and dangerous to say the least. Another is on the 8th; if you overshoot the green you'll hit the women's tee on the 2nd.

I dont' think PG will be packed today.

I'm thinking White or Green; I'm getting there at ~5PM and I"d like to get a 1.5 hour 9 hole; therefor I'm not looking for distance basically just want to work on my irons and I'm getting (Just kinda) sick of going to Capital everyday!
    Last edited by dH; 10-11-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I played the Red 9 there a 2 weekends ago. The middle of the fairway was the "Green" for one hole and another "green" was half dirt. And there was tons of leaves on the course. Not impressed at all. Won't be returning there.

Looks like the white it is! I doubt it will be great (given time of year) just Ottawa has so many places I'd like to try them all. Isnt' weather liket his all the time @ the home of golf anyways?

Poplar Grove was good.

I think whoever was talking about it up top was overly critical; the guy at the proshop said the RED was in the best condition so I played it. I think it was a great course; IF lots ofpeople were there than yes it would be a combat zone. YEs 1 green was on the fairway but they were reseeding so it wasen't that big of a deal.

All and all I like PG and I'll most definately go there again for an after work round; got 11 holes in just under 1.5 hours not bad!

Also I didn't loose one ball to leaves thankfully!

Thread Information