CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lost Ball??

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Lost Ball??

We are on the 18th tee at Loch March, my friend drives his ball up the hill to the left into the trees. There are no o/b stakes and it seems fairly open. He is upset with his drive and states he will hit another. Without looking for his first ball he hits his provisional ball. Appproaching my ball, I was closer to the woods and could see his first ball but he went ahead and hit his provisional. He later stated that he declared his first ball lost but that he took his provisional instead with stroke and distance penalty under rule 27 and it seems he was right in not having to look for his first ball before playing his secondball. I am wondering about this as it was clear that a glance at the woods would have revealed his first tee shot.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    He cannot declare his ball lost.
    However, it becomes lost if he makes a stroke at his provisional once it has passed the place at which he believes it finished.
    If you were sure that the ball you could see was his first ball, he is obliged to identify it. If it his, he must play it and his provisional is dead.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    He is upset with his drive and states he will hit another.
    Stating that "he will hit another" does not satisfy the requirement of announcing a provisional ball.

Unless he specifically used the words "provisional ball", the second ball played from the teeing ground is the ball in play and the original ball is lost under Rule 27-1.

Nevertheless, a player is not required to look for a lost ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks Gents.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    Nevertheless, a player is not required to look for a lost ball.
    Sorry Gary, it is not clear to me totally. If "someone else" finds the ball and tells the player, is the player required to play it, or even identify it?

If the ball is 'found' the player is obliged to inspect it. If it is his he must play it.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    If the ball is 'found' the player is obliged to inspect it. If it is his he must play it.
    If the player did not announce a provisional ball, as per Gary's post above, the identification of the "found" ball is irrelevent. It is also irrelevent if the player has played his provisional past the "found" ball. The player can say "Yep, that was my ball" and put it in his pocket as the second ball has become the ball in play under both scenarios.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    If the player did not announce a provisional ball, as per Gary's post above, the identification of the "found" ball is irrelevent. It is also irrelevent if the player has played his provisional past the "found" ball. The player can say "Yep, that was my ball" and put it in his pocket as the second ball has become the ball in play under both scenarios.
    Indeed. Gary made that clear above. However, I was just clearing up the supplementary question

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    Indeed. Gary made that clear above. However, I was just clearing up the supplementary question
    In your answer you said he must play it. I was just pointing out that it might not be 'must'.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information