CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar

Ban cellphones in vehicles

How many injuries or deaths are going to occur before the use of cellphones behind the wheel of any vehicle is banned? Just got cut off by a wonderful driver, obviously quite involved in his phone conversation. It wasn't so much that he pulled out in front of me, this has happened many times before, the thing that pissed me off is that he must have forgot where his gas pedal was located, I was lucky to come to a screeching hault millimeters before rear ending him. I don't even think he knew I was there, as soon as the tires started wailing he looked in the rear view mirror and tromped on the gas. What will it take to end this garbage? When you're behind the wheel of a vehicle, there is nothing more important than paying 100% full attention to the task at hand, driving! I fail to see how this is lost on a large segment of the population. You want to talk on your phone, read the paper, apply makeup or shave etc, either do it before you leave or pull the hell over. This isn't rocket science. Are there any other people out there that would agree with me or am I among the minority here?
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I agree. And while we're at it, let's ban smoking in the vehicle, listening to the radio, DVD players for the kids... and even kids - they are the biggest distraction on the road.
    It's not the phones, it's the idiots who use them improperly and don't focus.

As a step towards a solution, perhaps driver education classes could spend more time emphasizing the importance of staying alert while behind the wheel.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Now you are definitely on to something.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    There is no proper way to use a cell phone while you're driving, unless you're pulled over with your 4-ways on, or parked.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    I agree 100%. I also feel drivers in minivans should require another licence to operate them. 90% of them don't know how to use their side view mirrors properly and there are too many blind spots.

Maybe car companies could equip their larger vehicles with the rear view mirrors used for towing, the ones that are placed over or near the front wheel wells. They would help limit the size of the blind spots.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I agree with Reid's first point. The last thing we should be doing as a society is gearing our infrastructure towards idiots. Increase the penalties for accidents when the person is on the phone, maybe in line with DUI penalties, as I can say for certain that I'm more alert when I'm drunk then when I'm on the phone...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Agreed.....actually saw Mythbusters do a segment on this and they found that you were just as bad talking on a phone as you were driving drunk!
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I do not agree banning cell phones in cars. For years I had amateur radios in my vehicles and not once did I have an accident while talking on one. The radios were a lot more complex to use than cell phone.

People need to learn how to drive.........period. The other day I was getting ready to pull out of a Tim Hortons, there is a stop light 75 left of the entrance I was exiting. I looked, the light was RED, no cars coming around the other corner. So I started to pull out and here comes a lady who drives right through that RED LIGHT. It is not like it just turned red either, it was red for at least 20 seconds before she got to it. She was not talking on a cell phone, she was just not paying attention or just didn;t give a S#@T

In general drivers just need to slow down, or leave for their destinations 10 minutes eariler. Pay attention to what is going on around them.

To ban cell phones in cars because they cause accidents? You might as well ban the cars too. It is like saying "GUNS KILL", guns do not kill, it is the idiot pulling the trigger on the gun that is causing someone to die.

What I do agree on would be mandatory hands free cell phones if being used in a vehicle.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    If they ever ban cell phones in cars, they better ban smoking too. How many times have you seen some nicotine freak swurving trying to get their smoke lit?

Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    If they ever ban cell phones in cars, they better ban smoking too. How many times have you seen some nicotine freak swurving trying to get their smoke lit?
    I assure you that there are just as many stupid non-smokers or non "nicotine freak" people out there on the road... Quite frankly, it's not even in the same ball park.

Dan

What about driving school for EVERYONE once a year in order to renew your licence.
    PinShark

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I'm 19, so I've recently gone through the process of getting my full license. I do consider myself a very good driver, but the testing is ridiculously easy. My friends have their licenses, and their driving scares me. It's not that they drive "like reckless teenage boys with too much testosterone" as many might think. They're just bad drivers. Is it their fault? No...they've passed the tests, so they're convinced they know how to drive The trouble is, the tests are not designed to prove driving ability, they're simply designed to prove that the government is "regulating" drivers. Anyone with two eyes, two arms, and a foot can get their license (eyes are optionl now that i think of it)

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark
    What about driving school for EVERYONE once a year in order to renew your licence.
    HUH? Why not just hand your hard earned money over to the Government? I pay $76 for a tag, I pay for the damn useless E Test. And you think I should go to driving school when I have been accident free after 34 years of driving?

How about this, people pay more attention when they drive, people leave for work, or wherever they are going so they can be there on time while driving safely. People get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking they are the only ones on the road. People stop scarving down hamburgers, etc while driving. Women stop putting makeup on while driving. In general People just need to be better drivers and sucking money out of them once a year for driving school is not going to make them any better. How many teens take Drivers Ed and pass then get into accidents later? Many I would tend to think.

You go to driving school. I will keep my money and keep driving the way I have been, accident free.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    I agree. And while we're at it, let's ban smoking in the vehicle, listening to the radio, DVD players for the kids... and even kids - they are the biggest distraction on the road.

That is 100% right. You can't ban something when most people can manage to do without problem, it's the select few that have problems.

I think that there should be stiffer penalties for people who get into accidents driving recklessly. I've seen too many people who get into reckless accidents only have to end up paying more for insurance, nothing else. The government is always fond of saying that driving is a privelage. Why don't they take these people's liscences for a month? Make them realize how much they need to drive.
    I change equipment too much to even bother to write down what I use

Well maybe since I can control myself from killing someone there should be no penalty for doing so.....as a matter of fact maybe they should get rid of all crimes. I know, that is crazy right? Well since we live in a society where people need to be told what they can and cannot do usually because a few people make dumb decisions we all pay for it. I am not saying everyone needs driving school all the time Its just that we live in a society where if a few need it then all have to do it. The same as the E test most cars pass with flying colours but its to get rid of the cars that wont pass that a FEW people will not take of the road. Also I dont think a driving test every year would help but an actual school couldnt hurt to refresh everyone on how important staying focused behind the wheel is.
    PinShark

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    You contradict yourself. How do you talk on the phone and stay focused on the road at the same time? Enlighten me...

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    em69 - I take it your joking.... It's really not hard to focus on the road and keep a mundane conversation in the back. If someone can't do that than god help them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    em69 - I take it your joking.... It's really not hard to focus on the road and keep a mundane conversation in the back. If someone can't do that than god help them.
    actually, lots can't do it. I see it everyday....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    actually, lots can't do it. I see it everyday....
    I'll second that comment
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hence god help them.

Bottom line is if someone isn't a good driver; they are not a good driver. Lets not go blaming cell phones for careless people making stupid decisions on the road.
    Last edited by dH; 10-31-2005 at 04:32 PM.

God help the rest of us who have to share the roads with them.
    PinShark

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark
    God help the rest of us who have to share the roads with them.
    Seriously!
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quite frankly, a cause of accidents may just be that we're all so pre-occupied with checking if anyone on the road is on their cellphone! From the sounds of this thread, a lot of you are paying attention to things other than the road in front of you...

Dan

Agreed Dan! Let's not forget that we never make mistakes either it's always "those other people".

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    I take it your joking.

Do you dial the phone without looking at the keypad?
    Do you answer without having to search for your phone?
    Do you answer your phone without looking at the call display?

Tell me, what is so important with your phone call that you must keep driving, instead of pulling over for a few minutes. If it is not life threatening, then it is not important enough.

Dan,
    I only notice others on their cell phone because they have done something so stupid. It happens all the time. I don't go looking for it.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by em69

Do you dial the phone without looking at the keypad? Yes, I can
    Do you answer without having to search for your phone? Yes
    Do you answer your phone without looking at the call display?
    most of the time
    My phone is clipped on the visor, grabbing it is less distracting than changing the radio station, i sometimes glance at the number, no different than looking at the clock, your speed or how much gas you have left. And I can dial without looking. There is a reason that the number "5" on every phone has some sort of different texture, either a bump, or recessed, or something distinguishing it. that way you can dial without looking.

3 questions for you:
    Do you talk to passengers in your car?
    Do you change the radio station?
    Do you ever drink a coffee?

All of these are just as likely to distract you while driving. takes your eyes off the road or remoives your full concentration. The fact of the matter is that people can finally attribute some accidents to a specific activity. Do you think many people will admit that they were fiddling with the radio station or engaged in a discussion with their passenger..no, they say "he came out of nowhere" meaning they weren't paying attention. Because another driver sees a handset held to their ear, they can now blame a specific activity.

Also, whether or not you have been in a collision says nothing of your driving ability. Maybe you are a great dirver...or maybe you've caused 3 or 4 accidents that you arent aware of.

Andru
    no way cell phones don't cause accidents. People using cell phones while driving causes accidents.

Em69 - g8r just summed it up perfectly and I see no reason to expand... this "debate" is pointless and the only fuel it has is one man's opinion which is a shortsighted one. Just because you can't possibly comprehend how people do it only makes it more obvious that you fall into the category of people that shouldn't have one.

Thread Information