100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    3 Iron fmanning is on a distinguished road fmanning's Avatar

Chuck Brown Golf - Closing (BC & OE)

Just got a call to inform me that Chuck Brown's will be closing the Orleans & Bell's Corners locations, permanently. All merchandise will be priced to clear - sale begins Saturday, 9am sharp. I believe the final axe will fall in december...and the doors will be shut for good.

This is not a rumour....it is 100% fact.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Well, if it's true I am very sorry to hear it. Love the BC store in particular. I've done tons of business with Chuck's over the years and have always been happy.

8 Iron Pops is on a distinguished road Pops's Avatar

Chuck's Closing

Tis a sad day...Truly!
    I bought my first Name brand Irons from Chuck's at BC, sad to see them close ..I guess they're just a victim of the big box stores. Whats going to happen when all the small ones are gone??
    "The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing." Dave Hill

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I hope this is not true as I have shopped at Chuck's in Bells Corners frequently. But if it is true, I hate to say I told you so in 2004...

01-20-2004, 02:41 PM #11
    powerlefty
    Caddy

I live in Kanata. I have been to a Golftown in Vancouver. I frequent the Chuck Brown's in Bells Corners.

If the Golftown store in Kanata is anything like the one in Vancouver (probably a certainty since they operate on a specified formula for store size, etc) I predict they will destroy the Chuck Brown's in Bells Corners. You can also add to the expected list of casualties the other golf store in Bells Corners (Bob's) and the golf discount store on Merivale Road. The catchment area for the Kanata Golftown as a minimum will be all of Nepean, Kanata and areas west of Kanata.

The store will be to big and carry far to great a selection for the others to compete.

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Well they have always been a great store to do business with, i speak for the bells corners location, as i've never been to the orleans store.

i've done tons of business with them over the last several years and i'ts going to be sad to see them go.

'tis indeed true...

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fmanning
    Just got a call to inform me that Chuck Brown's will be closing the Orleans & Bell's Corners locations, permanently. All merchandise will be priced to clear - sale begins Saturday, 9am sharp. I believe the final axe will fall in december...and the doors will be shut for good.

This is not a rumour....it is 100% fact.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you receive a call about it?

because I work there

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Huge ad in the Citizen today. MIght be a good place to look for some "deals". Closed Friday to prepare for Saturday(9am). I guess it's official then, CB will still have a store on Somerset.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops
    Tis a sad day...Truly!
    I bought my first Name brand Irons from Chuck's at BC, sad to see them close ..I guess they're just a victim of the big box stores. Whats going to happen when all the small ones are gone??
    That and ebay. Truly sad news.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I still think the used clyb business is what screwed them. Hard to make money unless you have a very fast turn around, take in clubs at $500 bucks then they drop in retail price for almost the same. How can you make up the difference?

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    That's a shame, that's too bad for their employees including FManning I thought Chuck Brown's in Orleans could survive especially with their awesome practice facility and the new executive golf course being constructed.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

I think though at the orleans store, that none of that stuff belongs to them. they just rent the building to sell stuff in.

Quote Originally Posted by wopstergolf
    I think though at the orleans store, that none of that stuff belongs to them. they just rent the building to sell stuff in.
    Such is the case at Bell's Corners. We just rented the space from the strip mall...

I'm not OVERLY devastated...I mean, thankfully it's not my only job. It was, at one point, but I decided to hang onto it because it was a fun way to change up the routine a little bit. If I really wanted to find another p/t golf job I'm sure I could head over to golftown & apply, I just don't know how accommodating they would be to my schedule.

I'm not overly shocked though. Most people will likely blame it on Golf Town. I, however, would give some other factors a little more weighting.

I haven't had a chance to check out the newspaper yet, any good deals there? I'm guessing that the used stuff will be put up pretty cheap.
    I change equipment too much to even bother to write down what I use

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops
    Tis a sad day...Truly!
    I still have a beautiful persimmon driver that Chuck Brown actually filed, sanded and finished for me himself.

Looks like GT is achieving one of its goals and that is to put everyone else out of business, I am sure that were ways that CB's could have remained competitive, with proper management. It is sad news, but, I suppose that it is the consumers who chose to buy at GT, who ultimately have caused the demise of Chuck's.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I still have a beautiful persimmon driver that Chuck Brown actually filed, sanded and finished for me himself.

Looks like GT is achieving one of its goals and that is to put everyone else out of business, I am sure that were ways that CB's could have remained competitive, with proper management. It is sad news, but, I suppose that it is the consumers who chose to buy at GT, who ultimately have caused the demise of Chuck's.
    I agree with BC Mist.

I have dealt with CB's exclusively and gave them alot of business. I liked the staff and was greeted by name. I could talk to the staff and learn not just about the equipment but I got to know about their personal lives and who they were as people.

This is very sad.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Such is the case at Bell's Corners. We just rented the space from the strip mall...

I'm not OVERLY devastated...I mean, thankfully it's not my only job. It was, at one point, but I decided to hang onto it because it was a fun way to change up the routine a little bit. If I really wanted to find another p/t golf job I'm sure I could head over to golftown & apply, I just don't know how accommodating they would be to my schedule.

I'm not overly shocked though. Most people will likely blame it on Golf Town. I, however, would give some other factors a little more weighting.
    What other factors?? I have purchased all my irons from CBs in Orleans for the past 5 years. Sometimes 2 sets a year, recognized by name and think Rick was doing a good job. Sad to see them closing.

Maybe Golftown will open an outlet there or somewhere else in the east end???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    What other factors??
    I'm not really at liberty to discuss anything specific. All I will say is that I didn't feel the captain was sailing the ship as well as it could be sailed. There are smaller golf stores that have survived golf town's wrath in other cities. Chuck's would have had a chance, if it was given one.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wopstergolf
    I haven't had a chance to check out the newspaper yet, any good deals there? I'm guessing that the used stuff will be put up pretty cheap.
    Ditto.

Also, I looked up the cb website and couldn't find directions or address of the location in orleans.

If a golf equipment junkie were to take a trip into Ottawa from Western Quebec Saturday morning, which store should he go to, and what could he expect to find?

http://www.chuckbrowngolf.com/e/storelocations.html

bottom of the page = orleans location

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Thanks. I had Gloucester and Orleans mixed up, didn't realize they were the same place.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    Maybe Golftown will open an outlet there or somewhere else in the east end???
    St. Laurent Blvd corridor. 2007. Any takers?

"All I will say is that I didn't feel the captain was sailing the ship as well as it could be sailed."

Would the consolidation of the 3 stores into one large east end outlet, have saved their bacon?

93LE
    I think the number one reason is price, both on the new stuff, and especially on the used stuff. I've spent more than $3,000 in golf equipment this past year and I can tell you that I spent less than $50 at CB

And it's not for a lack of trying to. Their new stuff is usually the most expensive of the 3 main stores. And their used prices are consistently within 80 - 90% of new prices at other places, I'm going elsewear for used. I'm not stupid, I'm not going to spend more than I have to for anything: golf equipment or anything else

People go on about the Service at CB, and I agree that it is great, but I get just as good service from GT or NB. So bottom line I buy from whereever gives me the best price

And unfortunately, their "clearance prices" are more of the same. I priced out a set of 2004 TM RAC, the reg price was $1,000 at CB, but their going out of business price was $800. They have been selling for $700 at T&L for the past 2 months. Another example is Callaway and Cleveland wedges for $99 at T&L. They are on "clearance" at CB for $110 = $120

The death of a competitor is never a good thing, but I would be surprised if anyone was shocked by the news. As other posters have said, this has been a long time coming.

[QUOTE=93LE]
    And unfortunately, their "clearance prices" are more of the same. I priced out a set of 2004 TM RAC, the reg price was $1,000 at CB, but their going out of business price was $800. They have been selling for $700 at T&L for the past 2 months. Another example is Callaway and Cleveland wedges for $99 at T&L. They are on "clearance" at CB for $110 = $120
    QUOTE]

I have to completely agree with this. Their pricing isn't that great most of the time. They have a set of 731pm's by titleist. Still selling them for $1050 or $1150...don't remember the exact number. The point is, the irons came out late 2002 and they stopped producing them a year ago. You'd think just to clear them out they'd drop the price.

Maybe i'll just give one more occurence because it just came to me, this past winter GT was selling the Nike Pro Combos for $650. They didn't have anymore LH, but they did have a set at CB. They wouldn't match the price. And then 2 days later they were down at CB to $650.

It's just some of the little things that are annoying. Until this year, I never found the service at CB to be good at all...but maybe that's just me.
    I change equipment too much to even bother to write down what I use

Andru
    Guys it had nothing to do with the pricing or the service. It was 1) the selection and 2) the intangibles of GT. It's a super store. It's impressive. I go there to buy golf balls and leave with tees, a glove, maybe a shirt.

Anything you see or hear about in golf is there. If you see a new training on TGC. it's at GT within a few weeks. Admit it. You've passed by the medicus or the speedstik or the swingsetter and tried it out. You usually realize it's going to do nothing for your game. It's great to actually see it though.

I met Chuck Brown once, he's a tremendous guy and I'm truly imnpressed with his drive and effort to succeed. He's given more to Ottawa than most. He's retired though so he's just fine.

Businesses close all the time new ones open. If there's an entrpreneur out there look at Nevada Bobs. They could use another store in the city.

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    You talked to the wrong person, because they will definately price match. That is one good thing about them and it made it easy to remain a customer of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    You talked to the wrong person, because they will definately price match. That is one good thing about them and it made it easy to remain a customer of theirs.
    I was just going to say...obviously some of these people have never heard of the term "price match" before.

And it's people like that, who would rather support a corporate giant than a locally owned & operated store, that are turning this society of ours into one giant big-box mall.

93LE
    And it's people like that, who would rather support a corporate giant than a locally owned & operated store, that are turning this society of ours into one giant big-box mall.
    That may be the case, but box stores still pay municipal taxes, hire locally and contribute to the community through sponsorships, donations...etc. I would support a small mom and pop store if the price difference was 5%, but when it's closer to 20-30%, no way!

Quote Originally Posted by 93LE
    That may be the case, but box stores still pay municipal taxes, hire locally and contribute to the community through sponsorships, donations...etc. I would support a small mom and pop store if the price difference was 5%, but when it's closer to 20-30%, no way!
    I will say it one more time

PRICE

MATCH

And I don't care if they pay local taxes or any of that jazz. In the end, all you're doing is putting gas in the CEO's BMW. What good does that do?

Thread Information