100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Prices

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Shipping Prices

This is going to be a bit of a vent, just to warn you in the beginning!

For all of us who buy clubs via Ebay and have them shipped or if you are new to this here is some info:

Shipping clubs thru Canada Post will be around $20 bucks. They charge $7.50 just because of the size of the box, then add shipping charges and insurance. Purolator can be as much as $40 bucks for the same item. Just FYI!

Why the rant? I just sold a shaft on Ebay and the buyer was questioning the shipping cost explaining to me that it should only cost a couple bucks to ship the item. This is very annoying as a seller, since it makes you feel as if you are being accused of cheating someone. Even when you explain the costs in detail, some people seem to think that they should not have to pay what it costs to ship stuff. If you use Ebay for clubs, find out the cost before the end of the auction and when you get the cost use common sense and realize that it doesn't cost a nickel anymore to send things around the country. Most of us small sellers who are selling there own stuff lose money using Ebay because of Ebay costs and Paypal costs which have gone up a lot since Ebay is so big now. Just remeber this kind of stuff when you are buying stuff online.
    Thanks

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    So true. That's why this forum is such a good resource for buying & selling used clubs.

It is true that this forum is a good place to sell, but there some really cheap people on here (no offense to anyone) that expect you to sell good stuff for nothing. While I admit I like a good deal as well sometimes you get offers for stuff that is way out to lunch or people seem to wait to see if you will drop your price so low that they can smell the desperation!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    It is true that this forum is a good place to sell, but there some really cheap people on here (no offense to anyone) that expect you to sell good stuff for nothing. While I admit I like a good deal as well sometimes you get offers for stuff that is way out to lunch or people seem to wait to see if you will drop your price so low that they can smell the desperation!
    I've got news for you. I've belonged to just about every golf club swap shop on the internet for the past decade and they are all the same. In fact there are a number of threads right now on Golf Equipment Afficionados about folks who give lowball offers. Just a fact of life unfortunately. People who are looking for used stuff always want a deal.

jhazelton

Set shipping prices in the auction

The easiest way to avoid any dispute within Ebay is to set your shipping prices clearly within the auction itself. Your description can include details of costs within Ontario, within Canada, with N. America, etc. Add your costs (listing, Paypal, etc.) to the actual postage and insurance and come up with a fixed shipping and handling charge. Any bidders that win the auction swill have no recourse but to pay your advertised shipping costs.

You may alienate some bidders that feel your costs are too high, but it is far better than having to argue with someone that has already won the auction.

jhazelton

Feel his pain

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    I've got news for you. I've belonged to just about every golf club swap shop on the internet for the past decade and they are all the same. In fact there are a number of threads right now on Golf Equipment Afficionados about folks who give lowball offers. Just a fact of life unfortunately. People who are looking for used stuff always want a deal.
    But, there is a big difference between wanting a deal and general lunacy.

I am never upset to receive offers, but I would like them to be somewhat fair and reasonable. When they don't even amount to a starting point in a negotiation, that is when frustration sets in.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I always ship UPS to the USA. Today i shipped a club and it costs $22 and should get there in 4-6 days.

I usually give my postal code and a link to the canadapost website so that people can do there own quotes. I never had a problem until now. Live and learn I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jhazelton
    But, there is a big difference between wanting a deal and general lunacy.

I am never upset to receive offers, but I would like them to be somewhat fair and reasonable. When they don't even amount to a starting point in a negotiation, that is when frustration sets in.
    Hey Jason, I hear you... Like I said, I've been buying clubs off the net for almost a decade. Lots of tire kickers out there and people looking to 'steal' your sticks. After about 5 years you get used to it .On OG actually, I find it not so bad because most of the people are local and can meet up.
    Kind of a two-way street as well. Some of the prices asked are ridiculous. Unfortunately a 2-year old $800 driver is really only worth about 100 bucks.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Denny. I shipped a club to Quebec city 2 weeks ago(Full box) using the bus. $12 total including $100 insurance. Left the club at the bus terminal and the club made it to destination late afternoon.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    This is going to be a bit of a vent
    venting on this forum will knock two strokes off your game

Shipping clubs thru Canada Post will be around $20 bucks. They charge $7.50 just because of the size of the box, then add shipping charges and insurance. Purolator can be as much as $40 bucks for the same item.

Why the rant? I just sold a shaft on Ebay and the buyer was questioning the shipping cost explaining to me that it should only cost a couple bucks to ship the item.
    First off the boner, uh...I mean buyer who is claiming you can ship a shaft for a couple of bucks isn't even close to having a clue. You should have told him to pay you for the shaft and shipped it with the freight charges collect via his "couple a bucks" company.
    Remember as well that when we pay shipping charges we are essentially subsidizing the guy who lives in Iqualuit and would pay the same charges to have an item shipped across country that we would to have it shipped across the city.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Remember as well that when we pay shipping charges we are essentially subsidizing the guy who lives in Iqualuit and would pay the same charges to have an item shipped across country that we would to have it shipped across the city.
    No we are not. All parcels are rated by weight AND destination.

It is only Lettermail where we pay the same price regardless of destination. Once your item exceeds the maximum size/weight for letters (which is the case for almost anything golf-related), the guy in Iqaluit pays considerably more.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    If he wants it shipped for a couple $$, offer to cut it into a dozen small pieces...then it'll fit in a smaller box p.s. did the person refuse payment on the shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre

It is only Lettermail where we pay the same price regardless of destination. Once your item exceeds the maximum size/weight for letters (which is the case for almost anything golf-related), the guy in Iqaluit pays considerably more.

Actually,
    They don't go by weight and destination. They go by cubic measurement, which then gives them a certain weight for a package of that size if you are under there limit your gravy if its over the weight limit for that cubic measurement then you pay extra. Like I said before they get you for $7.50 just for the length of the box. Example....the shaft only weighs 78grams, with packaging maybe 500 grams. With the cubic deminsions of the box it sits at 3 kg. thats what I get charges with 3 kg which is around $9 + $7.50 oversize fee + tax, it adds up quick!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Parcels, as dbler pointed out, are either based on weight or cubic weight which ever is more. NOT destination.

In addition, if you are to buy from a mail order company - e.g. Lee Valley Tools, L.L. Bean etc. - shipping within the country is a single price. I realize eBay is different, but it's the same with any mail order merchant. So yes, we are subsidizing the guy who lives Iqualuit.

Parcels, as dbler pointed out, are either based on weight or cubic weight which ever is more. NOT destination.

In addition, if you are to buy from a mail order company - e.g. Lee Valley Tools, L.L. Bean etc. - shipping within the country is a single price. I realize eBay is different, but it's the same with any mail order merchant. So yes, we are subsidizing the guy who lives Iqualuit.
    Sorry, but I know exactly what I am talking about. I ran the merchandise catalogue division for one of the largest magazines in the country.

Canada Post charges extra for "oversize" items. So does UPS and most courier companies. But that is in addition to regular parcel rates, which are based on weight and DESTINATION. See the link here:

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/of...an/rates-e.asp

Here is a direct quote from the Canada Post website: Rates are based on the origin, destination and weight of your parcel.

Catalogue companies can charge for shipping any way they want to. If Lee Valley wishes to charge one price for the entire country to make their order forms easier for their customers, then that is their perogative. Canada Post will certainly charge them more to ship to Iqaluit than to Ottawa.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I hate to break it to you but El Tigre is right.

Sorry, but I know exactly what I am talking about. I ran the merchandise catalogue division for one of the largest magazines in the country..
    Really? Which magazine would that be? They must have gotten soaked on shipping charges & gone out of business.
    I work in the transportation/logistcis business, have for 15 years, and I can assure you that you ARE subsidizing others.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    "Sorry, but I know exactly what I am talking about. I ran the merchandise catalogue division for one of the largest magazines in the country."

Ziiiiinnnng, the score is now El Tigre 1, Shivas Irons 0.

[quote=John]"Sorry, but I know exactly what I am talking about. I ran the merchandise catalogue division for one of the largest magazines in the country."

[quote]

So both you and elTigre ran the merchandise division for one of the largest magazines in the country? Right.

And Reid - you're now an expert on freight forwarding? That's handy to know, but none of you understand how freight charges are calculated or charged.

Shivas you got told twice so ease up brother. Your the kind of guy who can't stand being wrong even when you know you are! Just to let you know i was quoting El Tigre and commenting on how you were incorrect. Still El Tigre 1 Shivas Irons 0.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I know when I send a parcel via canada post at my local post office there is a colourful map of canada & the US right on the counter with seveal different rates the further I send something.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Just to let you know i was quoting El Tigre
    Thanks, but I'm pretty sure everyone understood what elTigre wrote the first time.

For your beneift I'll try to make this simple:

Customer cost to ship package to Timbuktu = $25
    Freight company actual cost to ship package to Timbuktu = $27

Customer cost to ship package to Ottawa = $7.50
    Freight company actual cost to ship package to Ottawa = $3.88

Get it? Freight companies take a hit on some packages, and make more money on others. Pretty simple.

Thanks for the shipping lesson but i still think your wrong, we're both entitled to our opinions though!

I don't care who you work for your wrong! I just got back from shipping an item thru Canada Post and they don't base the costs on the weight of the parcel itself. They base it soley on the deminsions of the box and the destination to where it is going. You item can weigh 1 gram, but if it is the box gives the cubic measurement for 3 kg, thats what you get charged with. The actual weight of the package doesn't really matter unless it is over the cubic measurement weight, then you get dinged with another heavy item charged. Shipping stuff thru a business is much different then Joe Blow going to the Post Office. By no means does it make someone an "expert" to have worked in a shipping department for a company who more then likely use couriers rather than Canada Post.

Really? Which magazine would that be? They must have gotten soaked on shipping charges & gone out of business.
    I work in the transportation/logistcis business, have for 15 years, and I can assure you that you ARE subsidizing others.
    Canadian Geographic. The magazine and their catalogue division are still going strong.

The freight company's cost/profit ratio for shipping to various destinations is irrelevant to this discussion. Your original statement was:
    I think have proved beyond any reasonable doubt that this statement is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Thanks for the shipping lesson but i still think your wrong, we're both entitled to our opinions though!
    ...ya okay.
    Interesting that you were good enough to tell me in your last post "what type of guy" I am, even though you don't know me, and now that I've explained shipping charges in detail you drag out the "we're entitled to our opinions" line. Think what you wish, but you are incorrect.

So here just for you John:
    Ziiiiiiinnng, the score is now Shivas 5 - everyone who doesn't have a clue 0
    Game over, thanks for playing everyone, better luck next time.

Shivas i've seen you post in many threads on this board and i know exactly what kind of guy you are. You've been told that your wrong and you are, just suck it up and take it in man, it's okay, really it's okay. Good luck with your shipping.

Canadian Geographic. The magazine and their catalogue division are still going strong.

The freight company's cost/profit ratio for shipping to various destinations is irrelevant to this discussion. Your original statement was: I think have proved beyond any reasonable doubt that this statement is incorrect.
    Working for Canadian Geographic hardly makes you an expert in freight forwarding.
    The company's cost has EVERYTHING to do with the discussion because neither party is paying the REAL costs for shipping, therefore someone is getting subsidized. You can deny that all you want but it is a fact.

As well, dbler is providing an account of his expirience and you are contradicting what he is saying. So, either dbler is making his story up or you are wrong.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I find it funny you guys are arguing about different things. Denny was trying to explain what shipping costs to joe shmoe selling privately to a buyer. Companies shipping costs are going to be different based on the volume they do. To me there is no comparison. If Lee Valley offers one shipping rate perhaps it is because of the volume they do makes it cheaper for them. But I'm sure Denny is not shipping hundreds and hundreds of clubs and shafts so shipping in general will cost him more. I think that was the point he was trying to make in the first place. Some people just don't understand shipping costs regardless of size or shape or weight.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information