CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Swing Speed

Gap Wedge dlaville is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfCOACH
    So if there's a plane shift then how can there be a 1 plane swing? Doesn't the term 'shift' kill that theory?
    Yes but lets see if I can get us on the same page. With a one plane swing there is no shift. Most people set up with the shaft going through their belt buckle (shaft plane) but half way back they shift to a plane that goes through their right shoulder. This was the plane shift I was talking about.

Dlaville, I give you credit for going through the program (not a posted AI?) but I've found it difficult explaining this to players. You don't explain it to your students like that, do you?
    I am listed on TGM web site (look under Louisiana) and no I don't explain it to my students like this. In fact I don't have students because I don't teach. When I do help people I use easy to understand explanations and terms. The reason I'm a little more technical in golf forums is because people get their info about TGM from the book and are more familair with the terms.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.
    The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

Gap Wedge GolfOttawa is on a distinguished road
    BC Mist

What do all the letters after your signature mean (BC MIST I.D.M.H or I.N.A.D.A.Y.T.I.A).

Quote Originally Posted by golfCOACH
    Oops.. my bad.... an AI way down south in Louisiana.
    Yep and I was a victim of hurricane Katrina. My house was flooded and I'm rebuilding it. Explains why I'm not on golf forums very much.

What does the "non-teaching" mean?
    I don't teach, I'm an amateur golfer and play in amateur tournamants. There is a possiblity I may start teaching professionally by the end of the year.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfOttawa
    What do all the letters after your signature mean (BC MIST I.D.M.H or I.N.A.D.A.Y.T.I.A).
    I am poking fun at those NON-BELIEVERS who pooh pooh science/geometry as it relates swinging the golf club on the correct path. I respect their right to believe all the perception and feeling BS you see on the Golf Channel and in most instructional books/magazines, however, I still don't appreciate the "shots" from those who still beileve that 1+1=3, or that the earth is flat. To them I would suggest that a little solid research goes a long way in helping them see the light. If they ever did this, they would be amazed at how much their golf games could improve, and that is what it is all about. Knowing what to do how to get better.

They never acknowledge their mistakes, but perhaps if they look closely at the acronym, they may get what I am saying.

Gap Wedge GolfOttawa is on a distinguished road
    I see, The funny thing about acknowledging a mistake is that you are not admitting that you were wrong, mayby just misinformed or gullable, but by listening to all sources you are opening yourself up to learn new things faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw
    dave, if it will make you feel better, i do believe 1+1=2
    That's because you're a smart guy!
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    This would then mean that the golfer is in a SINGLE AXIS address position. What a novel idea!!! If the golfer gets into the position where "their shaft is much lower at address than it is at impact," then the angle formed by the right forearm and the club shaft is OBTUSE, but at impact the angle has to be STRAIGHT(180*). On the downswing the whole upper body must backup to achieve this straight angle position. Therein lies one of the weaknesses of traditional setup position.
    The reasonTGM uses it is because it allows the right forearm and clubshaft to trace the same lines.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw
    so one should turn machine left of target for a AH swingers swing? keerect?
    but should one turn machine right of targetline for a HH swingers swing? see, ive heard and theoratically have learned that any hinge gives straightaway ball flight with correct impact, that it should theoratically make trajectory differences, but then you see Tomasello speaking of distance vs shot shape and direction, whats your view?
    Angled hinging gives a slice producing motion so you compensate by closing the blade the longer the shot. By turning the machine all you're doing is rotating the plane left or right and remember the plane is clubshaft control. You control the clubface by rotating the grip in your left hand or left wrist motion.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfOttawa
    I see, The funny thing about acknowledging a mistake is that you are not admitting that you were wrong, mayby just misinformed or gullable, but by listening to all sources you are opening yourself up to learn new things faster.
    Excellent post but I wouldn't say the acknowledging a mistake makes you gullable. People just recieve wrong information sometimes.
    David Laville, G.S.E.M.

"Richard"

got a personal trainer

so I went to the gym and got me a personal trainer, want to get back into shape. In passing I mentined that I wan to do some golf related exercieses to get some extra yards. She told me to work on my abs, quads. She said lots of the power comes from the legs.. not most but she said short term, you can gain more yards by working on your legs and abs and obliques... i guess we will find out in a few months

5 Iron themob is on a distinguished road
    She is probably incorrect in most of that.

Legs and core muscles provide stability, and will definately help in balance. While this, in turn, may very well help to add distance it will undoubtebly help control more. Assuming of course you don't think you are superman after 3 or 4 months at the gym and try to swing too hard.

"Richard"
    sounds right to me, if you want to get some quick yards work the parts of your body that don't get lots of exercise (in my case). No point working out my arms, they are already in pretty good shape. If I work my abs and my quads I'll gain more yards than I would by working my already strong and fast shoulders and arms... I think that is all she meant. Thought it was relevent

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    sounds right to me, if you want to get some quick yards work the parts of your body that don't get lots of exercise (in my case). No point working out my arms, they are already in pretty good shape. If I work my abs and my quads I'll gain more yards than I would by working my already strong and fast shoulders and arms... I think that is all she meant. Thought it was relevent
    Where stronger legs and abs will help you on the course will be near the end of the round as you start to get tired. Four to six hours a on a course is an endurance contest and being stronger all over may prevent lazy swings near the end.

As mentoned above, the motion of the legs in the downswing stablize the body into a position that allows the wrists/arms/shoulders to apply their speed to the golf ball. Good for you for getting in shape, however, if you think you are going to gain yards by this, you will likely be disappointed. Stronger arms and shoulders will help, but the greatest distance gain will be made by developing a swing with an inside path to the ball and more centre of face contact. Also, you will gain a handful of yards by having the correct golf shaft in you clubs, if you have the wrong shaft in your clubs, now.

While we see significant motion in the legs of good golfers and we feel the same motion in our legs, they are not a PRIMARY source of club head speed. As your golf club is attached to your hands, it's your arms/hands that position the club correctly when you swing and provide the bulk of the speed. Exercise them for more distance.

"Richard"
    BC MIST, I agree with you 100%. But for someone who already has alot of strength and speed in their arms and shoulders, legs, abs and obliques will add distance. Working out your arms more will get you minimal gains if you already have more than enough speed and power there. I'm obviously not only going to work out arms, shoulders when I work out, I'll be doing a 4 day cycle where I cover everything (including wrists, which I wouldn't have done had you not mentioned it.. so thanks). But for me specifically because I have chicken legs, weak abs, for me its curcial to work out those parts as well to gain balance and more power through my swing. But you are right, if you are begining and have weak everything, you will gain much more yardage by working out your arms, shoulders, back than you will by working out your abs and quads.

BC do you know any golf specific workouts? Anyone?

Thread Information