100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hockey Talk

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Hockey Talk

Couple of good forums for hard-core hockey talk:
    http://www.hockeynations.com/
    http://mb.scout.com/bhockey/

Just posting this here in case anyone wants to join in the fun. Get away with a lot more trash talk than over here...

(Dan, if this is against any rule, I apologize in advance. Just think considering how many threads get moderated here, it might be a good idea).

Anyways, I post on both as czechmate.

Cheers,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    This is a golf forum. Hockey is just here because people want it to be.

You are not posting this simply to drive traffic from here over to your own site so it's OK by me.

http://mb.scout.com/bhockey/ does not work

Interesting that Hockeynations has policy prohibiting flame wars and trolling, but they "strive to provide our members with more freedom of expression than can be found on any other major sports forum." I guess it has to get really out of hand there. Well, Hockey is Hockey and Golf is Golf. Slam them into the boards over there Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    This is a golf forum. Hockey is just here because people want it to be.

You are not posting this simply to drive traffic from here over to your own site so it's OK by me.

http://mb.scout.com/bhockey/ does not work

Interesting that Hockeynations has policy prohibiting flame wars and trolling, but they "strive to provide our members with more freedom of expression than can be found on any other major sports forum." I guess it has to get really out of hand there. Well, Hockey is Hockey and Golf is Golf. Slam them into the boards over there Dan!
    Things started getting WAY outta hand at HockeyNations during the draft and free agency periods. For a while they were getting about 1000 new members per day. Then the flaming started, and believe me, even though we clearly have different ideas about what flaming is, we'd both agree on this one...

Since, they migrated over to a new server, and made it mandatory to re-register. I think they put together a scheister list...

http://mb.scout.com/bhockey

That link works for me...

Dan

Unmoderated sites will always get way out of hand eventually. If that's what you are looking for, fill yer boots.

It's not unmoderated, it's just more "hockey" than this site. Let's face it, there's a disparity between the "stereotypical golfer" and "stereotypical hockey fan".... They do allow swearing, which can be as annoying as it can be fun...

Another one I have found, that is linked with 200+ hockey media/scouting outlets is zerogravitysports.com

Dan

I know what you are saying, I kinda said that with "Hockey is Hockey and Golf is Golf."
    Still, lots of kids are into hockey and I'm not keen on kids accessing such a "hard core" discussion.
    Not moderating (or mildly moderating?) is FAR easier than actual moderating is. Moderating Hockey discussions seems to be a monumental task compared to other subjects. Oh yah, Politics, religion, sexuality...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Hockey is just here because people want it to be.
    Just for the record, not all of us want it to be...

There were so many hockey/football (but mainly hockey) threads in off-topic it waranted a "sports" forum.

Oh, I agree and I understand why hockey is discussed on this site. Just sickens me because I hate the friggin' sport. I think there is plenty of discussion and coverage of it in Canada already that folks should hardly have to go to a golf board to discuss hockey.
    However I realize I am in the minority.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    What is it that you hate about it?
    Not the fighting i hope?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Not the fighting i hope?
    I'm gonna guess it's not the fighting, having ridden home from Eagle with Reid at our OGT event and chatting about nothing much else along the way....

Reid, if they mounted engines in the skates, you would like, yes?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Not the fighting i hope?
    It's not so much the game of hockey that I don't like. It's a fine game
    It's just I'm sick of it. Even as a non-watcher I get to see and hear plenty about hockey just by living in Canada. It's like no other sport exists here. The Red Sox can win the World Series and the next day at work people are talking about the game between the Ducks and the Sharks. Plus, these days the season seems to starts in early August and end in late July. It's never-ending.
    So basically I have to avoid hockey to prevent myself from becoming so sick of it that I completely despise the sport. And you guys aren't helping by discussing it on a golf site

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Season starts on Oct 5th and will end in June. When a team wins the Stanley cup it is barely news in the states, when they win the world series the country stops. The opposite is true here, welcome to Canada....it is our game!

Yeah, the season ends in late June, then in July all the sports sections of the newspapers talk about is the NHL Awards and then the draft. Then camp starts in August followed by exhibition games and finally the neverending, meaningless season starts in October. Real hockey only starts in April when the playoffs get going and then ends in late June. If I can avoid it the rest of the year I sometimes have the energy to watch a playoff game or two.
    Strangely, on the U.S. golf boards I frequent there is surprisingly little baseball talk. There's some general sports talk but it's pretty much evenly split between baseball, football, hockey, tennis, cycling, NASCAR etc...
    Anyway, there's no point in beating this to death. Just my opinion. It's not like the NHL is going to go under because Reid doesn't like hockey...

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I really love baseball, but i find the same problems that you find with hockey. I really think that baseball would be more excited if they cut the schedule down to 100 games, just like analysts said about hockey. I find that in baseball, a team can go on a 12-20 game winless streak and still have a chance to make the playoffs. I just wish the games were more meaningful. You saying that the hockey season doesn't start til April, is just like people saying baseball doesn't really start til Oct., or football til the playoffs. Every year its mostly the same teams in the playoffs, its just can "Ottawa beat Toronto in hockey" "Can Boston erase the curse in baseball" "Can Peyton Manning beat the Patriots in football" all sports really don't start until the playoffs to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    It's not like the NHL is going to go under because Reid doesn't like hockey...
    Don't sell yourself short man... You're a good guy!

dan

Thread Information