CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hole in One

Lob Wedge Northern Golfer is on a distinguished road Northern Golfer's Avatar

Hole in One

This past Sunday my local club had a Par 3 tournament. On te 3rd hole, normally a par 4, i was lucky enough to jug me tee shot from about 185 out. There was alot of dew that morning so we couldnt see it go in. The divot was about 6 inches away at 7 o'clock, since it was a high 6 iron with a little fade(left to right) and soft greens, im guessing it bounced in. I was pretty stoaked. The best shot I have ever made.

Now here is my question. Is it a "real" hole in one?

The guys at my club all seemed to thing it didnt really count and other than a few hand shakes and a congrates or two nothing much was made of it. "Nice shot, too bad it doesn't really count", was one quote. The only other hole in one this season at the course made the local paper.

Yes my chances, everyone's for that matter, were increased because it was 18 chances to go for the hole, but it still was a great shot.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    give your fellow members a punch for me. A hole in one is a hole in one. Congrats on it, i don't care if you have 72 chances at it, its still not a likely occurance because you get 14 more chances!!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I don't see why it wouldn't be a hole-in-one. Look at it this way, sounds like you didn't have to buy a round of drinks afterwards
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

no drinks were bought afterwards...

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    Congrats on the hole in one. My opinion on this is that if you tee-off from the tee box and you get it in then its a hole in one no mastter if it was a converted par 4. I've been golfing for more than 15yrs and I probably had over 2000 chances and still zero hole in ones so the fact that you had 18 chances in one round is irrelevant.

Congrats again!!!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Congrats! Still waiting on my first. Do have several chip ins though.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    A hole-in-one on a par-3 course still counts. I see them posted in our local golf magazine all the time. You played the hole with one shot from the teeing ground to the bottom of the cup. That's all that matters. Congratulations!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    OK so this was a PAR 3 Event?
    There were Tee Blocks on the fairway where you teed off from?
    Then in my mind it is an ACE and Welcome to the CLUB!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thanks guys! You all have reaffermed what I have been thinking all week.

I have had a few chip ins but nothing compaired to the feeling of walking up to the hole and seeing the ball in the bottom of the cup.

That shot ended up getting me into 2nd in my flight for the day. There were very few birdies on the day, 4 and my ace, as the greens were airated a few days before and putting was a nightmare. Either the holes would jump your ball sideways or make it straighter than expected.

This was most likely my last round of the year, so it made an otherwise poor year on the links a memorable one.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Think of it this way...

Every year the USGA takes a hole at the US Open that will usually play as a modest par-5 for the members, but they turn it into a monster par-4. If a competitor makes a 3 on that hole, is it an eagle? No, it's a birdie because the committee designated that hole as a par-4 for that competition.

As far as your tournament goes, your committee set up that particular hole as a par-3 and placed the tee markers accordingly. No matter how you slice it, you have made your first ace.

Congrats and enjoy the bragging rights!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Thumbs up Way to go buddy.

Congratulations! I had my first this year. Join the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Golfer
    This past Sunday my local club had a Par 3 tournament. On te 3rd hole, normally a par 4, i was lucky enough to jug me tee shot from about 185 out. There was alot of dew that morning so we couldnt see it go in. The divot was about 6 inches away at 7 o'clock, since it was a high 6 iron with a little fade(left to right) and soft greens, im guessing it bounced in. I was pretty stoaked. The best shot I have ever made.

The guys at my club all seemed to thing it didnt really count and other than a few hand shakes and a congrates or two nothing much was made of it. "Nice shot, too bad it doesn't really count", was one quote. The only other hole in one this season at the course made the local paper.

Yes my chances, everyone's for that matter, were increased because it was 18 chances to go for the hole, but it still was a great shot.

Any thoughts?

Dave

I have talked to a number of non and casual golfers today and they all agree with what has been said here.

Thankyou all for reafferming my ace!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Now go buy the drinks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Now go buy the drinks
    Consider it done.

bbad
    Congrat's on the whole in one.....I've played this game for 33 years, am a 3 handicapp and have NEVER had one...lost track of the number of eagles on par 4's and I have had an albatross, but I'd trade them all in for a hole in one.

To make matters worse, a good friend of mine just started playing this year, and already has 1 hole in one......

I GIVE UP!!!!!

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    You lucky dog. It is still an ace in my books if it was a tee shot on a par 3 moved up or not.
    Both my parents have an ace to their claim, and they starting golfing in their sixties. I do not care that the holes we less than 100 yards, it still went in on their first shot, that is a hole in one any way you slice it or dice it. I sure I manage to get one some day.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I'm with BBad I'm a scratch player with eagles flying out of my duppa and even a double eagle but sadly for me no hole in ones. So congrats!!! and hold your head high cause that 185 yard shot is further that many professional golfers longest hole in ones and just think how many shots at the greens they take!!! I hope you saved that ball to put it in some kind of trophy or something. Congratulations to you again from all of us jealous fellow golfers.....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Golfer
    The guys at my club all seemed to thing it didnt really count and other than a few hand shakes and a congrates or two nothing much was made of it. "Nice shot, too bad it doesn't really count", was one quote.
    It is really sad when these kind of ignorant people try to diminish an amazing accomplishment like this. They should have shared in your joy.

Some aces happen when great shots are made but some happen when lucky bounces occur. I had an experience one time where the reaction to a lucky ace was SILENCE, instead of elation.

Golf games come and go but you will remember this hole in one for the rest of your life. Well done!

"Richard"
    Sorry to be the one that brings this up but I've heard that a hole in one isn't a REAL hole in one if its not playing over 6000 yards for men. So if you get a hole in one and the total length is only 5600 it doesn't count. Has anyone else heard this? I mean if jack got a hole in one on a par 3 I don't think he would count it. I'm not taking anything away from you and your awesome shot, if I made it would count it as well but its something i always wondered about as well. Has anyone else heard this 6000yard thing?

"Richard"
    The very last nine at

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...50/ai_54390582

HOLE-IN-ONE RECORDS (Established by the Golf Digest Hole-in-One Clearing House. Aces must occur on courses of at least 6,000 yards.)

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Sorry to be the one that brings this up but I've heard that a hole in one isn't a REAL hole in one if its not playing over 6000 yards for men. So if you get a hole in one and the total length is only 5600 it doesn't count. Has anyone else heard this? I mean if jack got a hole in one on a par 3 I don't think he would count it. I'm not taking anything away from you and your awesome shot, if I made it would count it as well but its something i always wondered about as well. Has anyone else heard this 6000yard thing?
    I have heard the same thing that you mentioned - not to take anythinhg away from Northern Golfer, but I have heard that a hole in one made on a par -3 or "execuvtive" course is not considered an actual ace.
    Technicalities aside, that's gotta be a good feeling. Congrats!

HOLE-IN-ONE RECORDS (Established by the Golf Digest Hole-in-One Clearing House. Aces must occur on courses of at least 6,000 yards.)
    So to get a 25 cent Golf Digest bag tag, the course on which I make a hole in one, has to be 6000+ yards, not 5999. You know what they can do with their bag tag.

I have heard the same thing that you mentioned - not to take anythinhg away from Northern Golfer, but I have heard that a hole in one made on a par -3 or "execuvtive" course is not considered an actual ace.
    Now I get it. If I hit my first shot on a par 3 into the hole for a 1, it is not a 1. Is that like OJ saying that, "If after I shot my ex-wife and her boyfriend, I said I didn't, I didn't?" Or, if Northern Golfer goes out to his golf club and scores the lowest round ever on that course, it is not a course record, because it was not in a tournament?

How do people come up with this stuff? An ace is an ace is an ace. Don't let the naysayers, cynics and nincompoops take any of the thrill away from your great shot.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Congrats on the ace, got my first this season. And congrats to BC MIST for brining up the word nincompoop. I haven't heard that word in years, thanks for the chuckle BC.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Congrats on the ace, got my first this season. And congrats to BC MIST for brining up the word nincompoop. I haven't heard that word in years, thanks for the chuckle BC.
    Old fashioned euphemism for sensitive ears.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Now I get it. If I hit my first shot on a par 3 into the hole for a 1, it is not a 1. Is that like OJ saying that, "If after I shot my ex-wife and her boyfriend, I said I didn't, I didn't?" Or, if Northern Golfer goes out to his golf club and scores the lowest round ever on that course, it is not a course record, because it was not in a tournament?
    Um...that's an interesting analogy to say the least...

I think what is trying to be conveyed with the hole in one "rules" is that if you play 18 par -3's you would have a greater chance of an ace that if you play a course with just 4 par -3's.
    That being said, I agree with your sentiment: ball struck once from tee into cup = ace.

Im going to have to check how long my home course is normally. If it is over 6000 yards it just makes it. Thankyou for all the kind words. I have the ball saved, I actually kept playing with it untill 15 or 16 when it got a scuff on it. I have all the details printed on it and plan on doing something with it. Snow hit the ground today so that 18 was my last for the season. A long winter awaits...

Thread Information