CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    I just took a look at a shaft PURE report, I ordered my last set of irons PURE'd. If I'm reading it correctly, when installed in the recommended orientation, then the N axis is pointing towards the target, i.e. at 9 O'clock. To get this the PURE label should be at either the 12 or 6 o'clock position.
    It is my understanding that when the shafts are PURE'ed that they find the most stable plane and this stable plane is aligned to the target, ie., from 3 to 6. This means that the arrow they use or some other similar mark for other manufacturers, is placed in the 12 o'clock position, for ease of installation. N, therefore, would be in or close to 12, not 9.

Even if you rotated the shaft 90 degrees, you would likely be orientating the shaft in a STABLE position, even though the butt flex, MIGHT be different than from the previous position. The weakness in spining comes when the stable positions are placed roughly 45 degrees away from 12 to 6 or 3 to 9.

For we "pseudo" clubmakers, the best thing to do is FLO the shaft, as The Saint said. It is a matter of opinion as to whether the stable plane be orientated 12 to 6 or 3 to 9, but both will work.

Tom Wishon spines all his Interflexx shafts and suggests that they be placed in the 3 to 9 plane, and his graphics are then painted on so that the markings be installed to 12 o'clock.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Floing has one set back. It does not tell which is the stiffer or softer plane unless you have a frequency meter. And as John kaufman puts it Nature always follows the path of least resistance. Most spiners prefer the stiff plane in the 12-6 position for that particular reason and also to control droop. That is how the term Supershaft came about. A shaft with a big spine lined up in the 12-6 position with lots of whip in the target direction. But then if you have good shafts why even bother.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Geoff,

Where exactly did you get the data? I think I know what it is saying, but putting it in context would help.

I went on the UST site and entered the serial numbers on the shafts. The data is comparing the shaft in a radom position and in the optimum spined position. Let me know what you think about it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I went on the UST site and entered the serial numbers on the shafts. The data is comparing the shaft in a radom position and in the optimum spined position. Let me know what you think about it.
    I took a look and UST is giving the numbers from the PURE report. It looks like they run the PUREing process on all the Tour model shafts.

When you get a shaft PURE'd (TM) you get a print out with the shaft that gives the following:

1. A graph of the relative stiffness of the shaft around it's circumference.
    2. Two side by side plots. One of the oscillation profile for the logo up and one for the PURE'd position.
    3. A table that gives the data you got from the web site.

So, if you believe that PURE'ing matters, then you should probably pull them and get them rotated. The FAQ on PUREing can be found here:

http://www.sstpure.com/faq.html

Geoff. Just to give you heads up. I measured your ex shaft in a frequency meter with the grip on and a 205 gram tip weight at 43 inches long. High frequency 273 low frequency 271. No severe wobble. Therefore not too much to worry about if not lined up directly on the logo.

Caddy Jeany is on a distinguished road

Performance wise

It is worth it to have your shaft spined or its just a money grab again.
    bye

Quote Originally Posted by Jeany
    It is worth it to have your shaft spined or its just a money grab again.
    bye
    It is not a money grab. As John Kaufman would put it it is best to get good shafts. You'll find bigger spines in off the rack clubs mostly because the manufacturers sqeeze the shaft vendors to increase their margins. You'll read all of that when you get the book. But if you get SK or Mercury and a few others you won't have to worry about spining. Ust also has improved their shafts an awful lot in the recent years and others are following. Spining is not a cure all though. It only allows you to hit the ball on centre more consistantly. If you have a chance check out the video on the first page of this thread.Performancewise you can't expect great results when a shaft has 2 flexes within the same shaft.

Thread Information