100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Divots and lie angles

I was talking to someone about lie angles the other day and he came up with a very interesting point of view. Even if you have been fitted dynamically on a lie board you should always check your divot on the course and on the range. Providing you're on a flat surface you should always check your divot. If it's deeper on one side or the other i.e toe side or heel side then your clubs need to be tweaked again. Thanks for the tip CLB.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I was talking to someone about lie angles the other day and he came up with a very interesting point of view. Even if you have been fitted dynamically on a lie board you should always check your divot on the course and on the range. Providing you're on a flat surface you should always check your divot. If it's deeper on one side or the other i.e toe side or heel side then your clubs need to be tweaked again. Thanks for the tip CLB.
    Would the lie angles not have to be off by a huge number of degrees to be able to detect whether the club is too upright/flat, just by looking at the thickness of the divot? Two or three degrees would make a difference in ball flight, however, how much is that in millimetres of grass thickness?

The length of a divot depends on the angle of attack and the kind of turf from which the ball is played. A proper divot is cut starting at the target and curves slightly left of target indicating a more or less "circular" club head path. If the golfer is a rotator then the toe would likely be lower than the heel shortly after impact, but if the golfer is a "left wrist is flat/right wrist is bent" kind of golfer, then the divots thickness will vary from the other, from start to finish, so looking at the first inch or so may be a little more reliable.

Overall though, IMO, this method seems quite unreliable.

9 Iron chieflabattblue is on a distinguished road

Correct divot?????

First I would like to say hello to Cheiflongtee...Great first part of name..Mrs Longtee must be Happy

Agree with you totally Chief about divots and lie angles and the importance of the correct ones for all individuals which will be unique for all.

As to BC Mist..( hello to you as well )...inregards of the "correct divot" as stated by you prviously...IMO the divot should be str8 and of equal depth on both sides on a Correct divot..We all try to atleast come to the ball str8 in order to hit it toward our designated target....after all Moe Norman was the only one to hit a str8 golf ball because how square/srt8 he came to the golf ball ( God bless where he is now..Thanks for everything Moe)....he was seemingly... to be atleast coming to the ball about 18 inches square...Thus is why he hit it srt8 and was worldly recognize for his accomplishment....Does anyone here know about his lie angles by chance???? If you do then you will know how he repeated his swing always.

Cheers to everyone

This is just my input to a correct divot and lie angles.

Thread Information