100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf Shoes?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Golf Shoes?

What is everybody using? I am still in search for a golf shoe that lasts more then a season. I have Foot Joy Contours right now, they are super comfortable but they are falling apart after a season and a half of play. I had Nike's before these and they didn't make it to the end of there first season. I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Foot Joy Classic Premiers, they are $399.99 at GT!!! But in the states they are about $125 bucks cheaper once you do the tax and dollar conversion, I'll be down there in Feb so might pick them up. Anybody play with them here? The big problem I see is that most shoes are all rubber, the uppers are good leather but the sole is rubber and rips. Thats why I want to go to a full leather shoe at least you can get them repaired and $200 per year for shoes is brutal. I would glady pay the $325 the Classics will cost me if they will last a few years. Any thoughts?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Good thread.

My last two pairs were Adidas Z-Traxions. Very comfortable, but they only last a season and a bit before they self destruct, usually in the heel. I chalk this up to the fact that the heal is padded so it's susceptible to wearing out.

So, I just took the plunge on a pair of ECCO Gore-Tex. Pricey, but very comfy as well. Time will tell on the durability factor.

Lob Wedge TheNextTiger is on a distinguished road
    I'm winding down my second season with Footjoy X-Dimensions and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They are extremely comfortable, and the traction is superb. And like I said before, I've just about finished my second full year with them and they show very few signs of fatigue. However, I should also mention that I only play about 15-20 rounds a year with them, which may have something to do with them showing little wear. When purchasing a shoe I am somewhat limited in my choice because I have a narrow foot that requires a narrow width, and I havent been able to find Nike or Aididas shoes in narrow widths. But I picked these up off TGW and have no regrets.

As for the Footjoy Classic Premier's, I dont think you could go wrong with them. I've never tried them on before but they are handmade in the US, and are widely considered the best shoe in golf. They are also used extensively on tour. And as for the Eccos, I've never tried them on before either, but I have a pair of Ecco causal shoes that are the most comfortable shoes I own. I've had them for quite a while as well, so I dont think you could go wrong with either.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I've put 32 rounds on my footjoy(greenjoys)and the spikes are just now starting to let go.

I find them very comfy,and well built.
    For 65.00 at golfworks ,if i get two seasons out of them,i dont care!
    20.00 for new spikes once,then i'll buy another pair!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    dbleber I will say one thing in the defense of leather soles. I have dress shoes that are leather soles and it was the greatest thing I have ever purchased. You can go to a cobbler and get the soles replace for relatively cheap and I have not had to do it yet. They are 3 years old. As for the classics, if I wasnt a student I would buy them in a second. If leather soles in golf shoes feel anything like they do in a dress shoe I will take the spikes out and wear them year round. Take the plunge and buy them. That is my feedback. After a long day on my feet to and from meetings and school my body still feels good. and looks good as well!!

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I've been using the same pair of Callaway shoes for almost 2yrs now and they are still comfortable and look almost the same as the day I bought them. I've played over 150 rounds with them in the morning without any problems. I would recommend them.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I like to keep 2 pair on the go. If one gets soaking wet and I'm playing the next day I know I'll have a dry pair to wear. I have a pair of Nike Gore-tex (3 yrs old), still in great shape and a new pair of Ecco Hydromax. Both offer good quality but I think the Ecco wins out on looks and comfort.
    Be sure to walk around in the store and make sure there are no pressure points as they will cause some pain walking 18 holes. If you can, bring a second pair to the golf course and leave them in the car in case you need to change them after 9 holes.
    Concerning heel wear (inside shoe), this can be avoided by using a shoe horn, however the wear can be repaired without costing to much.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

just got a pair of Callaways

great shoe. Extremely comfortable and they look like they are built to last. Actually the shoe thing always amazes me. I have friends that go through shoes in a year (dress ones) but mine seem to last me forever. I tend to get tired of them before they ever wear out on me.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am going to pick up a pair of those new Adidas 360's. They look solid.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Another vote for Callaways. I have wide feet (EEE), and these and my old Bite shoes have been the only ones that I've found to be comfortable from Day 1. I've played about 30 rounds in the Callys and they still look brand new.

I have had 2 pairs of Footjoys (Soft-joys and Dry-Joys), and I will never buy them again. The top creases and presses down on the base of my big toe giving me blisters after a couple of rounds. Very uncomfortable, and neither lasted a full season of 50-60 games.

BTW, if you have wide feet my podiatrist recommends you stay away from most saddle-style golf shoes. They typically have a nearly-vertical seam running from the sole to the top of the laces on each side, which tends to pull the sides of the shoe together too tightly and can be very constricting if you have wide feet. She recommended a blucher (sp?) style shoe, which has primarily horizontal seams (if any).
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Bite Me

I have been wearing BITE Journey golf shoes for 3 years. Most comfortable golf shoe I have worn in 24 years of golfing. Great two year waterproof warranty, I have taken two pair back and the store replaced them no questions asked. The company has sent me a couple of hats as well. Another nice feature from BITE is the fact you can go to their website and actually communicate with someone via the internet, or you can call them toll free. Like I said very good customer service from this company.
    Plus they have some pretty funky looking golf shoes if you are into styling on the course
    http://www.biteshoes.com/golf/index.htm
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I have a 2 shoe strategy my fancy (new this spring) shoes are black callaways great so far, my back ups are dexter golf moc "2" which are slip ons. they're a little funny looking, but they are sooo comfortable, and have stood op to 2 years plus this year's 1/2 service very well. they could have another full year of use and more. But having 2 pair is the way to go. I walk the course 80% of the time, so I put the shoes through their paces. I had a pair of nikes a couple years back that didn't survive the season.

2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I have been wearing BITE Journey golf shoes for 3 years. Most comfortable golf shoe I have worn in 24 years of golfing. Great two year waterproof warranty, I have taken two pair back and the store replaced them no questions asked. The company has sent me a couple of hats as well. Another nice feature from BITE is the fact you can go to their website and actually communicate with someone via the internet, or you can call them toll free. Like I said very good customer service from this company.
    Plus they have some pretty funky looking golf shoes if you are into styling on the course
    http://www.biteshoes.com/golf/index.htm

I'm going to pick up a pair tomorrow actually.

My only question is, and it's not going to prevent me from buying them, but how come you've had to return their product? I've never had to return a pair of golf shoes since I've been golfing.

Quote Originally Posted by BOMBER
    I'm going to pick up a pair tomorrow actually.

My only question is, and it's not going to prevent me from buying them, but how come you've had to return their product? I've never had to return a pair of golf shoes since I've been golfing.
    BITE Golf Shoes have a 2 year waterproof warranty. Now take into consideration I play anywhere from 130-160 rounds a season and I walk most of those. So that is hard on shoes, especially if you play in the morning when there is a lot of dew.
    So mine started to leak a little bit, so I thought what the hell I am taking them back. The store replaced them no problem, no questions asked.
    I actually have had 2 pair replaced. however when they back their shoes up with that warranty then I do not feel quilty about having them replaced.

Another thing BITE does, they offer a 45 day comfort warranty. If you are not happy with those shoes after 45 days they will refund your money. Not many golf shoe companies will do that!
    Trust me, they are great shoes, I am just hard on them due to all the golf and walking I do
    I have the DXL Journey, nice wide toe. Very comfortable, from the first time I wore them right out of the box. You will be pleased I am sure.

Got My Card zoic is on a distinguished road zoic's Avatar
    I have wide feet two, since my arches fell. I cannot even wear normal shoes at all anymore, just sandals. This of course caused me to have to take a slower swing, which has chopped some distance from my drives. This is not so bad really, since I now hit the ball much straighter and have shaved strokes off my game as a result. I have looked at some golf sandals this summer, I think I may buy a pair since they are reduced now at the end of the season. Note, I must wears socks especially if it is wet, or het blisters from the straps .

Quote Originally Posted by zoic
    I have wide feet two, since my arches fell. I cannot even wear normal shoes at all anymore, just sandals. This of course caused me to have to take a slower swing, which has chopped some distance from my drives. This is not so bad really, since I now hit the ball much straighter and have shaved strokes off my game as a result. I have looked at some golf sandals this summer, I think I may buy a pair since they are reduced now at the end of the season. Note, I must wears socks especially if it is wet, or het blisters from the straps .
    Check out BITE golf shoes I bet you will find a pair from them that will help you with your arch problem and wide feet. Click the link in my post above and take a look.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    If you are looking in that 400$ range, go with the eccos, if you take care of them they will last...

Right now my standard for golf shoes is that I by a pair of last year's Foot Joys (currently wearing the X dimensions) for 1/2 price or better in may wear them through the season, and then use them for the next spring... that way I don't put a good pair of shoes through the mucky soggy early rounds (i usually buy the new pair aroun d christmas boxing day etc... and break them in around mid may)

One thing that is great about the X dimension (and most higher priced shoes) is the heel padding so you don't ahve to break them in ... what a god send A definate must in my books when looking for shoes...

I've never lasted more than a season in Golf shoes, but I do play and practice alot ... this year I have worn my spikes flat twice and replaced them...the 3rd set will be flat by the end of october...so it doesn't surprise me that much that they don't last longer also, to be honest, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to maintenance...looking at those X- dimensions I don't see why someone couldn't get 2 seasons out of them w/ a little care and a 'reasonable' # of rounds... But for an average for 60-80$ a year (and I'm grabbing shoes w/ reg. price of 200-250) I'd rather just slip a new set on every year sure are cheaper than the bag additions I make every year

btw I get them at golf town these days...they seem to carry enough stock that I can still find my size when there are big sales (and I'm a pretty common size...12 - 12.5)..

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Not sure what kind of Footjoys I have; but I bought them for 9.99$ off ebay last year and theyare holding up great! Very comfy and waterproof!

Lob Wedge Dodger55 is on a distinguished road

Golf Shoes

Here is another vote for Bite Golf Shoes.

Been playing this game for over 40 years and the Bite's are the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn. I am on my fourth pair over the past 5 years (still have 3 pair in good shape - just change the cleats) - and I play everyday here is Louisiana.

The Bite shoes do have to be broken in - just tell them your shoe size and put them on when they arrive. The web site for Bite always is running specials and these shoes are absolutely the best.

Brent

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Red face

There are almost no shoes that will last more than one season if you play alot.

Thats why you need a couple, to a few, pairs.

I have brown suede etonic mocs, love the fact when late for tee, just slip on.
    I have a white and black pair of nike athletics, lasted my 2+ seasons, last year that nike featured this shoe with wrap around padding (no collar) but laces, very comfy.
    Lastly, this season picked up pair of ecco's. Uncomfortable first 2 rounds, had heel blisters, then broke in and...ahhhhhh, so sooooft and comfy!

3 pairs is way to go (or more). Playing with shoes not fully aired/dried out wears them down quickly.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Bought 4 pairs of Footjoy Dryjoys ($175?) 7 years ago, are all still in good shape and very comfortable, even though I play 100 to 125 rounds per year.

Will try the Adidas 360's in the spring.

I picked up a brand new pair of Footjoy Classics with a full leather upper and sole for only $130 Cdn! They are a beautiful golf shoe, only got to wear them once at the end of the season and they were stiff. Hoping to break them in next season.

Par Samick is on a distinguished road

Footjoys & Adidas

Footjoy Classics need a pretty good breaking in period, but once they are broken in, they feel like an old pair of favourite slippers.

For $130 Cdn you cant go wrong there! I paid that much for my Adidas Tour Traxion......and AD Comfort. The AD Comfort shoes are just that, no break in time needed! Nice and soft right out of the box with 2 year waterproof warranty. They are very light as well.

Now........if I could only find out where I can get Footjoy Classics for $130.........

Quote Originally Posted by ap_logan
    Footjoy Classics need a pretty good breaking in period, but once they are broken in, they feel like an old pair of favourite slippers.

For $130 Cdn you cant go wrong there! I paid that much for my Adidas Tour Traxion......and AD Comfort. The AD Comfort shoes are just that, no break in time needed! Nice and soft right out of the box with 2 year waterproof warranty. They are very light as well.

Now........if I could only find out where I can get Footjoy Classics for $130.........
    I got them off Ebay from the states and they were still $130 Cdn everything in! I just got lucky it was a new seller who had placed them in a bad section so they didn't get many hits. I was the only one who bid on them, great deal for me and what a great looking golf shoe. Brown with the split toe, sweet!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Nice denny.. I just ordered a pair of Nike Shox but I am looking into some classics for a second pair..

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    I've always had adidas, z traxion tour, and i'm now using the tour 360, which are beauties. Next time i'll get some Classic dry premiere, because I'm going to the US and they are cheap for the quality you get.

Thread Information