100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thicker grip?

Gap Wedge curls is on a distinguished road

Thicker grip?

I have rather large hands (I'm 6'2 and have large hands compared to most people my height).

Lately after I play, the index finger of my left hand (I'm right handed) is sore, at the pad nearest the palm of my hand. Also, I tend to try to grip tightly because if I don't, I don't have enough contact with the grip to keep a club in my hand (club doesn't seem to "sit" on the right areas of my hand, because my fingers are long).

I was wondering if going with a thicker grip would help this. I also have a tendancy to release the grip, or the opposite - turn the club over, because I just cannot find a comfortable grip pressure and position.

Is there a guide online as to the "proper" grip thickness based on hand measurements or anything like that? Also, where would be a good and economical place to get the re-grip done, and what are some good grips to look for for the recreational (trying to get better) player?

Thanks all!
    ~Eric

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

ping

Check out the ping website for a quick fit there's an online grip fitting thing. You just measure from the base of your hand to the top or your middle finger and it lets you know what's up. I think it's pinggolf.com

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

grips

me tooo...i have big hands and used the online ping system to see what
    grips i needed and sure enuff they were larger than normal....it works, feels good.
    you can get larger grips, and have the person putting them on put on an extra layer of tape underneath if you need even more grip size.

What would I be looking at for a decent (not high end) set of grips + labour included, and where would be good to go? Does GolfTown do good work?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Golfworks on Industrial carries oversize grips also called Jumbo grips. Grips are mostly about feel not hand size. That being said a pro basketball player was once fitted with a grip that had 9 layers of built up tape.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You can also try a tennis shop that carries gauze tape and build up your grips until satisfied.
    http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageAC-UGT.html

Otherwise get some gauze from any drug store and build them up until you find the proper combination.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The guide line you will hear from most is the tip of the fingers should just meet up with the palm of your hand. If they are digging into your palm then a bigger grip would help. If you are handy at all, then regripping yourself is not only more economical but one of the easiest things you will ever do. I would go to Golfworks and find a grip that feels good and seems to fit your hand better using the guide line above. Buy the grips and some grip tape then go to Crapy Tire and get some Low Ordour Varesol and a Utility knife. Thats it! The Golf Pride website has a really good walk thru of how to do it and so does Golfworks.

I'd LOVE to do it myself but I don't have access to any bench vice or anything to clamp with...

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Grips

Chuck Brown has a 2 for 1 regriping sale in february i think. Guy who manage the shop will tell you all about your needs for your hands size and he'll regrip your clubs for really cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by curls
    I'd LOVE to do it myself but I don't have access to any bench vice or anything to clamp with...

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Thanks for the Ping site....found out that I need a "gold" grip = +1/32 over standard.

Dave

Thread Information