100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    That's right bud... There are other countries in Europe than the Czech Republic. I've visited many of them. I maintain residential ties with one of them.
    Dan
    Thanks for yet another tidbit of self-important information.
    Don't forget to watch for Hasek to remove his helmet during the anthem at the next game he starts.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    It's a valid question, and if you're really curious, ask it. There is nothing prohibiting you from contacting the Senators front office and asking yourself. Considering NOT A SINGLE word of this was mentioned in any media outlet would serve as an indication that the interest level is confined to this forum...
    BTW, I have emailed the Senators for an explanation. Its a long season - I'm sure somebody else will notice sooner or later...
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    BTW, I have emailed the Senators for an explanation. Its a long season - I'm sure somebody else will notice sooner or later...
    Good! That's the best way to get answers. I'm sure if it's something "demonstrative", it will come out soon enough. But to be honest, I don't recall Hasek ever taking his helmet off while on the ice surface, except after a game. Mind you, it wasn't something I was looking for... He still uses the old-style helmet (modified), and even drinks through the grill... I'm sure he's popped the cage up before, but doesn't stand out in my memory...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I told you guys that i would not get involved again but Dan's point made me jump in.

I really hate getting into trivial conversations, but the fact that they don't take off their helmets in Czech, pardon me for asking what this has to do with Canada?? This is Canada, and that means we have different traditions and ways of acting. So you are saying that in Czech they don't take off their helmets, meaning that Dominek was following the normal line of action when he was in Czech, correct???

Sorry to throw my 2cents again, i tried very hard to stay out.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I told you guys that i would not get involved again but Dan's point made me jump in.

I really hate getting into trivial conversations, but the fact that they don't take off their helmets in Czech, pardon me for asking what this has to do with Canada?? This is Canada, and that means we have different traditions and ways of acting. So you are saying that in Czech they don't take off their helmets, meaning that Dominek was following the normal line of action when he was in Czech, correct???

Sorry to throw my 2cents again, i tried very hard to stay out.
    All my point was saying is that traditions are traditions. How many Canadian players learned the Russian/Czech/Slovak/Swedish/Swiss/German and Finnish anthems when they played there last year? How many of them even spoke the language of the country? You might think not removing a piece of a uniform is dis-respectful, but I will assure you of one thing:

1 - The players who come here from abroad show TREMENDOUS respect for Canada and it's culture simply by learning the language. There is an interesting article on Hokej.cz (in Czech unfortunately) that talks about Canadian defenceman Bryan Allen's experiences in the Russian League. The common thread in that one is that he didn't have any idea what his coach was saying to him.... EVER. He's playing over there, not here. Should he not at least adapt and learn the language?

I realize that may be somewhat aside the initial topic, but hopefully it at least serves to quell the idea that this was some singular transgression of cultural ideals/traditions...

The funniest thing is that one other guy I approached on this topic (off this forum, obviously) tried to tell me it's because Czechs (in particular) have a passionate hatred for Canadian hockey. On the ice: yes, but there is respect. Off the ice? NO WAY. There is so much coverage, even of junior hockey. There is so much "appreciation" for the Canadian game. There is tremendous respect. Here, you barely even got a paragraph on the Russian League even when a bunch of Canadians were playing in it.

Anyways, it's gotta be 4:20 somewhere...

Dan

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    All my point was saying is that traditions are traditions. How many Canadian players learned the Russian/Czech/Slovak/Swedish/Swiss/German and Finnish anthems when they played there last year? How many of them even spoke the language of the country? You might think not removing a piece of a uniform is dis-respectful, but I will assure you of one thing:

1 - The players who come here from abroad show TREMENDOUS respect for Canada and it's culture simply by learning the language. There is an interesting article on Hokej.cz (in Czech unfortunately) that talks about Canadian defenceman Bryan Allen's experiences in the Russian League. The common thread in that one is that he didn't have any idea what his coach was saying to him.... EVER. He's playing over there, not here. Should he not at least adapt and learn the language?

I realize that may be somewhat aside the initial topic, but hopefully it at least serves to quell the idea that this was some singular transgression of cultural ideals/traditions...

The funniest thing is that one other guy I approached on this topic (off this forum, obviously) tried to tell me it's because Czechs (in particular) have a passionate hatred for Canadian hockey. On the ice: yes, but there is respect. Off the ice? NO WAY. There is so much coverage, even of junior hockey. There is so much "appreciation" for the Canadian game. There is tremendous respect. Here, you barely even got a paragraph on the Russian League even when a bunch of Canadians were playing in it.

Anyways, it's gotta be 4:20 somewhere...

Dan
    personally, I think they learn the English language for a number of reasons but I wouldn't classify respect as one. How about survival? Endorsements?

If I knew I was going to spend the next 10-15 years living in a country I think it only makes sense to learn the local language. There's lots of European hockey players that come here that can't speak English or just a little and have to learn it our of necessity. Same if you go anywhere for any length of time. Now for the guy that went to Russia, well, if you're only in a place for 3-6 months you can only learn so much and some might say it's not worth it since it takes so long to learn a language.

Really it is all about respecting local customs and traditions when you are visiting another country. Remember, you are a guest in their home. And I don't expect anyone to learn the lyrics just respect the local customs.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I've been reading this post from the beginning and am going to include my two cents whether it matters or not.

Firstly I agree they should do away with the anthems. It was before my time but there was a NBA game many years ago when the still used recordings for the anthems. The tape player broke and for about 1/2 an hour there was almost chaos. Nobody knew what to do. Finally they just decided to start the game. Do away with the anthems altogether.

Secondly, (I may be mistaken) but when you go to Japan do you not take off your shoes before entering either sombody's home or rooms(not sure which one)? And is this not done out of tradition and respect? Over here we take off our helmets for anthems, like it or not. It is our tradition and our way of showing our respect to our country and all who made it what it is today. The last time I was at a Sens game there was a video played on the scoreboard during the anthem. It was a video that showed landmarks, people and events that defined this country. If it is too difficult to stand up and take your hat/helmet off to participate in one of our traditions to show respect for this great country (other than school and a sporting event when was the last time you stood to hear our anthem?) I would prefer if you keep your opinion of it to yourself. Please don't try to push other cultures views upon us. This is our tradition, please respect it. If I go to another country and plan to be there for a while I will make every effort to learn all appropriate mannerisms and traditions that I could encounter while I am there. I would feel very embarrassed if I offended someone because I did not respect a tradition.

It should make you proud to be Canadian when you hear the anthem and should treat the event accordingly. Stand up, be proud.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    personally, I think they learn the English language for a number of reasons but I wouldn't classify respect as one. How about survival? Endorsements?

If I knew I was going to spend the next 10-15 years living in a country I think it only makes sense to learn the local language. There's lots of European hockey players that come here that can't speak English or just a little and have to learn it our of necessity. Same if you go anywhere for any length of time. Now for the guy that went to Russia, well, if you're only in a place for 3-6 months you can only learn so much and some might say it's not worth it since it takes so long to learn a language.

Really it is all about respecting local customs and traditions when you are visiting another country. Remember, you are a guest in their home. And I don't expect anyone to learn the lyrics just respect the local customs.

jeffc, I obviously wasn't fast enough in my response, but I agree with you.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    I could be wrong here, and will be told so if i am i'm sure, but I've been to more hockey games than I can count since the Senators came back, seen almost every team in the NHL and have heard both national anthems enough to memorize every note and key in them.

Take a look at each bench when the anthem plays, not all players have their helmets off. I don't see why someone should pick out Hasek over anybody else, but that's just me.

Athlets tend to get into a zone before the game, and maybe the reason he doesn't take his helmet off is so that he doesn't lose his focus.

Just because you're joining late Geoff, I'm going to reiterate that not being a hat-wearer this doesn't affect me, and I stand for BOTH anthems, the USA one as well.

People asked why he may not have taken his helmet off, I suggested "habit" as a possibility by providing pics... The most frustrating part of all this to me is that this is a Hasek discussion. Scan the crowd, you'll see a TON of people wearing their baseball caps (or worse). Hasek is the only one in the whole friggin building with a good excuse! It's his first start in a new rink in his first game in like 10 years... He's got Cup expectations on his shoulders, and is a really intense dude from all accounts. So what if he kept his helmet on. He's not there to salute flags, he's there to play hockey. Why are we playing the American anthem when American teams come here? Most players are not from US.... Big waste of time.

I'm not arguing with you about what the custom here IS. I am saying that doing it at every single game (exhibition, rookie tourney) is going overboard. Maybe have anthems for playoff games or something, since those are usually a big production anyways.

Anyhow, starting to overlap myself now, so unless something new comes up....

Dan

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If I had been here earlier I'd have closed this.
    Since it seems to have settled down from the insults and jabs, I'll leave it open.

Some involved with the flame war have been warned before, others have not. Call this a blanket warning.

I see your point Dan and agree anthems should be done away with. I stand for both as well. Also remove my cap, but could do without both. But don't get me wrong, I am a proud Candadian and a feeling of joy and pride come over me evertime I hear the anthem. But do we really need it at sporting events when there are so many other nationalities represented on each team? I would say no.

But in saying that I think part of the problem is that removing your hat/helmet is such an easy and trivial thing to do people can't understand why it is not done. Habit or not it only takes a few minutes for the whole ceremonies. With the numbing of society to so many things I guess some people just wish we could hold onto the small things that show we still care.

There's a pic of #33 with his lid on at an All-Star Game...
    Dan

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    With the numbing of society to so many things I guess some people just wish we could hold onto the small things that show we still care.
    That sounds sort of trite but it's an accurate statement.

For the record, I don't think Hasek has any hidden agenda that includes not removing his helmet during the anthem, and I don't think the guy should be strung up for this heinous crime. If tradition holds that players remove their helmets during the anthems then Hasek should as well, if not out of respect for tradition, then simply to help ingratiate himself to the Ottawa fans.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I see your point Dan and agree anthems should be done away with. I stand for both as well. Also remove my cap, but could do without both. But don't get me wrong, I am a proud Candadian and a feeling of joy and pride come over me evertime I hear the anthem. But do we really need it at sporting events when there are so many other nationalities represented on each team? I would say no.

But in saying that I think part of the problem is that removing your hat/helmet is such an easy and trivial thing to do people can't understand why it is not done. Habit or not it only takes a few minutes for the whole ceremonies. With the numbing of society to so many things I guess some people just wish we could hold onto the small things that show we still care.
    This whole thread is predicated on the notion that Dominik Hasek is disrespectful solely because he didn't remove his helmet during the playing of the anthems. Who are we to make that judgement based on that one small action? That's like saying that all black people are gang-bangers and murderers, or that all fat people are overweight because they over-eat. Completely preposterous! It's generalizations like these that cause the majority of the problems in the world today.

In no way is his action, or inaction as the case may be, anyone elses business but his own. If he did it by accident, then you'll probably see him "bucket"-less the next time. If not, maybe it's part of his pre-game ritual. Or maybe he just doesen't want to take it off. That's his choice. You don't have to like him. Painting people with broad brushstrokes just gets you into trouble, and that, more than anything, is disrespectful.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

All I was saying is that with so much disrespect in society today there are some people who, like myself, hope that perhaps with something as small as showing some respect during a national anthem, could possibly remind us of the more important things. Like some people said, holding doors for people, giving up your seat for others who need it etc. I don't know why Hasek didn't remove his helmet, and personally don't care. Disrespectful in his eyes maybe not, disrespectful in the eyes of some Canadians, for sure. Just look at some of the responses. I know what the theme of the thread is, but as you can see it has taken many twists and turns and I was voicing my opinion on some of the twists and turns and not necessarily the main road. I believe in tradition and if that tradition happens to tread into a matter of respect I just wish more people would take notice of that. I think we've made a mountain out of a molehill here. If it wasn't for opinions how boring would this world be.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    There's a pic of #33 with his lid on at an All-Star Game...
    Dan
    Classic! good find.

What if Hasek has his helmet off next game...was it a mistake? or did someone tell him to? Let's say, its game 6 of the division finals, Sens down in the series 3-2, Hasek forgets to take his helmet off during the anthem...is this a big deal? do the fans and media harp on Hasek going into game 7 or can we accept that it was a mistake (we know what the Leafs fans will say, but lets think rational people)

Have you ever gone to a conference and worn a name tag for 3 days and forgotten to take it off before going out for dinner...or put on your new pair of pants without ripping off the clear sticker that says their size...he's done it once (as far as anyone has been able to prove) so whats the big deal.......

i think it will pass over if he takes it off next time. But its a little different than leaving a tag on, or the size sticker. This is like leaving a pair of skates on when leaving the rink, you don't see the tags if you are looking straight ahead, i can quite surely say that Hasek can't forget that he is wearing a helmet!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Good! That's the best way to get answers. I'm sure if it's something "demonstrative", it will come out soon enough. But to be honest, I don't recall Hasek ever taking his helmet off while on the ice surface, except after a game. Mind you, it wasn't something I was looking for... He still uses the old-style helmet (modified), and even drinks through the grill... I'm sure he's popped the cage up before, but doesn't stand out in my memory...

Dan
    Well, here's the response from the Senators:

I am not aware of any reasons why he leaves his helmet on during the national anthems, but believe that he has always done this; perhaps it is superstition or just his way of mentally preparing for the game?

Hmmm, not a very satisfactory answer really.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I am not aware of any reasons why he leaves his helmet on during the national anthems, but believe that he has always done this; perhaps it is superstition or just his way of mentally preparing for the game?

Well, in a lot of ways it is satisfactory. If he does it, he does it. Now you can have your opinion of him based on something somewhat "factual"... If the guy has done it his whole career, people should just accept it and move on... It's not that big a deal.

Dan

I consider this a "non-answer" and sort of a brush off. The person who responded to your question decided the best way to answer was by providing his/her own personal speculation on the topic rather than actually finding out from the horses mouth.
    You got this answer probably because the person who responded to you is just too lazy to look into the matter, or just doesn't care, or both.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    i think it will pass over if he takes it off next time. But its a little different than leaving a tag on, or the size sticker. This is like leaving a pair of skates on when leaving the rink, you don't see the tags if you are looking straight ahead, i can quite surely say that Hasek can't forget that he is wearing a helmet!
    So, what if he continues to wear the helmet during the anthems, either because he refuses to take it off, or some pre-game ritual/superstition thing? Do you stop being a Sens fan? What if he's one of the major factors, or the main factor in the Sens winning the cup this year? Does that taint the victory for you? Will this warrant a * in your personal record book?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    So, what if he continues to wear the helmet during the anthems, either because he refuses to take it off, or some pre-game ritual/superstition thing? Do you stop being a Sens fan? What if he's one of the major factors, or the main factor in the Sens winning the cup this year? Does that taint the victory for you? Will this warrant a * in your personal record book?
    First of all my love for the Sens doesn't rest on Hasek's shoulders. I don't like the guy and personally think he has been over the hill since he got traded to Detroit. I also don't think he will be the major factor in winning the cup, the Sens have the best line-up from forwards to defence. It won't taint the win for me, but i personally don't like a guy more or less depending on his level of success. I am not a fan of Hasek's and won't love him if they win the cup.

To answer the last question, a win is a win. I want the Sens to win soooo bad i don't care if they bring in a convict to play goalie, i will hate the goalie, but toast the win!!!

GO SENS GO

Barnie
    Patriostism is one of this world's greatest evils and countless wars are fought because of it. People need to realize that yes this country is great but there are countless other amazing countries on this planet. To be overly patriotic is a negative experience. Leading myself to be patriotic just because I was born here is ridiculous. Some of you guys arer taking it a little overboard. To tell someone to take their hat off at a game! I'd do more than laugh at you. Perhaps you should respect that person and his beliefs and mind your own business. I don't agree with most of what Dan say's on this board and not all of it on this specific topic but some of his points are valid. Why is patriotism so important to other's when it is directly linked to millions and millions of deaths around the world. Patriotism, money, and religion... the three greatest evils mankind has developed. The crap that get's posted on this site by a certain few individuals man Kilbank must love it. I wonder how much money he makes just from the traffic generated from these ridiculous posts.

P.S and before you say it.. I actually do Love Canada... but in a realist way. I'd never try to push my beliefs on others. It's a multi-cultural country everyone.

there is a distinct difference between patriotism and thinking your country is better than all others. I can't believe that thinking your country is great has ever started a war. Wars happen when you start thinking that your country is better than others.

The crap that get's posted on this site by a certain few individuals man Kilbank must love it.
    On the contrary. I definately do not want threads that degenerate into pissing contests.

There are a few individuals who do walk the tight rope with the rules. If you see above there was a blanket warning issued in post 71. It would have been earlier, if I had seen it earlier. Since then all have behaved. Those who got involved know that the next digression into flame wars will be dealt with via a temporary or permanent ban. Nuff said.
    I wonder how much money he makes just from the traffic generated from these ridiculous posts.
    As for making a bundle on active threads, here's a dose of reality...1,066 views over the life of this thread is a drop in the bucket compared to the 11,000 page views the forum gets daily. That does not include the rest of the site. These threads are NOT gold.

Also... Our Ad rates are low, and annual. They are not directly tied to traffic, and our traffic is huge, so the benefit of this approach is to our advertisers.

So the answer to your question is $0. Sorry if that does not validate your imagination.

Still the most active thread on the board, and it's not even hockey season yet...

Dan

Don't be too proud Dan. As I said traffic isn't everything.

You know that you stepped over the line again. I cannot let that continue anymore. I think you bring a lot of insight to the hockey discussions but you must stop insulting other visitors. Unfortunately I expect it's just a matter of time until you go over the top again. Please prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Don't be too proud Dan. As I said traffic isn't everything.

You know that you stepped over the line again. I cannot let that continue anymore. I think you bring a lot of insight to the hockey discussions but you must stop insulting other visitors. Unfortunately I expect it's just a matter of time until you go over the top again. Please prove me wrong.
    I didn't insult anyone Dan, please re-read the thread. In fact, I simply pointed out I would not be drawn into infantile pissing matches in this thread by those who would try to get me into it.

In fact, all things considered, I'd say my conduct in this thread was fairly innocuous. Maybe I'm missing something...

Dan

Well I must be reading some other forum...
    Firstly, to the "uber-patriot" who suggested Hasek would be shot for not removing his helmet for the US Anthem, get your head checked....Who in the hell do you think you are?
    You need to learn about courtesy and respect if anyone man... Your tone is constantly sarcastic and condescending... Consider changing your name to Chivas Regal.
    Maybe if you could write in full sentences, I could understand your posts.
    and their inadequate grasp of Ms Manners (which seems to be an appropriate site for you to have bookmarked).
    You're right, even in complete sentences you wouldn't make sense...
    These are called insults. If you can't knock it off you will find your access removed.

Thread Information