CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

What's with Hasek??!!

I could not believe it, i was at the game last nite, and when the national anthem came on, he still had his bucket on. I could not believe it, he was the only player who had not taken his helmet off. It was the most disrespectful thing i have ever seen, its not like the game was in the States!! This is the country that he plays in, regardless of where he was born!!

He is making it really hard to like him, WOW!!!!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Maybe he was just having a bad hair day!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    If that's the most disrespectful thing you've ever seen, then you must lead a pretty sheltered existence.

So what? It's probably part of his pre-game ritual. I'm as Canadian as they come and I don't find it disrespectful. It's not like he's standing at centre ice p*ssing in the team logo, or burning the flag. Playing the national anthem prior to professional sporting events is an outdated notion anyway. With so many players coming from countries other than Canada, it doesn't make sense. Playing anthems at the Olympics and other world events is a different story, because you are there representing your country.

If my team had a goalie that got psyched up by doing snow angels in the crease before the game, and it greatly increased our chances of winning the cup, I'd be down there doing snow angels with him.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I could not believe it, i was at the game last nite, and when the national anthem came on, he still had his bucket on. I could not believe it, he was the only player who had not taken his helmet off. It was the most disrespectful thing i have ever seen, its not like the game was in the States!! This is the country that he plays in, regardless of where he was born!!

He is making it really hard to like him, WOW!!!!
    The only way he should be FORCED to take it off is if they play the anthem of every player in the game. This is not an international stage, and quite frankly I find the anthems a huge waste of time. Lyndon Slewidge is one of only 4 or 5 people who do their anthems any justice anyways...

Watch the bench during any of the anthems. You have Canadian guys picking their noses, adjusting equipment, spitting... Don't blow it out of proportion.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    I've got to agree with both of the above posts, especially the point about how many countries are represented. Domenik Hasek is not Canadian, it's his choice as far as I'm concerned.

The one thing I don't understand in what was originally said is that you're finding it tough to like the guy.

I personally can't think of anything he has done to not like him. He's worked his tail off so far and is playing excellent, he's been friendly to all and the whole team supports him.

Quote Originally Posted by wopstergolf
    The one thing I don't understand in what was originally said is that you're finding it tough to like the guy.

I personally can't think of anything he has done to not like him. He's worked his tail off so far and is playing excellent, he's been friendly to all and the whole team supports him.
    I'm glad to hear your approaching Hasek differently than a lot of people do. He has a reputation (earned or not) as being a coach-killer, a self-gratifying media person, and above all a poor teammate. The latter seems to be a fan-driven perception, as almost anyone other than maybe Curtis "Who Jo?" Joseph seems to find Hasek an intense competitor and asset to their lockerroom... We all know how CuJo is playing now, so his opinion doesn't matter much.

I'm convinced that Hasek is one of the more likeable personalities in pro sports, but of course, I get to follow him on Czech news sites and stuff too, where he's more candid about life in the NHL....

Dan

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    The only way he should be FORCED to take it off is if they play the anthem of every player in the game. This is not an international stage, and quite frankly I find the anthems a huge waste of time. Lyndon Slewidge is one of only 4 or 5 people who do their anthems any justice anyways...

Watch the bench during any of the anthems. You have Canadian guys picking their noses, adjusting equipment, spitting... Don't blow it out of proportion.

Dan
    Good gawd Dan. I'm agreeing with you on the 4-5 but Lyndon Slewidge is not one of them. something tells me if he sang in Toronto you'd think he was a slug.

Welcome back......

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    He could be a total d*** and if he wins no one will care at all, he'll be a hero here. As if this town hasn't been crying for a big game goalie for 5 years now. But it doesn't seem as if he's a d*** anyway.

Who cares if he doesn't take his helmet off for an anthem at a sporting event? Why is that disrespectful? What's a hat got to do with respect? That's an American thing anyway, not Canadian. Taking the hat off is their tradition, I'm not bashing it, it's just not ours. I'd love it if we didn't have the anthems played, what do they have to do with professional sports?

On a seperate note, looks like the fans are going to be tough to win back after the lockout, eh? 19,000+ for an exhibition game. Will be interesting to see the traditional vs non-traditional market attendence trends as the season progresses.

I don't know, i also thing it is outdated, but what does that have to do with anything. When i visited Europe, i stood up for everytime i heard any of their anthems, no matter if it was Romania or Italy. It just is a sign of respect to take off your hat. Ya he isn't Canadian, but he is living in Canada, working in Canada!! I think this is just a Canadian feeling. If this happened in USA Hasek's face would be plastered all over ESPN!!

Just my take, regardless of whether they should still play the anthem or not, its our anthem, it doesn't take a lot of energy to show respect, and personally i don't know many people that get "jacked" up over not respecting another countries anthem!!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Great to see so much pride in our country and traditions. I have been at events where people haven't taken off there hats during national athems and I have told them to take their F** hat off. That athem and the flag it represents means more then just a starting point to a stupid hockey game. You are taking you hat off to show respect for your country, your fellow countrymen and the men/women who have given there lives to give you the freedom to even question crap like this. I think Hasek and all players, fans and who ever should take off the hats/helmets, stop picking their noses, stop spitting and maybe even sing along if its your athem. If not show some respect and stand there quietly. They may not play every athem, they don't have all day, but it is because of tradition of the league. I am sure they don't play the Canadian athem in Europe as a sign of respect for giving them the game. The Olympics are good for that. If you don't like the athems beng played at an NHL game, them stay home or if your a player, move back home. Don't disrespect my country because I wouldn't not disrespect yours.
    Frankly it makes me sick to my stomach to hear Canadians speak this way.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Amazing you can type with vomit all over your keyboard. What does an anthem have to do with professional sports? What does a hat have to do with an anthem? Why is wearing a hat disrespectful? Oh oh, there's the anthem, better take my hat off, I'll keep my beer in the other hand though, or is that disrespectful too? I wonder if my shoe laces are tied in an anthem appropriate manner? It's sooooooooo confusing...

Playing the anthem at professional sporting events only trivializes our nation's symbols and institutions. Save it for when it's meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Amazing you can type with vomit all over your keyboard. What does an anthem have to do with professional sports? What does a hat have to do with an anthem? Why is wearing a hat disrespectful? Oh oh, there's the anthem, better take my hat off, I'll keep my beer in the other hand though, or is that disrespectful too? I wonder if my shoe laces are tied in an anthem appropriate manner? It's sooooooooo confusing...

Playing the anthem at professional sporting events only trivializes our nation's symbols and institutions. Save it for when it's meaningful.
    What does it matter where it is played!!!!!! I don't care if i hear the national anthem at a Rememberance parade or at a barber shop. I stop what i am doing and respect the flag.

This is where MY country amazes me, if you said that in USA you might get shot. Although i don't really agree with anything that Americans do, i do respect them for loving their country!

Most Canadians, including obviously a lot on this board don't give a crap about this country!!

The context makes no difference. Are you telling me that on Canada Day, you hear the national anthem and don't act acordingly?? What is the difference in a hockey arena?? National Anthem in a shopping mall or at Parliament, its meaning doesn't change based on context and location!! I am glad to at least see one person agree that the anthem means something!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Great to see so much pride in our country and traditions. I have been at events where people haven't taken off there hats during national athems and I have told them to take their F** hat off. That athem and the flag it represents means more then just a starting point to a stupid hockey game. You are taking you hat off to show respect for your country, your fellow countrymen and the men/women who have given there lives to give you the freedom to even question crap like this. I think Hasek and all players, fans and who ever should take off the hats/helmets, stop picking their noses, stop spitting and maybe even sing along if its your athem. If not show some respect and stand there quietly. They may not play every athem, they don't have all day, but it is because of tradition of the league. I am sure they don't play the Canadian athem in Europe as a sign of respect for giving them the game. The Olympics are good for that. If you don't like the athems beng played at an NHL game, them stay home or if your a player, move back home. Don't disrespect my country because I wouldn't not disrespect yours.

OK, maybe I am old school but I have to agree. When the anthem is played, stand up, take your hat off and respect it. This goes whether it is here in Canada or if you happen to be in another country when their anthem is played. Personally, I choke back a tear or two whenever I hear the anthem - and I sing along with Lyndon.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    What does a hat have to do with an anthem? Why is wearing a hat disrespectful? Oh oh, there's the anthem, better take my hat off, I'll keep my beer in the other hand though, or is that disrespectful too? I wonder if my shoe laces are tied in an anthem appropriate manner?
    Ever notice at the end of a golf match the players take off theirs hats to shake hands? Much like holding a door for someone, or giving a woman your seat on the subway, it's a show of respect that is sorely lacking from today's society, and it's something that seems to be prevalent among pro athletes.

Like when?
    I can't think of a more appropriate time to play the Canadian national anthem than before a hockey game.

Firstly, to the "uber-patriot" who suggested Hasek would be shot for not removing his helmet for the US Anthem, get your head checked. He played in Buffalo and Detroit for the majority of his career.

Second, to the absurd notion that European nations should play the Canadian anthem (at all), simply because a sport was invented here (gee, wonder where the guy was originally from....). You can't be serious....

Thirdly, it's nice you feel so much national pride that you're willing to tell someone to take their F-ing hat off. I'd laugh in your face if you ever told me to do that. Who in the hell do you think you are?

Finally, in response to the comment of "if you don't like anthems at NHL games, stay at home"... Stop bogarting that reefer and pass it this way. YOU stay at home. Have a little flag party or something at your house and leave the sports viewing to people who care about the game, not where it's being played...

Man, this thread is great to wake up to... Haven't laughed this hard in a while....

Oh, and last I checked, I paid my $2.50 for the subway too. Let them get more on the road if they want everyone to have a seat...

Dan

PS - Again, if you want anthems and expect Hasek to remove his lid, play Kde Domov Muj in the medley as well.... And Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles in case Marco Sturm is in the building....

Just to add to what you said, as far as i remember, i have been to games in Detroit, Hasek did take his helmet off. But you are absolutely right, there are tons of people in big cities that don't have respect for an anthem, and more importantly for woman. Next thing you are gonna tell me Dan is that you would slam the door in the face of a wheelchair person!!! It is definetly not a necessity but some people have respect for others, whether that be a old lady on a subway or the millions of people who served for us in the war.

My theory is this, for how many people fought for us in all of the wars, this is really a small thing to do, because in the end that's what the anthem is. Its showing respect to the country and those who have fought to keep it the way it is.

I am just so amazed that people are like this in Ottawa. I am only 22 and was never patriotic until I moved to Ottawa. I guess people should take a trip to Iraq, before they can understand what kind of great country we have.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Firstly, to the "uber-patriot" who suggested Hasek would be shot for not removing his helmet for the US Anthem, get your head checked. He played in Buffalo and Detroit for the majority of his career.

Second, to the absurd notion that European nations should play the Canadian anthem (at all), simply because a sport was invented here (gee, wonder where the guy was originally from....). You can't be serious....

Thirdly, it's nice you feel so much national pride that you're willing to tell someone to take their F-ing hat off. I'd laugh in your face if you ever told me to do that. Who in the hell do you think you are?

Finally, in response to the comment of "if you don't like anthems at NHL games, stay at home"... Stop bogarting that reefer and pass it this way. YOU stay at home. Have a little flag party or something at your house and leave the sports viewing to people who care about the game, not where it's being played...

Man, this thread is great to wake up to... Haven't laughed this hard in a while....

Oh, and last I checked, I paid my $2.50 for the subway too. Let them get more on the road if they want everyone to have a seat...

Dan

PS - Again, if you want anthems and expect Hasek to remove his lid, play Kde Domov Muj in the medley as well.... And Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles in case Marco Sturm is in the building....
    This rant is such a pile of manure it's hard to know where to begin, but here goes:

To remove your hat during a country's national anthem is simply a show of respect. Unfortunately, there are a few "adults" who never mature past the ideology of a confrontational adolescent, hence the "I'd laugh in your face if you told me to do that" attitude.
    Giving up your seat on the bus, or subway to a woman, or someone who is elderly is simply a matter of courtesy. Many seniors have a difficult time standing while riding on a moving vehicle. If you can't understand this, or do understand this, but just don't care, then I feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    This rant is such a pile of manure it's hard to know where to begin, but here goes:

To remove your hat during a country's national anthem is simply a show of respect. Unfortunately, there are a few "adults" who never mature past the ideology of a confrontational adolescent, hence the "I'd laugh in your face if you told me to do that" attitude.
    Giving up your seat on the bus, or subway to a woman, or someone who is elderly is simply a matter of courtesy. Many seniors have a difficult time standing while riding on a moving vehicle. If you can't understand this, or do understand this, but just don't care, then I feel sorry for you.
    Before you start crying, check the reference to my post about "laughing in the face of"... The original post reads: "I have been at events where people haven't taken off there hats during national athems and I have told them to take their F** hat off."

Who is being adolescent and confrontational? That attitude is precisely why I'd laugh.

As for women on a bus, we're well past the age when women even WANT you to stand up for them, as they are not some pitiable weaker species. As for crippled people or whatnot, I'm not a barbarian, I'm a realist. If I pay $2.50 to board a publicly subsidized vehicle, I believe I should be de facto guaranteed a seat. If you disagree, then lower my fares, or put more buses on the road... I think you'd find that in my daily dealings I am the pinnacle of etiquette and good social grace, but there is a context for that as well, which is not a hockey game.

I'm sure you were up in arms when they boo-ed the US anthem in Montreal too... Most Canadians I talked to applauded that, which is very pathetic indeed. Nobody's asking you to salute the American flag, but don't boo it either.

Dan

I think this might be my last post on this subject, so here goes.

Dan from what i have heard, you are mostly on this site just to disturb sh** and i understand that this is your job.

But all i can say to your last post is, WOW!!

No offense to you, but i really hope that you are one in a million when it comes to your attitude. Its your opinion so i will not argue with you anymore, but WOW!!! I really hope you live in a big city and never move to a little city where these "courtesies and respects" are expected. I would suggest that with that attitude, you should move to Toronto, you should be able to find similar theories on life.

As for women on a bus, we're well past the age when women even WANT you to stand up for them,
    Dan
    I can guarantee you that if you offered your seat to an elderly or pregnant woman they would be grateful, but you'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    I think this might be my last post on this subject, so here goes.

Dan from what i have heard, you are mostly on this site just to disturb sh** and i understand that this is your job.

But all i can say to your last post is, WOW!!

No offense to you, but i really hope that you are one in a million when it comes to your attitude. Its your opinion so i will not argue with you anymore, but WOW!!! I really hope you live in a big city and never move to a little city where these "courtesies and respects" are expected. I would suggest that with that attitude, you should move to Toronto, you should be able to find similar theories on life.
    What exactly is this about? What attitude? Quite frankly I personally remove my hat for any anthem, I just don't believe in imposing it on anyone. Getting up on a bus? Rarely do I get a seat (I walk pretty much everywhere as a result, save the $2.50 and unpleasant odours), so it's never an issue...

Funny you mention Toronto, since that is the last place I'd want to go. I'm actually a very small-town minded person. Many call me a "redneck"...

I don't have a "job" on this forum, nor do I take it on myself to start crap with other posters. I just post off the cuff, which is what the internet is for, IMO.

I have no beef with 99% of this forum personally or in real life.

Dan

I can guarantee you that if you offered your seat to an elderly or pregnant woman they would be grateful, but you'll never know.

Sad... I'll never know... I'm such an a-hole... blah blah blah... Do I need to write the "exceptions" to each friggin case in point?

Dan

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

Hasek lid

I usually don't interfere in these kind of thread but Dan I just had to say my mind as your comment made me mad. I am proud to be a Canadian, I am in the military and have been all over the world and let me tell you that we live in a great country and when you have been to other countries you realize that. I see that you are proud to be Tcheque and great for you, I don't disrespect your country so do the same to mine. We open our borders to everyone and don't ask much in return, just a little respect for our flag and our anthem. I am so sick and tired of people from other countries showing no respect to our flag and country. We did not ask you to come here, you choose Canada as it is a fair and beautiful country, the least that they could do is to be respectfull to the way we live. When I go to the state or anywhere else for that matter I try to adapt to their way of living and thinking. When in Rome do like the Roman. I am done venting for today (all that for a hockey helmet!!!)
    No hardfeeling
    Claude

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Okay Shivas, daveandyk and anyone else who thinks this way, tell me where not removing one's headgear means that someone has less respect for their country, or less national pride (interesting, considering that the subject of this thread isn't even Canadian), than someone who does? And don't say "because it just is", I want to hear you justify it.

There are two reasons why I ask this question. 1) It is considered impolite in society to wear a hat indoors, yet those of you who remove them for the anthems put them right back on again when they're done. 2) Since Lyndon Slewidge has been mentioned, here is a man who sings our anthem with energy and conviction matched by few anywhere, yet he wears his hat while singing it. According to your argument, that makes him disrespectful. And don't tell me "it's part of his uniform" because so is Hasek's helmet part of his.

Take a look around the arena next time you're there for a game, do any of the Ottawa police remove their hats during the anthem? No. Does that make them disrespectful? I highly doubt it.

There are many things that are more disrespectful going on in this country every day than wearing a hat (or helmet) during an anthem. Put it in perspective.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Claude, I respect the flag and anthem. I just don't think you can impose it on people in a BUSINESS context unless it's in the military (for ex). Should they say the lord's prayer at hockey games while we're at it?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Okay Shivas, daveandyk and anyone else who thinks this way, tell me where not removing one's headgear means that someone has less respect for their country, or less national pride (interesting, considering that the subject of this thread isn't even Canadian), than someone who does? And don't say "because it just is", I want to hear you justify it.

There are two reasons why I ask this question. 1) It is considered impolite in society to wear a hat indoors, yet those of you who remove them for the anthems put them right back on again when they're done. 2) Since Lyndon Slewidge has been mentioned, here is a man who sings our anthem with energy and conviction matched by few anywhere, yet he wears his hat while singing it. According to your argument, that makes him disrespectful. And don't tell me "it's part of his uniform" because so is Hasek's helmet part of his.

Take a look around the arena next time you're there for a game, do any of the Ottawa police remove their hats during the anthem? No. Does that make them disrespectful? I highly doubt it.

There are many things that are more disrespectful going on in this country every day than wearing a hat (or helmet) during an anthem. Put it in perspective.
    YAY LOB WEDGE!!!!

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

Hasek

The ottawa police do not remove their hat for the same reason that the military does not remove their hat either as they are to keep them on and salute during the anthem. Just to let you know.
    And Dan I don't want to impose the removal of the hat to anyone during the playing of the anthem but it is just something that bothers me as a member of the Canadian armed forces. That's all.
    Claude

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    It disappoints me greatly that many in today's society have lost their manners, respect and principles. Doing the right thing still does count for something.

Examples of doing the right thing:

* take your hat off for a national anthem - in whatever country you are in

* give up your seat on a bus or subway to someone who needs it more

* attend Remembrance Day Ceremonies

* don't disrepect anybody's flag

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    tell me where not removing one's headgear means that someone has less respect for their country, or less national pride (interesting, considering that the subject of this thread isn't even Canadian), than someone who does? And don't say "because it just is", I want to hear you justify it.
    It is a show of respect and courtesy that does not need to be "justified". It's up to you if you want to remove your hat or not, but when I go indoors, or am standing for a national anthem, I choose to remove my hat. You choose not to.
    All our actions, or inactions as the case may be, speak to what kind of person you are.

Since you really need to brush up on your hat etiquette, here you go :

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product829.html

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    It disappoints me greatly that many in today's society have lost their manners, respect and principles. Doing the right thing still does count for something.

Examples of doing the right thing:

* take your hat off for a national anthem - in whatever country you are in

* give up your seat on a bus or subway to someone who needs it more

* attend Remembrance Day Ceremonies

* don't disrepect anybody's flag
    Again I ask, how is this disrespectful?

Thread Information