100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Brandon Bochenski

What are the Senators going to do with this kid?

So far, he has 8 points in the pre-season in 3 games while playing on a line with Spezza (10 points) and Heatley (8 points). He played on a line with Spezza last year in Binghamton and scored 70 points. Last night, he had a hat trick against the Leafs for a 4 point game (Sens won 7-4 YAY!! )

Anyway, if (and when) he makes the team should the Sens keep the Bochenski/Spezza/Heatley line intact or stick him on the fourth line and hope for the best?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I say go with it. If it works don't fix it, type of thing. I doesn't matter if your a third line or fourth line on paper, if your putting the puck in the net like a first or second line guy then thats where you belong. I also think that a lot of his success has to do with playing with Spezza and Heatley. Spezza is a natural play maker and now that he has the confidence and the minutes, we are all going to love this kid in Ottawa.
    Last edited by dbleber; 09-26-2005 at 10:30 AM. Reason: To early to spell!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Bochenski is not a third or fourth line player. He's an offensive talent, and has been theoretically penned in to a second line position since the day he was drafted. This lins is doing better than just playing well, it's dominating. Bochenski's the guy getting the goals, but that will even out... Spezza's going to be a serious threat for the scoring title this season. Bochenski could contend for the Calder (if he qualifies). Not bad for a 7th round pick.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Bochenski is not a third or fourth line player. He's an offensive talent, and has been theoretically penned in to a second line position since the day he was drafted.
    I'm pretty sure that Spezza and Heatley will be on the first line. If Bochenski plays with them it will bump guys like Havlat and Alfredsson to the second line.

I guess that I'm just not used to seeing rookies playing on the top line....

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    What are the Senators going to do with this kid?
    He has to be either a first or second liner.
    There's no way they can send him down after his preseason performance, and to keep him up but use him only as a third or fourth liner would probably hinder his development. Surprises like Bochenski (at least I was surprised) are the best part of the pre-season.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I just hope all you Sens fans aren't getting carried away with his performance. If I am wrong, I sit corrected. But against whom has he put up these numbers? Generally during the preseason teams field most of their fringe players that are not sure bets to make the team. I have not checked line ups of all Sens preseason games so for all I know he has been playing against the top players and goalies of every team. If so then keep him with the big club. But I highly doubt it. The regular season is a different story. Teams are not fielding half rookie rosters or that goalie they want to look at to see if he should be their farm team backup. I would just hate to see this kid struggle and then have everybody jump of that band wagon.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I just hope all you Sens fans aren't getting carried away with his performance. If I am wrong, I sit corrected. But against whom has he put up these numbers? Generally during the preseason teams field most of their fringe players that are not sure bets to make the team. I have not checked line ups of all Sens preseason games so for all I know he has been playing against the top players and goalies of every team. If so then keep him with the big club. But I highly doubt it. The regular season is a different story. Teams are not fielding half rookie rosters or that goalie they want to look at to see if he should be their farm team backup. I would just hate to see this kid struggle and then have everybody jump of that band wagon.
    Who was Toronto missing from the lineup last night? Belfour? He'll be hurt soon. Lindros? Same. O'Neil? He might have been missing? Allison? He's hurt now? Aki Berg? hahaha

It will be interesting to see what happens during the season, but it's good to see some people excited about things. It was also interesting to listen to the TSN hockey guys on the TEAM 1200 who all figure that on paper Ottawa and Phili are the favourites in the East and Ottawa the favourite to make it to the finals this year.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I have not checked line ups of all Sens preseason games so for all I know he has been playing against the top players and goalies of every team.
    I posted the lineups for last nights game in another thread but here it is again.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/ES010061.HTM

You also make it sound like Bochenski is excelling because he's playing against players who are trying to get a spot on their respective teams' roster. Well, so is he!! He's trying to make an impact like every other rookie in the league. Only thing that's different is that he's actually making that impact!

I wasn't refering only to last nights game, but all preseason games. As well, listening to TSN this morning, Ottawa is a favourtite of the analysts as well. That would be some series for the Eastern Conference title, Philly vs Ottawa. I would watch that series for sure.

I am glad hockey is back and people are excited and not shunning the game. But one game a season does not make. It just happens way too often in sports nowadays. Some young gun has a hot game and next thing you know eveyone is calling him a first or second liner. He's young, let him put in some time on the third or fourth line. On a team like Ottawa that usually rolls four lines he'll get enough playing time to prove himself. He pans out give him more opportunities. I'm just saying don't get too hyped up before we know what he is really made of....remember someone by the name of Alexandre Daigle
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Geoff, here is the general consensus on Bochenski:

The guy dominated for UND in the NCAA. He's an offensive talent, possibly of an elite level. He has never faced top competition.

Now, he has 8 points in 3 exhibition games... You can talk about the quality of the rosters he plays against all you want, but HE has 8 points in 3 games, nobody else does (that I'm aware of)... Clearly he's doing something right.

Now, the problem with playing him as a development project is that you're risking to create the same problem they did with Bonk. They'll use him in limited situations, normally as a checker, and his numbers will drop. Once his numbers go down, his "ego" will suffer, basically because he's used to being a points guy. Vermette is a similar story, only he still has time...

I'd say you use him on the line he's tearing up the exhibition schedule with, and if that stops working (see Jason King last season), you demote from there. Ultimately, with Bochenski you aren't risking much, since he was a 7th round pick (200+ overall I think).

Dan

Dan, I agree with you that it is one way to deal with him. I just think that with new coaching (not so much preaching of defence first) even if he was to play on the third line I don't think his development would be that hampered. If Murray lets the players do what they are good at (please,please,please) I don't think you'll see the same result as with Bonk. Only time will tell, and if this kid pans out it will be another weapon in the Senators arsenal.

On a side note I really hope the rules will be called the way the league is pushing them to be. If so, good skating teams like Ottawa, TB and Calgary are going to be really scary to play against. Should make for an exciting season. Game on.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Now, the problem with playing him as a development project is that you're risking to create the same problem they did with Bonk. They'll use him in limited situations, normally as a checker, and his numbers will drop. Once his numbers go down, his "ego" will suffer, basically because he's used to being a points guy. Vermette is a similar story, only he still has time...
    Dan
    I agree with you on all points regarding Bonchenski, but wouldn't expect a scenario similar to Bonk's to unfold. The expectations heaped on Bonk were beyond unrealistic. He was fantastic as a 17 year old playing against men when he was in Vegas. When that dominance didn't translate into the NHL, Bonk, undeservedly became the town whipping boy.
    I think fans will (hopefully) give Bonchenski & Vermette a better chance to develop. I think being a 7th round pick works in Bonchenski's favour. (does this guy need a nickname or what!)

Now, he has 8 points in 3 exhibition games... You can talk about the quality of the rosters he plays against all you want, but HE has 8 points in 3 games, nobody else does (that I'm aware of)...
    Well, Spezza has 10 (first in the league) and Heatley also has 8 (tied for third)

All of whom have played 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    Well, Spezza has 10 (first in the league) and Heatley also has 8 (tied for third)

All of whom have played 3 games.
    I meant among rookies...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I agree with you on all points regarding Bonchenski, but wouldn't expect a scenario similar to Bonk's to unfold. The expectations heaped on Bonk were beyond unrealistic. He was fantastic as a 17 year old playing against men when he was in Vegas. When that dominance didn't translate into the NHL, Bonk, undeservedly became the town whipping boy.
    I think fans will (hopefully) give Bonchenski & Vermette a better chance to develop. I think being a 7th round pick works in Bonchenski's favour. (does this guy need a nickname or what!)
    Well, I should clarify that Bochenski would likely have gone a lot higher in the draft had he not had some legal problems (accused of printing counterfeit money)...

Dan

Well, I should clarify that Bochenski would likely have gone a lot higher in the draft had he not had some legal problems (accused of printing counterfeit money)...

Dan

What?! Is this guy some type of "problem child"?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    It's one of those problems that every GM likes to have, too much talent.

The Sens need to break away from the old 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th line mentality. Teams that concentrate more on a balanced attack, especially with the new rules, will ultimately be more successful. With "more" ice and fewer "obstructions" it'll be harder to double-shift your big guns because they'll run out of gas too fast. Spread them out and focus on PP & PK combinations. That's where the game is won & lost.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I meant among rookies...

Dan
    OOPS!!

OK then.

Bochenski is tied with Andrew Hutchinson with 8 points (Hutchinson played 5 games however).

The rest of the top rookies are:

Thomas Vanek (7 points, 4 games)
    Ryan Getzlaf (6 points, 5 games)
    Corey Perry (6 points, 5 games)
    Mike Richards (6 points, 3 games)

Gee, where's this Crosby kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    What?! Is this guy some type of "problem child"?
    I don't think so... I was not able to find any real details about the allegations, but he was like 17 or something when this happened... Wouldn't lose any sleep over it, as from what I have heard (from guys who went to college with him) that he's a pretty straight kid.

Dan

I think he was just trying to get his hands on his millions a little too soon..

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I don't think that the Sens have a first or second line. They have two unbelievable lines. You got Spezza, Heatley and Boch; then you got Alfie, Havlat and Fischer i believe. Not to mention that the other 2 lines aren't too bad either

Bochenski / Spezza / Heatley
    Havlat / Smolinski / Alfie
    Schaefer / Fisher / Varada
    Vermette / Martins / Neil

That's my best guess to now... I believe Patrick Eaves could make this club too...

Dan

I don't think Eaves is gonna make the team this year, from what i have heard on interviews with Muckler and Murray, he is gonna get sent down, but will see some play this year.

As too who else is on the team, you forgot Schaffer, who will take the 3rd line and put Neil on the 4th.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Bochenski / Spezza / Heatley
    Havlat / Smolinski / Alfie
    Varada / Fisher / Neil
    Vermette / ?? / ??

That's my best guess to now... I believe Patrick Eaves could make this club too...

Dan
    hmm...forgot Schaeffer in the mix....3rd line maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    hmm...forgot Schaeffer in the mix....3rd line maybe?
    Haha, was editing while you posted this...

Dan

For the last spot on the forwards, i think it will come down to Martins, or Hamel

As for D-men, what do you guys think?

I was thinking:

Chara/Redden
    Volchenkov/Phillips
    Pothier/Meszaros

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    As for D-men, what do you guys think?

I was thinking:

Chara/Redden
    Volchenkov/Phillips
    Pothier/Meszaros
    Not sure Meszaros will start his season in Ottawa, although he definitely has the skills for it. Lance Ward will likely see some playing time, and Tomas Malec is a very good offensive defenceman with powerplay potential. Christoph Schubert doesn't get nearly enough press considering how solid he is...

Dan
    PS - I expect a trade involving Wade Redden at some point this season, to ensure Chara is re-signed long-term... The realistic probability of keeping both and remaining under the cap with the talent up front is very slim...

you are probably right that they will be trading Redden at some point this year. Its too bad because he is such a fan favourite here in Ottawa and has been here a long time.

This is a good question for the Senators that i am asking, but what should they get for Redden? What i am really asking, is what do the Senators need?? Maybe a few prospects on the point, but really this team is solid and have some great prospects as well.

I would love to see them get Coliacovo (couldn't spell his name) but firstly they are not gonna trade with a division team. I just love this kid and wish that i could cheer for him, but as you know i can't do that

I don't think so... I was not able to find any real details about the allegations, but he was like 17 or something when this happened... Wouldn't lose any sleep over it, as from what I have heard (from guys who went to college with him) that he's a pretty straight kid.

Dan
    Found out more about the charges... hehehe... Crafty kid!

• WITH HIS performance in Ottawa's camp, RW Brandon Bochenski looks like he's finally ready to make some real money. The leading scorer in the USHL in his draft year, Bochenski's stock dropped precipitously after he pled guilty to a charge of felony aggravated forgery in 2001. He and a friend printed 120 sheets of $5, $10 and $20 bills on a home computer and used them near his Minnesota home. A more mature Bochenski is now making the Sens look clever for selecting him with the 223rd overall pick.
    Dan

Thread Information