100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Big Break IV

Putter wilfredo is on a distinguished road

TJ is the best on the American Side

There is no doubt in my mind. If you have been actually paying attention to the show, TJ has def shown the most all around game. Especially under the pressure. He has not hit a single bad shot under pressure. I would take this guy any day. He is the man.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    I think everyone is overly critical they are good golfers look at their resumes and the fact that they are on the show.

Professionals are Professionals and who knows what kinda ups and downs they had before they made it on tour.

Here is a test:

When you ask someone if you can play through; do you get alittle nervous teeing off infront of them? (I do).

Now imagine teeing off infront of a whole video crew that is going to broadcast everything worldwide....

I think we're overly critical especially when you factor in wind etc...
    Ya, I was with you, UNTIL:

David kept saying he was great, and then he OVERSWINGS like an AMATEUR and can't even get ONE ball out of 5 in a 60 yard grid. Then Paul steps up and takes 3 easy swings, 9 points.

Then in the 180 yard test, it takes them 4 balls (min) ...come on...all of them?

Its not like they're strangers to pressure. They've played a lot of tourneys, and Warren was the British Amateur champ...

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Are you back with me now after this weekend?

For those of you who played Sunday (Even worse than Saturday) can you not relate better now to how the conditions probably are over there in Scotland? Wind was a major factor that ruined my score; I"m sure the same is happening especially to the Americans over there.

Nope. There is a comparison on the big break: Paul stepped up and hit three smooth drivers to hit the grid each time, David stepped up and wailed at it like he just took up golf and missed the grid 3 times. That's lame.

6 Iron bbbeam is on a distinguished road
    I know the Golf Channel show BB IV a couple of times through the week, so for those who missed last night's episode and are planning to catch it later in the week.. don't make a big effort - it was just a re-hash show and not the new episode where the guys go to St. Andrews.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Depressing!

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbeam
    I know the Golf Channel show BB IV a couple of times through the week, so for those who missed last night's episode and are planning to catch it later in the week.. don't make a big effort - it was just a re-hash show and not the new episode where the guys go to St. Andrews.
    Geez, I just get used to the "fact" that the GC runs new episodes of BB Tuesdays and 9 PM and then the roll out this recap episode. I'm now second-guessing myself about when new episodes are supposed to air. What are they gonna run the rest of this week, and All-Access version of the recap?

It's not like they don't already have this series in the can already...
    Last edited by 3Jack; 10-24-2005 at 03:59 PM.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I've seen an ad for BB that states new episodes EVERY Tues at 9. I wonder if we are in for a repeat of the second episode this week.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    At least they have been pretty clear for this tuesday (tomorrow). They said new episode, going to mystery location other scottish course.
    Then in newer commercial they admit they are going to st andrews.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by RLaw
    I'm pretty sure I've seen an ad for BB that states new episodes EVERY Tues at 9. I wonder if we are in for a repeat of the second episode this week.
    This is TV-talk: it means IF THERE IS A NEW EPISODE, its first aired on Tuesday at 9.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Decent episode last night. Glad I wasn't putting from the valley of death or having to chip out of that bunker. Man did Mr. Two Gloves ever get lucky playing the 18th for the first time, a truck and a wiff and still managed to get a bogey for a tie. What do they have in store for us next week?
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I was sad to see 2 gloves go home but he did deserve it after the way he played.....What happened to his driver? He hit it so well in the driving comp I thought for sure he would green it last night....oh well. Anyone else think they might have gone and walked over the bridge to enjoy it after the match....focus is an important part of this game after all.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

6 Iron bbbeam is on a distinguished road
    Tommy Two-gloves was my favorite, it is sad to see him go.

I hope the players all knew about the tie-breaker method of going back to the previous challenges before the elimination round.

Maybe Tommy would have buckled down more on that putt in the Road Hole Bunker challenge knowing that it would play a big role in individual elimination tie-breaker later on.

I would have liked to see a putt off or chip off or something between the Paul and Tommy instead of going back to how then did in previous challenge. It was very anti-climatic finish - you tied him - so you win?

Brian

Im very disappointed in this show. Not only are the contestants somewhat poor, but that tie breaker method was ridiculous. Its clear that St Andrews said "No, no, get off the course", and they improvised, because it made ZERO sense.

BO-RING. No more for me.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    This has to be one of the most boring seasons yet! I watch because I want to see golf and thats it. Out of the lot i think that only Thomas or Warren would have any shot at playing at ahigher level

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Im very disappointed in this show. Not only are the contestants somewhat poor, but that tie breaker method was ridiculous. Its clear that St Andrews said "No, no, get off the course", and they improvised, because it made ZERO sense.

BO-RING. No more for me.
    This isn't really the fault of the show though is it? I think they likely were at the mercy of St. Andrews, and took what they could get. I was thinking as they rode the bus to St. Andrews that there was no way they were going to be able to paint those football-style lines on the Road Hole et al, that it would be all by tape measure and score - they likely had a time limit on how long they could be there - perhaps the tie-breaker was improvised for this show because of time restrictions. Just a thought.

As for the contestants - during any version of the BB series there been no more than one or two players who could possibly take their game to the next level. It's been evident early on in each version that there is a huge difference between these "scratch" players, and a high-level tour player (Euro tour, PGA tour, Nationwide tour etc).

I'm an eight capper. A friend of mine is a scratch. There's a huge difference between our games. And there's an even bigger difference between his game and that of a high-level tour player.

Perhaps we expect too much from the participants.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    This isn't really the fault of the show though is it? I think they likely were at the mercy of St. Andrews, and took what they could get. I was thinking as they rode the bus to St. Andrews that there was no way they were going to be able to paint those football-style lines on the Road Hole et al, that it would be all by tape measure and score - they likely had a time limit on how long they could be there - perhaps the tie-breaker was improvised for this show because of time restrictions. Just a thought.

As for the contestants - during any version of the BB series there been no more than one or two players who could possibly take their game to the next level. It's been evident early on in each version that there is a huge difference between these "scratch" players, and a high-level tour player (Euro tour, PGA tour, Nationwide tour etc).

I'm an eight capper. A friend of mine is a scratch. There's a huge difference between our games. And there's an even bigger difference between his game and that of a high-level tour player.

Perhaps we expect too much from the participants.
    No, that St Andrews/play off thing is just a hunch...why have people compete if you suddenly say, "oh by the way, if its a tie, the guy first alphabetically wins." Its a waste of time watching "competitions" set up like that.

My frustration with the show is the total ridiculous lack of talent. And the format is boring me. Essentially, I'm bored. I let my internal bore-meter tell me when enough is enough, and e is e.

Gap Wedge oneputt is on a distinguished road
    They had to be off the course by 10am that day.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Shank city tonight, those shots looked a little too familiar for me. Randall has to be one of the worst players ever on the Big Break, I can't believe he outlasted Bart and Tommy.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Is it me or are the Americans having a lot of coca cola for breakfast? I'm sure I saw four bottles on the breakfast table in last night's episode, and at least one was open.

It looked like there's more bad play to come next week, I am really looking forward to it.

I think the calibre of golfer makes for perfect viewing. Personalities aside, I don't think the show would be as good to watch if every player was a +4. Scrambling bogeys can be fun to watch, and I think the viewer can identify with a shank under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Is it me or are the Americans having a lot of coca cola for breakfast?
    Ha! My wife commented on that very thing last night... perhaps too much coke for breakfast is hampering them - maybe they're poppin' sudafeds too!

When I groused about the caliber of play amongst the particpants in the show, my wife (infintely smarter than I), also commented that if they were really any good, they wouldn't be on the show because they'd have made it already.

BTW, if you want to watch a really good reality show, check out Long Way 'Round - the first two episodes of which were on OLN last night starting at 9 (I TIVO'd the first hour of it)... great show - actor doode Ewan Macgregor and his pal taking a motorcycle trip from London to New York via Eurasia / Canada / USA. The most entertained I've been by television in a very long time - at least the Spanish caddy told Double D to 'shut up and hit the shot' anyway...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    When I groused about the caliber of play amongst the particpants in the show, my wife (infintely smarter than I), also commented that if they were really any good, they wouldn't be on the show because they'd have made it already.
    Ya, but there are better players than these guys who have not made it...

good point... but, maybe they know they're too good for the show...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Tommy 2 gloves with the ice cold up and down to win the match last night was starting to look like the best player on the us side.
    Sakuraba with the mighty foresight! I had to dig up this old thread to shame some of the Tommy-haters!
    Andrew

Thread Information