CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    6 Iron Moose Head is on a distinguished road Moose Head's Avatar

Unhappy End of Year Slump!

Is anyone experiencing an end of year slump? This seems to happen to me every year. It's not that I play too much golf since I only play once a week but I can't hit that freaking golf ball anymore. I played my worst round in over 5 years yesterday. Note that I played Eagle Creek for the first time and from the blues but i don't think i made one nice shot. I should put the clubs away for a bit but I know winter is fast approaching so I have to keep playing. I hate to love this game!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'm actually the opposite right now. About 4-6 weeks ago I was playing horribly. But right now my last five rounds have been 74,77,77,73,74. Can't wait to get out the course again.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Golf is the worst addiction in the world. You truly feel like you never want to play the game again, then wake up the next morning and can't wait to play again.

As for the slump, i feel that i play my best golf at the end of the year. This is just as annoying because i know the season is almost over and wish that i could have played this way at the start of the year and then improved from there!!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Golf is the worst addiction in the world. You truly feel like you never want to play the game again, then wake up the next morning and can't wait to play again.
    I'm afraid this happens to me over 18 holes! Last week I played a round where over the front nine I couldn't hit a shot to save my life. Nothing was working. Then on the back 9 all of a sudden I'm a superstar (for my game), I was 10 shots better on the back 9. I was ready to quit after 9, now I can't wait to get back to the course.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Fall Finish

My game left a lot to be desired for part of the summer. Now I am getting hot again, putter is working well, irons are doing what they should do. Driver is still a little touch and go but I recently changed to a different driver. It only has 7.5 degrre loft so there is not much room for error with it. However I wanted it to lower my ball flight for the windy fall days I will soon experience at my course.

It seems my game is the same every year, I go through a period where I can not score, then all of a sudden my game is back. I tend to think a lot of my poor scoring comes from boredom at my home course, because if I go play somewhere else I usally score within my index.

Either way there is lots of golf left in 2005, we just have to get out there and enjoy it. I have the next two weeks off and I am looking forward to playing at least 10 rounds in those 14 days, maybe 14 rounds
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I too am suffering lately with a slump. I have been adopting the shanks a bit lately, and my last few rounds, although not out of control bad (86, 85, 89, 85) have been actually alot worse than the score shows. I have not been hitting the ball that well lately. My short game around the greens has been iffy, driving the ball horrible, and my longer irons have been a mess--short irons are alright. The good news, I am at the top of the OGT standings, thanks for the help there Morris. Hopefully I can get everything back on track..

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You bet. My last 6 rounds have been particularly un-stellar.

Bad driving, bad irons, bad short game. The only thing that didn't leave me was the putter.

I actually managed to hit the ball halfway decent on Saturday, but couldn't scramble for , so hopefully that was a good sign.

What usually causes this for me is that I get "lazy" around this time of year because I'm playing well and I don't pay attention to my mechanics (grip, stance, posture, etc) and start hitting bad shots, which then starts me spiralling into the abyss. I also spend less time at the range this time of year as well, which doesn't help.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    You bet. My last 6 rounds have been particularly un-stellar.

Bad driving, bad irons, bad short game. The only thing that didn't leave me was the putter.

I actually managed to hit the ball halfway decent on Saturday, but couldn't scramble for , so hopefully that was a good sign.

What usually causes this for me is that I get "lazy" around this time of year because I'm playing well and I don't pay attention to my mechanics (grip, stance, posture, etc) and start hitting bad shots, which then starts me spiralling into the abyss. I also spend less time at the range this time of year as well, which doesn't help.

With a membership I don't go to the range. If there are issues I try to work them out on the course. I don't think I've been to a range since mid/end of April.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I usually have an end of the year slump, mostly because I play less, but with my sporadic playing this summer, I seem to have kept up a better level of play. My handicap is it's lowest ever, sitting at 8.2, and I have to enter my scores from Heritage this weekend, an 87 and a 78.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

6 Iron Moose Head is on a distinguished road Moose Head's Avatar
    Maybe a new club will cheer me up, now only to convince the wife!

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I always have end of the year marvels. The first 3 games and the last 3 games are usually my best, probably because I don't expect to shoot well, and my brain gets out of the way.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I think I'm out of my slump. I played in a tournament on Monday at Manderley (South - Central) with a woman who'd never been on a course before much less hit a golf ball. Our two person scramble score was 68. The highlight of the round included an ace on 8 South - 6 iron from 174 yds. The slump may be disappearing ... finally.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I think I'm out of my slump. I played in a tournament on Monday at Manderley (South - Central) with a woman who'd never been on a course before much less hit a golf ball. Our two person scramble score was 68. The highlight of the round included an ace on 8 South - 6 iron from 174 yds. The slump may be disappearing ... finally.
    Nice, congrats on the Ace, it's expensive doing that in a tournament

And you did pretty well at the Senior Intersectionals. 5 points isn't tooo bad.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

3 Iron TheBananaSlice is on a distinguished road
    I find that my end of year slump usually corresponds with my return to school (darn my education anyways). I've been getting out around 2-3 times a week, but my driver is hit and miss right now. If I can drive the ball decently, my scores are pretty good. But if i start to hit some banana slices then I lose focus and the double bogeys start to appear.

Congrats on the ace mpare. I know my first has got to be coming soon.......

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    End of year slump? Sounds familiar. I took 9 days of ...(darn work) My last 2 rounds have been the worst and second worst of the year. Not to mention the worst round I've shot in at least 10 years. I don't know what I have done but my putter has dissapered only 1 1 putt last time out and it was after a really wasy chip shot. Oh well nice to vent now time to go practice. Hopefully get a couple decent rounds in before the snow flies.
    congrats on the ACE mpare
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    With a membership I don't go to the range. If there are issues I try to work them out on the course. I don't think I've been to a range since mid/end of April.
    I bought a range membership in addition to my course membership this year, with the best intentions to practice practice prac- oh wait! I can go ahead and play right now? Gee..
    I think I've hit about 6 buckets all year.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Head
    Is anyone experiencing an end of year slump? This seems to happen to me every year.
    I am exactly the opposite. Every spring I play absolutely terrible, with rare exceptions. Every fall I generally play my best golf of the season, with rare exceptions. In between, I could be Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde - who knows?
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Booo, I finally have something to contribute to this post. This has been my first summer golfing somewhat seriously. For the most part I averaged in the mid to high 90s and as the summer progressed, I saw my score drop to high 80's and low 90's. My past few rounds have been worse and worse. 85, 86, 90, 94 and 102. The last round was awful. Don't think I managed two decent shots in row, except for #9 in which I managed my first birdie (I don't count the one from the par 3 Capital course). Guess I need to get out and practice more.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! There, now I feel better.

My end of season slump continues to run at warp speed. After playing solid golf pretty much all season, getting the index down from 11.6 to 7.2, I am now fully in the sh!tter.

I haven't scared breaking 80 since late August. At this point the only thing that's going to keep me in the single digits for this season is the fact that the season ends soon.

At first I was a total spaz with the driver, but it looks like I've more or less sorted that out. Now I can't hit my irons.

So, what to do next? Re-shaft them irons! A nice shiny set of Project X 5.5s are drying as I type this. Changed the wedge shafts too. Watch out 70's.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! There, now I feel better.

My end of season slump continues to run at warp speed. After playing solid golf pretty much all season, getting the index down from 11.6 to 7.2, I am now fully in the sh!tter.

I haven't scared breaking 80 since late August. At this point the only thing that's going to keep me in the single digits for this season is the fact that the season ends soon.

At first I was a total spaz with the driver, but it looks like I've more or less sorted that out. Now I can't hit my irons.

So, what to do next? Re-shaft them irons! A nice shiny set of Project X 5.5s are drying as I type this. Changed the wedge shafts too. Watch out 70's.

None of the above. Get on the putting green and practice until you faint

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    my touney season is kinda just getting underway tomorrow. Our team is playing in Kingston tomorrow and then have 4 tourneys in 15 days

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I'm not the only one?
    This is only my second year playing,and toyed with breaking 100 all season long
    (100,101,102 etc..)until the last 3-4 weeks.
    Now i'm scrambleing to get back!(110-120)
    Another round of lessons is in order.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Worst game of the summer last week for me. Although the greens were slick and it was raining.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    None of the above. Get on the putting green and practice until you faint
    I wish putting were the problem, that is easy to fix. I had 32 putts yesterday. Not spectacular, but not too bad.

I put a 5 iron into the water on an easy par 3 after hitting about half the ball with the toe of the club. And I topped a 5W 10 yards from the middle of the fairway, followed by a chunked iron into the water, and on another hole I bladed a pitching wedge into the face of the fairway bunker that was 15 feet in front of me, and so on. Strangely enough, the driver only caused me trouble on one hole.

To say that my ball striking with my irons was bad yesterday is a huge understatement.

I've been thinking putting in the Project X's all season, so yesterday's debacle is as good as excuse as any.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Sounds like my game!
    Reach a par 4 in 2,then 2greenside chips to get on,followed by a 2 put
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Slump update.

Mr. End of year Slump, meet Mr. Project X. SMACK!

Happy to report that my shiny new shafts managed to produce a somewhat tidy 77 today. I only mi one iron all day. Everything else was solid. Balls were happily sailing in the air towards the greens all day. Those that didn't stick, were usually only two or three feet off the putting surface.

So, to those of you still mired in your slump, I suggest a trip to your local clubmaker to outfit you with some new gear.

Two other points.

1. Today was a beautiful day for golf. Thanks Mother Nature.
    2. Project X shafts really are nice. They have a different feel/sound than regular Rifles. Hard to describe really, but if you hit the ball hard, take a look at these guys.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I am experiencing the same damned slump too. This is my first full season playing and for a good stretch there I was improving constantly and ended up with my season best 95 at Pakenham (Lake/Island). But since then the fortunes have been reversed.

This past weekend I ended up shooting a 102 at Lombard Glen. Of the 18 holes, I 1 putted one, 2 putted two, 4 putted 1 and ther rest were all 3putts.
    On #10 it only took me two shots to hit the green but I ended up 4 putting. From an Eagle putt to bogie!!!!

Everything seems to be giving me problems right now.

Slump update.

Mr. End of year Slump, meet Mr. Project X. SMACK!

Happy to report that my shiny new shafts managed to produce a somewhat tidy 77 today. I only mi one iron all day. Everything else was solid. Balls were happily sailing in the air towards the greens all day. Those that didn't stick, were usually only two or three feet off the putting surface.

So, to those of you still mired in your slump, I suggest a trip to your local clubmaker to outfit you with some new gear.

Two other points.

1. Today was a beautiful day for golf. Thanks Mother Nature.
    2. Project X shafts really are nice. They have a different feel/sound than regular Rifles. Hard to describe really, but if you hit the ball hard, take a look at these guys.
    John.A sales rep could not do a better job But now you got Geoff all excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio
    I too am suffering lately with a slump. I have been adopting the shanks a bit lately, and my last few rounds, although not out of control bad (86, 85, 89, 85) have been actually alot worse than the score shows. I have not been hitting the ball that well lately. My short game around the greens has been iffy, driving the ball horrible, and my longer irons have been a mess--short irons are alright. The good news, I am at the top of the OGT standings, thanks for the help there Morris. Hopefully I can get everything back on track..
    Sould have stuck to your Cobra Paul. Great driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    John.A sales rep could not do a better job But now you got Geoff all excited.
    Given the frequency that Geoff changes clubs, it was only a matter of time.

Thread Information