+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Questions about balls

Just wondering if anyone has tried any Strata Tour Premiers? Thinking of trying some (19.99 at GT) but would like some feedback. As well anyone know where I can get my hands on some TopFlite XL2000 Exceptional Spin? Won a box of these at a tourney and I must say they are a decent ball. Can get them to check pretty well and even put a little spin on them. Not as long as the ProV1 I also play but not significantly shorter. If I could find some I'm sure they'll be cheap so any help would be appreciated.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    TopFlite XL2000 Exceptional Spin were discontinued ages ago. I used to play them. If you find some old stock they should be a bargain.

I really like and now play the Strata Tour Ultimate, so I'd be interesdted in your opinion of the Premiers.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Hey Geoff,

After an extensive search last season, I picked two three piece balls as my favourites, the Strata Tour Premier and the Maxfli Revolution Tour.

Both of these balls have the following characteristics.

1. Decent, but not super, distance with the driver.
    2. Good spin with the irons, but not excessive like the ProV1 or some other really soft balls.
    3. Good feel off the putter.
    4. Durable cover.

If I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with the Maxfli, but only if you can find them at the closeout price of $20 / dozen. I picked up 12 dozen at that price. Once I eventually run out of those, I will switch back to the Strata, assuming it's still around then.

As far as true budget balls go, the XL2000/3000 Exceptional/Super Spins are good value too.

I'm a 7.2 index, and hit down on the ball pretty hard with my irons so I put a lot of spin on the ball, which is why I don't like the spin of the ProV1. Well, that and the price.

I'm pretty sure the Tour Premiers will get along nicely with your new irons.

I don't hit down real hard on the ball, but hit it well enough to get it to check and sometimes spin. So I might just grab a box of the Premiers. Dan, if I do I'll let you know how they work. Thanks for the info John. I also tried the Tours and was not all that fond of them. Liked them but not enough to re-use.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Play the Strata Tour Ace

and the Maxfli Rev Tour. Find them quite comparable. As jvincent said above, you can get the Rev Tours for $20 / doz right now which is a great deal. The Rev Tours I find a little more durable then the Stratas.

I had tried some Aces earlier this year and liked them. But can't find them anymore as well. Any spots to pick some up jeffc?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

haven't seen them for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I had tried some Aces earlier this year and liked them. But can't find them anymore as well. Any spots to pick some up jeffc?
    you used to be able to find the blemished ones at Walmart for 24 for $20. THAT was a steal. I bought 3 boxes, and still have one left. I keep going and checking but they only seem to have Top Flites anymore. I will let everyone know (after I buy my share ) if I find some more.

Rumour has it you used to be able to get these at Crappy Tire but I've never seem them there.

as for the Rev Tours, Sport Chek had some last week...not sure about now though.

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I've been playing this ball since early May when I found them for 21.99dz at GT. I find that for the price it is very hard to beat.

I normally play that one and the Precept PWR Drive.

What I like about the Tour Premier is durability, good distance with driver, somewhat low spin with driver and it checks pretty good on the greens.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've never been a big fan of Stratas. Never found anything exceptional about them
    The XL2000 ES however is a fabulous ball and was my ball of choice for a couple of years. You'll be pleased to know that current edition of the Z-Balata is the exact same ball and goes on sale at CDN Tires for $9.99 a dozen every now and then. Great ball.for the price. The Top Flite Infinity Buttery Feel is also pretty much the same ball as the XL2000 ES.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    I alternate between Strata Tour Soft (discontinued) and Tour Premier.
    1. They are soft and relatively long on the drive (although not the longest)
    2. They respond very well on the greens with sufficient spint to stop the ball (anyways, I am not strong enough to generate significant backspin)
    3. They play straigth with irons and do not seem to generate high rotation rate.
    4. In hot wether they feel a bit "buttery", and in cold weather, they have a "rocky" feel... but much less than the Dunlop DDH/Steelcores.
    5. The cover could be more resistant, any stiff wedge shot will leave a mark on the cover. So be prepared to use two or three per game.... of feel obliged to loose a few in the woods.
    6. They compare to Precept Laddies and Maxfly Noodles but a with a bit more bite.
    There are plenty of "experienced" Stratas around. But they tend to have damaged covers and may not be worth the price.

I have found that the "cheapo" Dunlop Spirit (around 17$ /doz) is a good alternative with pretty much the same behaviour. Since I cannot find Tour Softs, it appears to be a possible replacement.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thanks for the input guys. Tour Softs can be had at GT right now for 18.99 I think. Check into it if you like that ball.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    You may want to try http://www.knetgolf.ca for good prices on used balls. This is a Canadian site and all prices are in CDN. Free shipping for orders over $100. Plus if you need a 10% off e-coupon I can give you one.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Lob Wedge TheNextTiger is on a distinguished road
    I know they have the Top-Flite Inifinity Buttery Feel's at Canadian Tire for $24.99 for 15...and they have the Rev Tour's at Sport Chek for a pretty decent price...

Lob Wedge quikracing is on a distinguished road quikracing's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of playing titleist HVC soft distance. They have amazing feel and great distance off the tee
    [b][font=Century Gothic]Derik[/font][/b]
    [color=blue]Ben Hogan, Taylormade, Callaway, Tommy Armour, Odyssey, Cleveland and titleist all in one bag = Happiness [/color]

Thread Information