CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accra Shafts

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Accra Shafts

Anyone have experience with this brand of shafts? The clubmaker I will be going to uses them, I have never used one or know anybody so your thought would be appreciated.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Never tried them but the reviews sound good to me.
    http://www.accragolf.com/news.html

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

check with davebandyk

on this forum....he uses them in his woods:

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ighlight=accra

Golfworks sells them, but you have to get it installed by them. Since they won't do a shaft Replacemnt on a Titleist 905T. It looks like my options are limited. The reviews on the net sound good and they are made in Kingston Ontario!

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    I have a T70 M4 in my driver which is a TM R580xd TP and it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by stone_bone
    Where did you have it done?

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    Had it done at Golfworks.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Golfworks sells them, but you have to get it installed by them. Since they won't do a shaft Replacemnt on a Titleist 905T. It looks like my options are limited. The reviews on the net sound good and they are made in Kingston Ontario!

Is it a deal with Accra(i.e void warranty) or they are worried about the sleeve replacement? Some clubmakers have pulled the shaft successfully saving the sleeve. Others are worried about the sleeve taking a beating. Anyway the steel sleeve is available from Billy Bob(not shown on web site)
    billybobgolf.com

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i believe it is a warranty thing. I have had 4 or 5 Accra's installed, and unless i bought a pull off of someone, whenever i wanted to get them from a store, they needed to install them. Even the ones i saw being sold by a company on eBay needed you to send the club and they would do the switch.

These are amazing shafts though, i would strongly suggest giving them a try.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The main issue is with the "feel" sleeve. It's made of aluminum which may either melt or distort under heat. Sounds like the Billy Bob option is okay though. You probably wouldn't notice the change in feel by swiching to a steel sleeve. Hopefully it's stainless steel so you don't get a nice rust ring on the bottom of your driver.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Actually I don't know if Billy Bob's is made of steel or aluminum. I just read that he sells them.

The issue is with the license for selling Accra shafts. They have a contract through UST that the shafts must be installed be a dealler. If they sell you a shaft without installing then they will lose there license. I think may have something to do with the 30 day play warranty, you don't like it within 30 dyas just take it back. As for the Titleist, the sleeve is the issue as far as Golfworks is concerned. Apparently you have to by a kit to replace the sleeve (aluminum replacement). Artisan Golf seems to be the best bet if you want to change your shaft in a 905T, and for the Accra shafts as well. It does cost a bit more if you are a 905 owner, $45 just for changing the shaft but that is because of the extra labour and the kit they have to buy.

The issue is with the license for selling Accra shafts. They have a contract through UST that the shafts must be installed be a dealler. If they sell you a shaft without installing then they will lose there license. I think may have something to do with the 30 day play warranty, you don't like it within 30 dyas just take it back. As for the Titleist, the sleeve is the issue as far as Golfworks is concerned. Apparently you have to by a kit to replace the sleeve (aluminum replacement). Artisan Golf seems to be the best bet if you want to change your shaft in a 905T, and for the Accra shafts as well. It does cost a bit more if you are a 905 owner, $45 just for changing the shaft but that is because of the extra labour and the kit they have to buy.

Go for it. In dealing with Artisan you will buy peace of mind as well. Is the Titleist warranty void if the shaft is not replaced by them?

Found the answer to my own question.

http://www.titleist.com/mediacenter/...ail.asp?id=144

The label reads...

CRITICAL WARRANTY INFORMATION Titleist Pro Titanium 905
    1. Titleist 905 drivers feature an innovative, CNC milled aluminum hosel tube for optimum weight distribution.
    2. The use of conventional reshaft methods will damage or compromise the structural integrity of the hosel tube.
    3. In order to maintain the Titleist factory warranty, all reshaft or repair work must be done by the Titleist repair department.
    4. Please call Titleist at 1-800-742-7609 or visit titleist.com/reshaft for more information.

Titleist Repair/Reshaft Policy
    Consistent with our long standing policy, the only way to maintain the factory warranty on a Titleist golf club is to have any repair or reshaft work done by Titleist. Any work done on any club outside of Titleist will void the factory warranty.

905 Reshaft and Return Procedures (through the Titleist Repair Dept)
    There are three ways to return 905 drivers to Titleist for reshaft work. All returns must have an RA# or they will not be accepted.

1. Return the product through an authorized Titleist golf professional or golf retailer.
    2. Call Titleist directly at 1-800-742-7609.
    3. Email Titleist directly at DriverReshaft@acushnetgolf.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by stone_bone
    Would you care to explain amazing?
    How many yards in distance did you pick up by changing shafts?
    How many yards more accurate are you now than with your previous shaft?

If I am going to be able to increase my club head speed by a minimum of 8 to 10 mph, (with the same effort) by buying an ACCRA shaft or hit the ball incessantly straight because of it, it might be worth the investment, otherwise, I am just poorer (or a sucker).

Does it not make sense to just buy a shaft that suits your swing characteristics rather than to try to buy a better game?

I just replaced an expensive Fujikura shaft in my 3 wood, with a Mercury Savage shaft, and hit the ball straighter and just as far. So which one is the better shaft? Does more expensive mean better?

Some of the shafts are crazy expensive but you can pick up the Accra Tour series, which is the model Don at Artisan recommends for most amatuers, for $100. That's not that bad. I am not sure of the Savage prices but I do know the NV is $120, the pro launch is $65. So it makes more sense to pay $100 for a good shaft and get the expertise and custom fitting from someone like Mr Irving. Now Golfworks is a different story, they have a good busy and have great products but i don't think they are as checked out as they like to make you believe when it comes to club building.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Go for it. In dealing with Artisan you will buy peace of mind as well. Is the Titleist warranty void if the shaft is not replaced by them?
    Yup the warranty will be gone but I think it only comes with a 1 year warranty anyway and as of April 06 it will be done. I won't be playing much golf after October so I figure since the warranty will be gone as of next season anyway, I might as well get a good shaft that is matched to my swing and take my chances. I should really look into the 1 year warranty thing though.

Good choice in the shafts for your driver. Ever since 2 years ago i decided to try the Accra shaft, i have not used anything since in my driver or fairway woods, they are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Good choice in the shafts for your driver. Ever since 2 years ago i decided to try the Accra shaft, i have not used anything since in my driver or fairway woods, they are amazing
    Again I ask what "amazing" means. What was the shaft that you used before the ACCRA and what happened to your distance, accuracy and trajectory after the change was made?

My more than uneducated guess is that once nano technology improves, that we will see the weight of the shaft go significantly down while maintaining all the current performance characteristics, and that will enable us to swing the club a little faster. Most graphite shafts are in the 60 to 80 g range but they may be able to get them down into the 30 to 40 gram range. Of course, a shaft will probably cost you $1000 or more.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I had the SE80 put into my Cobra 454 comp driver and it has been an amazing turn around. I can honestly say it has greatly improved my ball flight, both in launch angle and in dispersion. I have picked up about 40 yards on average since the switch but most of that has come from the better dispersion pattern.

I also had the new UST V2 shat installed in my fairway woods. These are also great shafts and come with a lower price tag, plus you can have anyone install them for you.

[QUOTE=BC MIST]Again I ask what "amazing" means. What was the shaft that you used before the ACCRA and what happened to your distance, accuracy and trajectory after the change was made?

By amazing i mean all of the above that you mentioned. I added i would say about 7-10 yards of distance. I also had my ballflight reduced to a nice boring trajectory that did not balloon no matter how much into the win. The most glaring difference between the Accra and the Speeder 757 that i found was the dispersion difference. I know have a shaft that only misses on one side of the fairway. I now know that no matter how slow or fast i swing, its going to be somewhere between straight and a 5-7 yard cut. This shaft is so consistent that i can swing 80% or 100% and i will get the same trajectory and shape to the shot.

[QUOTE=psniddy]I had the SE80 put into my Cobra 454 comp driver and it has been an amazing turn around. I can honestly say it has greatly improved my ball flight, both in launch angle and in dispersion. I have picked up about 40 yards on average since the switch but most of that has come from the better dispersion pattern. [QUOTE]

I am glad you like the SE80 shaft. I had it put in a Nike T60 and found it to be too much shaft for me. I found it hard to get the club squared up and was hitting big block slices. I think the super low torque was not good for me, i prefer the Tour and SC shafts.

By amazing i mean all of the above that you mentioned. I added i would say about 7-10 yards of distance. I also had my ballflight reduced to a nice boring trajectory that did not balloon no matter how much into the win. The most glaring difference between the Accra and the Speeder 757 that i found was the dispersion difference. I know have a shaft that only misses on one side of the fairway. I now know that no matter how slow or fast i swing, its going to be somewhere between straight and a 5-7 yard cut. This shaft is so consistent that i can swing 80% or 100% and i will get the same trajectory and shape to the shot.
    The distance gain is relatively unimportant, however, your description of the accuracy gains is. Inspite of how far some golfers are hitting the ball today and the emphasis a lot put on driving long, unless you can put the ball where you want to put it, distance means little.

For most golfers it is not the number of good shots they hit that determines a good score but the number of bad shots they don't hit. A shaft like yours that improves your accuracy and trajectory is infinitely more valuable than one that projects the ball minutely farther. The good game that I had today had nothing to do with the distance I hit the ball off the tee, but with precise irons and good chipping and putting.

You are absolutely right about hitting the ball straight being much superior to hitting it long. I hit 13 fairways today at Eagle Creek and shot 72!! I played there on Friday, hit only 6 fairways and shot 77. It is as simple as that, you have to hit the fairways to be able to attack the pins, or even just hit the greens for that matter.

I just bought a new R7 3wood and i think i might get another of the Accra's, the Tour 70 to put in it, it will be my 6th Accra out of the last 6 shafts i bought, i don't even bother trying anything else anymore!!

You are absolutely right about hitting the ball straight being much superior to hitting it long. I hit 13 fairways today at Eagle Creek and shot 72!! I played there on Friday, hit only 6 fairways and shot 77. It is as simple as that, you have to hit the fairways to be able to attack the pins, or even just hit the greens for that matter.

I just bought a new R7 3wood and i think i might get another of the Accra's, the Tour 70 to put in it, it will be my 6th Accra out of the last 6 shafts i bought, i don't even bother trying anything else anymore!!
    72 at Eagle Creek is a great game and your bolded statement above shows how accuracy off the tee allows you to zero in on the area of the the game that determines a good score. Because EC is so much more difficult that Greensmere my 14/14 fairways and 15 green 69 is not nearly as impressive as your 72, it is another example of the importance of keeping the ball in play.

Interestingly, yesterday was the first full round that I played with a new Accuflex Evolution nanotechnology shaft in my driver and while the distance was comparable, the trajectory was lower with an 8* SMT 455 head, than my usual Accuflex VS 339 in a 7* 455 head. When I put this shaft in my NF2 spinefinder, there was no resistance anywhere around the shaft.

I must admit that you have created an interest in trying one of the Accra shafts. Oh, God. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Don't kid yourself, a 69 at Greensmere beats a 72 at the Creek anyday. The barrier between 72 and 69 is so huge that it doesn't matter what course you shoot it at, its an amazing score. I know i have only shot in the 60's once and i know how hard mentally it is to not thinking about doing it while you are 2-3 under par. Great score!!

Just an update for anyone who is interested in these shafts. I have noticed a huge improvment in distance, accuracy, trajectory and overal feel of the club. The club feels so powerful is the only word that comes to mind, when this shaft loads it gives off just the greatest kick. My trajectory is exactly what I was looking for, being a nice high but penetrating launch, I can still get that low shot if the wind is up by teeing the ball down a bit. My acccuracy has improved and I am seeing an average of 3-4 more fairways around, it would be more if i played smart and did not get suckered by all those risk reward type shots......oh well got lots of years to play smart golf, how many do you have to just bomb the ball like an animal?!!! Lastly is the gain in distance, an easy 30-40 yards in CARRY distance from the last shaft, which is huge I think. Played Smuuglers Glen and they have a 550ish par 5 on the front which doglegs to the left and has a huge bunker complex on the corner, it's a 280 yrd carry according to the staff, its is also elevated tee box and carried it with ease. All in all, the are a lot of shafts for $100 bucks, this one should be at the top of your list to try before you lay down the your money.

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    i believe it is a warranty thing. I have had 4 or 5 Accra's installed, and unless i bought a pull off of someone, whenever i wanted to get them from a store, they needed to install them. Even the ones i saw being sold by a company on eBay needed you to send the club and they would do the switch.

These are amazing shafts though, i would strongly suggest giving them a try.
    Hi DaveVanjyk

What is amazing about this shaft?
    Kind regards, Harry

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    Lastly is the gain in distance, an easy 30-40 yards in CARRY distance from the last shaft, which is huge I think.
    Hi dbleber

What model of Accura shaft are you playing?
    Kind regards, Harry

Quote Originally Posted by TourIQ
    Hi DaveVanjyk

What is amazing about this shaft?
    The thing i found most amazing about the shaft was the tight dispersion. I found that my misses were more playable, i was barely missing fairways, whereas before i was missing the fairways by 10-15 yards. I also probably picked up about an extra 5-7 yards off the tee as well.

Thread Information