CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pay to play?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Pay to play?

I just finished reading this article http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2159332
    and thought I would see what everyone's opinion is on this matter.

I personally feel appearance fees should not be paid out to anyone playing in a PGA Event. I understand the reasons why fees are paid for European & Asian Events. They need to draw top players in order to sell tickets and bring in sponsorship money.

But I feel that anyone who carrying a PGA card should not be paid a feee to appear in an event that his tour sanctions and runs. The PGA Tour has a strong fan base, and a very strong sponsor base. Will paying Tiger Woods, Vijay etc up the sponsorship money at every tournament? Afterall in the business world today there is only so much money to be handed out for sponsorships. (If you have ever tried to ask local businesses sponsor local sports teams you will know where I am coming from on this matter)

I like the fact that professional golfers are paid for performance, not just showing up. Let's face it, if a player is given money to show up at an event does that mean he is going to perform? (Look at the LEAFS , ok ok, I am just kidding, don't become hostile )

Weigh in with your thoughts on this matter, I am curious as to how you feel in regards to appearance fees for pro golfers.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Once the PGA is complete alot of the big names are in wind down mode for the season. I think the only way to get some big names to those tournaments is to offer an appearance fee. A guy like Vijay loves to play so maybe he shouldn't be offered as much but to get someone like Tiger to your event it would be beneficial to offer an appearance fee. I think the organizers of a tournament will make up all or most of thier fee with the added attendance that someone like Tiger would generate. I personally don't agree with fees but if it gets people out to spend money at your event then go ahead. But I think they should be reasonable. Don't offer someone more than the entire purse, tell them they still have to perform if they want more....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No different than paying a hockey player to show up. It should not exceed first prize. There have been several instances in other countries where Tiger's appearence fee was smuch bigger.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Keep in mind Golfers do not have guaranteed contracts. Dave Duval is a good example.

True golfers don't have guranteed contracts. True you could argue that it is the same as paying a hockey player to show up. But golfers get to pick their schedule, hockey players get paid to show up for 82 games barring any injuries. They pick and choose which events they want to compete in. If they don't want to compete in that event why pay them? But if it takes a fee to convince them then so be it but don't go overboard. Why pay someone 3 million to attend your event when the winner only gets 700 thousand? I just don't think it is fair. I agree with Dan that it should not exceed first prize. If guys won't settle for that then don't show up.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Not fair but part of the business. Supply and demand. Do hockey players always show up? Aren't some of them overpaid? I can't stand the folllowing statement in any sport when a long term contract is signed:
    With this new contract I have secured my family's welfare.
    They forget to add that they have secured it for for the next 15 generations. f

I totally agree and realize that it is part of the business, but I'm sure most of us average joes can't understand why having the chance to win upwards of 500 thousand dollars(over a million for majors) for 4 days of work (minus practice round days) isn't enough to entice someone to attend an event.

They also have a chance to go home without getting paid at all. Is it really fair to stiff half the field of a paycheck that would at least cover expences?
    Just lop $200k off the winner and divide it among those who miss the cut. They would not miss it at the top.

No not fair, but this is the profession they chose. But in reality, how many of the players get an appearance fee? I'm sure it is not half the field. I really don't think a player like Charlie Wi gets an appearance fee. I would be curious to see just who and how many get appearance fees.

But as for not getting a paycheck if missing a cut, well that's why they can pick their own schedule. They can play in as many or a as few tournaments they want to try and earn as much money they can. And as for expenses, during alot of these tournaments players are given many things (cars, meals other amenities). So expenses are sometimes minimized. With a guy like Tiger, he makes enough in endorsments so he doesn't play as much. I'm sure if he was close to not keeping his card he would play more. But winning tournaments and majors will keep us from seeing that scenario for a while anyways.

They can play in as many or a as few tournaments they want
    I think they have to play in 13 events minimum. They also have to be in the top 125 to keep thier card if they are not exempt, so a struggling player needs to play in more events.

I wasn't aware of a minimum. But if I knew that I would have included that. I am aware of the 125 rule, but appearance fees don't help that cause though.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Well I tend to disagree with the appearance fees, especially for someone like Tiger, Phil etc. Those dudes make enough in endorsement money than all of us do working for an entire year! Plus there are the company events they appear at and get a nice cheque from.

That is what I like about pro golf. If you perform you get paid, if you don't then better luck next week! Nothing worse than watching an overpaid athlete go through the motions.

As I said in my first post, I can understand the Asian/European tours paying some appearance fees. But here in North America I just feel it is not the right thing to do.

A year ago, Mr. Hardy (84 Lumber Classic sponsor) enticed some of the best players in the world by offering them all-expense-paid charter flights to the following week’s WGC-American Express Championship in Ireland. I don't have a problem with that. All he did was give the players a ride from Point A to Point B. No cash exchanged hands.

I realize there are weaker fields at this time of year. However even those weaker fields are fun to watch play. Remember Faxon's win a couple of weeks ago? Kenny Perry was the only player entered from the World Top 10 and yet it was a great event to watch. When you factor in the cost of a ticket for a PGA event and compare it to Pro Hockey etc the PGA event is a pretty good deal. You can watch close to 12 hours of golf in one day if you are up to it.

As everyone agrees there are pros and cons to appearance fees. I just feel they are not a requirement to play an event on your home tour.

With that I am going golfing this afternoon and I have to pay for my gas to get there!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    While Appearance fees aren't allowed, I'm pretty sure players get paid to play in WED Pro-Ams at tournaments. Also, it is no coincidence Tiger Woods shows up regularly at the Buick-sponsored events (since Buick is a sponsor of his). These are just appearance fees by another name.

Thread Information