CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sore finger

Putter dan d is on a distinguished road

sore finger

About tfifteen years ago I hit a two iron out on the toe and immediately felt an excruciating pain in the mid-joint of my left middle finger. The lower part of my finger swelled immediately and was very difficult to bend (painful). I went to my doctor and he told me to quit playing until it healed. I quit for ten years. The finger took about six months to fully heal.

Now I'm retired and back into golf (read - so enthused that I'm playing four times a week!) A week ago I mi a seven iron and immediately blew-out the same finger! Back to the same doctor for the same advice - "Quit until it heals."
    Trouble is, this time I'm too much into it to stop playing. I had thick, soft arthritic grips put on my irons but any balls not hit on the sweet spot will hurt me like a demon.
    It's only the irons that hurt. I have tried taping, pain pills, even splinting the finger so that it is not on the grip but I can't maintain my grip through the swing after impact.
    Has anyone else suffered anything similar and come up with some ingenious remedy?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks, Dan D

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I broke my left thumb about 3 weeks ago and I haven't stopped playing. Being righthanded I am able to slide my thumb over the grip (kind of like a baseball grip) while still keeping my index and my pinkie ovelapped. It took some getting used to but I am now very comfortable with that technique.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    A friend of mine has a problem with his hand and he went to fatter grips. He swears it helps a lot.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    We're all Canadian golf fanatics here, dan. We have to quit golf for at least 4 months every year, and somehow we live through it.

Your health is more important than a game, so take some time off. Maybe not the full 6 months but at least 2 or 3. If you don't it will never heal properly. You're in southern California - the game will still be there when you're ready.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Fingers

I have arthritis in the hands but the only place I ever feel pain for a couple of days after playing is in the lower joint of my pinky on the lead hand. Not sure if tis the Art acting up or something I am doing.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Personaly,i would cut it off rather than give up golf!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    There's an item that ball players use called a thumb protector. It's a neoprene pad that has a hole in it for the thumb to fit snugly, and is designed to reduce bat shock. It could probably be worn in a similar fashion on the middle finger, over the second knuckle, so that the cushion would be between your finger and the grip. They are also available in a youth size that would probably fit more snugly around a finger as opposed to a thicker thumb. Here's a link to one I found. Good luck.

http://www.baseballexp.com/baseball/...goryId=1212490
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Putter dan d is on a distinguished road

Sore Finger

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff. I'm going to check into that thumb protector mentioned by Lob Wedge. Believe it Covanant - I really have fantasized about cutting the damn thing off! Lucas' suggestion about going left-handed is feasible except the middle finger on my right hand is the same way but not anywhere near as bad. I grew up in Buffalo so I know about those forced layoffs - as kids we'd play baseball on blacktop during Easter Vacation since the the diamonds were thawing quagmires. If you didn't slide into second on a close play you were a *****. El Tigre- you are far too sensible - I played today and am writing this with a finger the size and color of a bratwurst and I can't wait for Monday!
    thanks Dan D

4Iron
    Dan, if you already have a loose grip, try not missing your shot - jk, hope it heals quicker this time.

Thread Information