100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

switching clubs mid season - Good or bad idea?

I have a set of g2 irons and I do like them but I just tried my friends callaway 2004 BB's and they are so much better (for me). I love those clubs. I've tried his clubs about 3-4 times and everytime I've seriously thought about switching to them. Question is, I've really made a lot of progress this year (shot a 43 on 9 at glen mar from the tips today) and went low a few times with the g2s but these BB's have a huge cavity and its so easy to get the ball in the air, it lands so soft on the green. Does it make sense to switch from one set to another this late in the season? What are the pros and cons to be considered here? I can't really thing of anything other than the clubs are lofted differently and it might mess up my wedges and even my utility clubs if they end up over lapping

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The biggest change is the difference in distances. If you hit the other irons that much better, just switch to them and spend some time at the range or on the course figuring out your distances and you'll be fine.

"Richard"
    sounds good thanks

Lob Wedge golf18 is on a distinguished road golf18's Avatar
    I switched to Cleveland TA5's mid year and I have no regrets. I spent probabley 4-5 hours at the range before I went out and played with them. The weight of the clubs were very different from what I had been playing but, once I got used to them I started shooting much more consistent.
    [url="http://www.fairwayfinders.com"]http://www.fairwayfinders.com[/url] - Golf Website

"Richard"
    I think I'm going to do it. I just need to find a set of Callaway BB 04's now

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Switching clubs mid-season is fine. So is switching them monthly, weekly, daily, or at the turn if things are going really badly...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Here, here to that Mr. Masson. Us club junkies have to stick together.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You guys are just desprate for the majic stick and have yet to find it.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Yes, yes I am. But unlike Reid I don't have 5 sets to choose from to try and find that magic stick.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    You guys are just desprate for the majic stick and have yet to find it.
    Actually, I think Reid found his magic sticks a long, long time ago. He just refuses to believe it could have been that easy! It can't possibly be the first ones...
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Tigger is right... I'm just on a desperate search to replace a set of 1972 Hogan Apex blades that are rapidly wearing out. 5 years and 100 or so iron sets later I am still looking LOL!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Isn't there a saying that variety is the spice of life. I could never have a monogamous realtionship with my irons. I feel so cheap...
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Yes, yes I am. But unlike Reid I don't have 5 sets to choose from to try and find that magic stick.
    Hmmm. How would you like to have 4 "tour" bags full of clubs from which to choose. And that is after giving a gazillion clubs to a local high school.

Changing clubs at any time should not be a problem, however, it does take a little while to get used to the different feel of a club, and to get to know what its tendencies are and what you can do with it/them. If you find a club(s) that you really like, stay with them, as the more you get to know them, the more solid the friendship becomes.

Thread Information