100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #$$% Shanks

Lob Wedge St Andrew is on a distinguished road

#$$% Shanks

Usually they just come and go. It seems now they are here to stay. HELP!

Colin Orr
    IT IS NOT A SIMPLE CURE THERE COULD BE A VARIETY OF REASONS , FIRST TRY TO STAY DOWN THROUGH YOUR SWING(MAINTAIN YOUR SPINE ANGLE THROUGH IMPACT). IF THIS DOES NOT WORK TRY TO SEE YOUR LOCAL CPGA MEMBER

Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar

Angry Shanks.. the Voodoo curse of golf

From Peter Krause Golf....

A shank occurs when you deliver the clubhead outside the ball at impact and strike the ball off the club's hosel. The most common causes are a clubhead moving outside the target line and a lead arm that fails to rotate through impact. Two shank-stopping keys: Swing the clubhead into the ball from inside the target line, and rotate your lead arm so the back of your hand faces the target at impact.
    Lay a head cover just outside your intended swing path, parallel to the target line and slightly behind the ball. Start the club back parallel to the head cover for the first foot. In the downswing, try to swing the clubhead toward the ball without touching the head cover. Through impact, consciously rotate your lead arm in a counter-clockwise fashion so that you square up the clubface at impact. You might hit some shots to the right of the target at first, but I guarantee they won't be shanks.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I had this problem big time a couple of years ago and one quick look by an excellent instructor saw my problem in just one swing that sent the ball straight right. My problem was my balance. I was getting my weight on my toes instead of balanced. I would move the ball further away and then just get more on my toes. If I happen to s*&^k one now that is what the problem is and I get it fixed right away. Pretty frustrating when you don't know the reason for the problem.

Lob Wedge lazzal is on a distinguished road

Curing the "shank"

I had the shanks bad with the short irons, attempting to hit 3/4. 1/2 and 1/4 swing shots---The PRO that took a look at me said two things, "you need to square your shoulders even if your feet are open and stick you butt out for balance"--Apparently I was closing the clubface, but was swinging slightly outside to in and in doing so moving the swing arc out from my stance enough to hit the hosel of the club---Anyway, it cured my problem--
    lazzal

Thread Information