CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gap Wedge gronker is on a distinguished road

What if clublink goes under?

Heaven forbid, but What if I've just forked out the 22K for Kanata and Clublink goes under? (Sorry this might be somewhere else in the thread but I didn't see it..)
    gronker

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

i guess that could happen anywhere...

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    That's the same chance that was taken by the Boundary/Dome/Kanata members before Clublink took over. (Not sure if Kanata was bankrupt, but Boundary was) As well as any other big club you join. Check out financial statements, etc. Clublink is pretty big though.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    When I was flying in a few months ago, we flew over the location of Anderson links, and I'll be surprised if they open 36 holes on day 1. It looked, from above, that there was only room where they were building for 18 holes.
    When I talked to them at the golf show, they were only planning to open 18 holes to start with no immediate plans for the other 18.

As far as I'm concerned though, you can keep Emerald links. There's a number of silly holes, at least to me, and I've been unimpressed with the arrogance of the place.
    Heh, heh, long hitters never like Emerald Links. I assume that by "silly holes" you mean the two short par 4's - West 4 and East 1? Okay, they're short - but what is "silly" about them? Is it just because they tempt you to drive the green but punish you if you miss? (BTW Dave, if you haven't tried it I'm guessing you would probably like the South course better).

Can't say I've noticed an attitude problem there (unless you're talking about some of the homeowners beside the course). I've always found the staff to be courteous and friendly.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

f
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Heh, heh, long hitters never like Emerald Links. I assume that by "silly holes" you mean the two short par 4's - West 4 and East 1? Okay, they're short - but what is "silly" about them? Is it just because they tempt you to drive the green but punish you if you miss? (BTW Dave, if you haven't tried it I'm guessing you would probably like the South course better).

Can't say I've noticed an attitude problem there (unless you're talking about some of the homeowners beside the course). I've always found the staff to be courteous and friendly.
    Actually I find E1 ok. It's a bit of a risk reward hole and I don't mind a short par 4. What I don't like are E3, E4, E7, W4, S2. E3 and S2 are stupid, IMHO, sharp doglegs left that remind me of #13 or 14 at the Canadian. E4 and E7 both have trees in the middle of the fairways and W4, while short, is tough to go at as a risk reward hole, especially for anyone who may fade or slice the ball as the trees on the left really overhang things.

Length doesn't really come into it. Last time I played the course, most of the tee boxes were really ratty looking, the greens were not the best. The fairways for the most part were good, but the combination of poorer than expected conditions, especially for the price point that EL is set at, and the $$$ that we got charged really turned me off the course. I would go back to Cloverdale before I go back to EL. I really enjoy playing Hautes Plaines from the blues and it is much shorter than EL. HP from the blues is only 6000 yards while EL is anywhere between 63-6600 depending on which 18 you play. HP also has some silly holes, #6 and #14/15 are two short par 4s back to back, but the conditions are good! I only use my driver on #4, #8, #11, #12, and #16 at HP, I like a course that makes you think.

I've played the South course at EL a few times, and again it's OK. As I mentioned, I don't S2, and with the money that they are charging, I can find as good or better elsewhere for the same $$$.

Just looking at the website, it looks like they haven't raised prices since I played there last which makes them a bit more competative, but I think I will spend my money elsewhere.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Gap Wedge gronker is on a distinguished road
    I like EL, but have to say trees in the middle of fairways are REALLY silly. Not very fair punishing someone that has just make a great shot in the middle of the shortstuff and is now behind a big honkin' tree...
    gronker

"Richard"
    the tree in the middle of the fairway I'm talkinga bout is at meddows, not EL.. didn't know if that was in response to my post or if you were just saying but just thought I would clear that up

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I am a member at EL and will not return next year. They do nothing for the members at all. They charged up $15 to try out for the intersectional team! There is nothing but attitude in the pro shop. Gib has tought them to be very nice to green fee players, but they don't care about their members at all. That is why there is only about 120 of us... Everyone else left for Greyhawk once Clublink purchased them.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    ...but they don't care about their members at all. ... Everyone else left for Greyhawk once Clublink purchased them.
    I had heard the exact same story from some new GH members. It is a shame.

Lob Wedge jmayo16 is on a distinguished road jmayo16's Avatar
    My advice is aviod Canadian. They have tournaments 4 days a week. If you like the east course then go ahead.

Lob Wedge jmayo16 is on a distinguished road jmayo16's Avatar
    lol i replied to wrong post my bad

E3 and S2 are stupid, IMHO, sharp doglegs left that remind me of #13 or 14 at the Canadian. E4 and E7 both have trees in the middle of the fairways and W4, while short, is tough to go at as a risk reward hole, especially for anyone who may fade or slice the ball as the trees on the left really overhang things.
    C'mon Colby, since when does a sharp dogleg make a hole "stupid"? How can you honestly say that a single tree in the fairway make a hole "silly"? These are pretty common design features found on thousands of golf holes all across the world.

If you don't like them, fine. But IMHO for a hole to be called "stupid" or "silly" it has to EARN it - by being ridiculously unfair (Falcon Ridge #10) or abnormally hoakey (Chateau Cartier #17).
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

C'mon Colby, since when does a sharp dogleg make a hole "stupid"? How can you honestly say that a single tree in the fairway make a hole "silly"? These are pretty common design features found on thousands of golf holes all across the world.

If you don't like them, fine. But IMHO for a hole to be called "stupid" or "silly" it has to EARN it - by being ridiculously unfair (Falcon Ridge #10) or abnormally hoakey (Chateau Cartier #17).
    You say potato and I say potatoe...

A sharp dogleg is nothing more than the architect having to stick a hole into a location where there is no more room to have a proper hole. You play any championship course in the world, you may find some blind tee shots, but never an abrupt, sharp dogleg. I've played golf courses all over North America, and these dumb, stupid holes seem to proliferate in this general area. EL has a one, Canadian has a few, Heritage has a few (but the elevation changes redeem this course to some extent) And you won't find too many courses that have a tree in the middle of the landing area. One that blocks part of the teeing ground that forces you to make a shot, but not ones that block you when you have made a nice shot into the middle of the fairway.

As for Falcon Ridge, the course conditions, beyond the stupid 10, 11 and 12th holes (the twelfth also qualifies as it is a sharp dogleg, short par 4 and a tree in the fairway all in one hole) make it a non-option for me. I've never played Chateau Cartier, but I have played silly uphill holes at Brockville and Crowbush.
    Colby

You play any championship course in the world, you may find some blind tee shots, but never an abrupt, sharp dogleg.
    Augusta National #13
    Pebble Beach #1, #3
    Pinehurst #7
    Torrey Pines #6

...to name a few. I'm sure I could come up with more...

Augusta National #13
    Pebble Beach #1, #3
    Pinehurst #7
    Torrey Pines #6

...to name a few. I'm sure I could come up with more...
    Augusta National #13 - 510 yard par 5 Not an abrupt dogleg
    Pebble Beach #1 - 381 yard par 4 with the right hand dogleg starting almost 280 yards in.
    Pebble Beach #3 - 390 yard dogleg left with the end of the dogleg 270-280 in Still not a 90* plus dogleg
    Pinehurst #7 - Close to 90* right, betwen the 150 and 100 yard markers on a 400+ yard par 4
    Torrey Pines #6 south is a gentle dog leg right on a 560 yard par 5

Out of all of those examples, only one is a sharp dogleg. All the rest are standard doglegs which is fine.

Now lets look at the ones I say, at least to me, are stupid:

EL E3 - 387 from the blues with the sharp dogleg right in the middle. Pretty much the only safe shot you have is just around 200 yards straight out. Try to cut the corner and you are stuck behind the trees. And if you hit the course management shot, you are left with a 200+ yard shot in. Our you can go over the trees and hope for the best.

EL S2 - 386 from the blues and you need to get to the 150 marker. And the right side of the fairway at the 150 marker. Again the dogleg is in the middle of the hole. A sharp dogleg unlike any of the examples you gave me.

CDN 12 - 320 yard par 4 that takes a good drive to the end and then you turn an abrupt left turn and go for the green with a wedge. This is sharper than 90*.
    Colby

just to stir the pot

here are 3 holes, Augusta 13, EL E3, EL S2. I've drawn lines from the tee boxes to the center of the fairway, and then to the green. It would appear, that these holes are all very similar with respect to the doglegs.

WRT EL E3, from the blues, I would say you have more than 200 yds to hit it. It's more like 230-240. Same with EL S2.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    Hey THOTHO. As the club captain of GlenMar and given your propensity for playing with cheaters and getting hit, I'd like to be given advance notice of your tee times next year if you join our club.

Just kidding. Hope you get in. Just to clear up the long waiting list at GlenMar concern. They basically throw out their waiting list every year and start with a new one as of August 1st. Anyone interested in joining, needs to get their name on the list by Aug 1st. every year.

Out of all of those examples, only one is a sharp dogleg. All the rest are standard doglegs which is fine.
    Sorry Colby, they all turn 90* left or right and that makes them a sharp dogleg. Glad to hear that you don't think one of the classic golf holes in the world is stupid though.

EL E3 - 387 from the blues with the sharp dogleg right in the middle. Pretty much the only safe shot you have is just around 200 yards straight out. Try to cut the corner and you are stuck behind the trees. And if you hit the course management shot, you are left with a 200+ yard shot in. Our you can go over the trees and hope for the best.
    So, 200 yards to the corner + 187 to the green makes it stupid? The landing area is generous enough, and really long hitters can cut the corner (I've seen it done), so what is the problem?

EL S2 - 386 from the blues and you need to get to the 150 marker. And the right side of the fairway at the 150 marker. Again the dogleg is in the middle of the hole. A sharp dogleg unlike any of the examples you gave me.
    If it is 236 to the corner and 150 to the green, the dogleg is not in the middle (why a dogleg in the middle is stupid I do not know). It's a dogleg and you can't cut the corner. So what? From the whites I play 3-wood and mid-iron and have never scored more than a bogey.

CDN 12 - 320 yard par 4 that takes a good drive to the end and then you turn an abrupt left turn and go for the green with a wedge. This is sharper than 90*.
    So?? Again the landing area is generous, and the long hitters can cut the corner. Why is that a problem?

Colby, I guess we just have a different definition of "stupid" or "silly" holes. There are LOTS of golf holes I don't like (in fact, EL East 4 is one of them), but to be labelled "stupid" it really has to be SPECIAL.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    here are 3 holes, Augusta 13, EL E3, EL S2. I've drawn lines from the tee boxes to the center of the fairway, and then to the green. It would appear, that these holes are all very similar with respect to the doglegs.

WRT EL E3, from the blues, I would say you have more than 200 yds to hit it. It's more like 230-240. Same with EL S2.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
    If you have that much time, put them to scale! A 510 yard par 5 dogleg, even a sharp one, is nothing like a 400 yard par 4 dog leg. And both of the ones at EL are sharp doglegs left. So most people are right handed, fade or slice the ball a bit, so if they hit driver, they are probably on the right hand side of the fairway near the cartpath and have a ridiculously long shot into the green. Take the peninsula away from EC 18 and you have a sharp dogleg left par 5. Nothing to it. Certainly not like the holes on EL.
    Colby

actually they should be...

as they are right off google. Augusta seems a bit short though.....

Colby, I guess we just have a different definition of "stupid" or "silly" holes. There are LOTS of golf holes I don't like (in fact, EL East 4 is one of them), but to be labelled "stupid" it really has to be SPECIAL.
    Ahhh, and we come to the meat of the issue. My definition of a stupid golf hole is different than yours. It has nothing to do with scoring, they just don't suit my eye, and as I'm the one paying to play, I get to be the judge for me on what I feel is stupid or not.

I am much freer with my declaration of a stupid golf hole, I have a lot of them

At EL, it's those holes, the poor conditions last time I played there, and the apparent arrogance of those I've met there that have turned me off of that course. I get to play Kanata for free, but haven't been there this year as it's not a favourite course of mine to play. And there's other courses I will only play if there is a tournament going on or something. I have too many options available to waste my time playing a course I don't like. Other people like it, and by all means should go and play it. I'm not trying to nail my shoes on anyone's feet, I was just trying to explain why I don't like it.
    Colby

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    Just kidding. Hope you get in. Just to clear up the long waiting list at GlenMar concern. They basically throw out their waiting list every year and start with a new one as of August 1st. Anyone interested in joining, needs to get their name on the list by Aug 1st. every year.
    Does that mean the waiting list is full up now that it's a month and a half after it was opened?

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Does that mean the waiting list is full up now that it's a month and a half after it was opened?
    Last I heard, there were about 25-30 names on the list. You'd have to call and find out if they are taking more names.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    I 'm convinced that clubs that don't make room for members will loose a lot in a not so distant future. The Nintendo generation does not play much golf and with less and less companies offering total job security I predict corporate outings will die slowly. Clubs will have to go back to a solid core of members in order to survive. These members will come from the retiring baby boomers.

Thread Information